Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 06:44 PM   #1

Redwood Backup Camera

We are considering a backup camera for our 2013 36RL. Two questions: 1.) Is the RW model I have prewired for a backup camera (many RV's are in this vintage)?

2.) What would the best choice be? Some are wireless (video signal), some have easy to view large in-truck displays, some have good resolution while some do not, some have good color (at the display) while some have lack luster color, some have night aiding LED's for illuminating the area behind the RV while others do not.

My choice would be good color display, a good single or dual camera 5-7 inch display in the cab (second camera input for a possible dash cam), wireless video up to 100 feet and backup illumination for night time landings. Affordability would be in the $400-600 range. Have reviewed several RV user sites that rave and rant about certain brands or features. Also reviewed Trailer Life and Motor Home magazine articles. Getting RW owner insights would be most welcomed.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Bob ~ let us know what you come up with. I'm looking also. I know Brad (atom ant) tried the wireless and didn't like it and went wired. But that was also about 18-24 months ago and in this age, that is ancient technology.

Our rigs are not prewired, I have a '13 RL same as you. I have been looking at the Furrion brand, a number of different combinations and pricing is in the $4-600.00 range.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #3

Bob,

I tried the Rear View Safety Cam wireless and it gave me fits. RVS-2CAM | Wireless Backup Camera System with Dual Screen Monitor | Rear View Safety Standing still, I could disconnect the truck and drive to the end of the parking lot and it was a perfect picture (even through a metal building), but all goes bad when rolling down the road. It made a great back up camera, but couldn't transmit information fast enough to be a full time monitor while driving. It would lock up and a car would be behind me in the camera that actually just passed me Trying to transmit cracks in the road flashing by would lock it up in about 20 seconds.

I went to their wired. Awesome picture (better and brighter than the Ford nav backup display).

RVS-770613-213 | Backup Camera System with Trailer Tow Quick Connect Kit | Rear View Safety

In retrospect - I wish I would have bought the 2 camera version and stacked them so one looked behind me and one down at the hitch. When I installed the Jeep, I could see the hitch and a lot of the Jeep, but not the cars behind me. When I didn't have the Jeep on, I would have to get on the ladder and adjust the camera up so I could see the lanes behind me for fun. (nice to watch someone come up on you and pass).

I noticed the newer MHs (not mine) have cameras with a joystick that you can adjust up or down from the dash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150910_132949.jpg (143.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06011.jpg (104.9 KB, 9 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:27 PM   #4

Will do and thanks.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
Old 06-01-2016, 09:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Bob,

I tried the Rear View Safety Cam wireless and it gave me fits. RVS-2CAM | Wireless Backup Camera System with Dual Screen Monitor | Rear View Safety Standing still, I could disconnect the truck and drive to the end of the parking lot and it was a perfect picture (even through a metal building), but all goes bad when rolling down the road. It made a great back up camera, but couldn't transmit information fast enough to be a full time monitor while driving. It would lock up and a car would be behind me in the camera that actually just passed me Trying to transmit cracks in the road flashing by would lock it up in about 20 seconds.

I went to their wired. Awesome picture (better and brighter than the Ford nav backup display).

RVS-770613-213 | Backup Camera System with Trailer Tow Quick Connect Kit | Rear View Safety

In retrospect - I wish I would have bought the 2 camera version and stacked them so one looked behind me and one down at the hitch. When I installed the Jeep, I could see the hitch and a lot of the Jeep, but not the cars behind me. When I didn't have the Jeep on, I would have to get on the ladder and adjust the camera up so I could see the lanes behind me for fun. (nice to watch someone come up on you and pass).

I noticed the newer MHs (not mine) have cameras with a joystick that you can adjust up or down from the dash.
Brad,
Thanks for your quick reply. The RVS you recommended is under my cost target and appears to be well built. Although direct wired it appears to be a better way to go. With some sweat equity the install should be doable. The reviews on Amazon are mostly favorable for this unit however as each installation and installer skills are different I believe your recommendation for a direct wired is best for our RW.

I installed a CB in our 2016 Silverado High Country which also required drilling through body work as I wanted a built in look to preserve the truck's really nice appearance. The truck's wiring and cables are extensive and a bear to miss when drilling. Really had to be careful where the antenna coax was routed to prevent RF interference with the truck's sensitive devices. Sure not the old days!

Looks like the camera's video cable entrance into the truck will have a similar challenge. Wiring into the RW's rear center-upper running light for power is also what I would do. Routing the video cable down through the cap looks like a challenge.The second camera idea is also a good concept to consider before starting the work as doing the install twice would be painful.

Question - as my upper running lights are the same as your previous RW did the upper street side light fixture, when removed give access from the upper top area to the bottom of the RV's rear cap? The underside looks well sealed so I guess I will need to find a way to get my fish wire down through the cap's wall to the lower area then locate the end of the fish wire through the bottom area. After that the rest looks much easier. The power cable connector is also on the street side lower area. Wondering if it could be a challenge to get the fish tape by it. Is fishing from the bottom towards the top easier?

Thanks again. Trust you are enjoying your MH. That's something on my bucket list.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAircraft View Post
Question - as my upper running lights are the same as your previous RW did the upper street side light fixture, when removed give access from the upper top area to the bottom of the RV's rear cap? The underside looks well sealed so I guess I will need to find a way to get my fish wire down through the cap's wall to the lower area then locate the end of the fish wire through the bottom area. After that the rest looks much easier. The power cable connector is also on the street side lower area. Wondering if it could be a challenge to get the fish tape by it. Is fishing from the bottom towards the top easier?

Thanks again. Trust you are enjoying your MH. That's something on my bucket list.
Bob,

Bob, given the cables are made up, I had to start in the front and fish backwards.

I used the center marker light to access the camera wiring. Then the street side marker light to bring the fish tape over to the side. From there, fished down into the cap and grabbed it through the tailight. That cap is hollow, so it practically fell down to the bottom of the cap from the marker light. However, that street side marker light is tight working conditions because behind it is the corner of he roof where they made a corner fold in the membrane.

Once down by the tailight, it was reasonably easy to get it into the belly. It was harder to get my hand into the belly area than it was the fish tape.

fishing along the belly inside the frame is pretty easy. Getting around the tanks in the front was a little tougher and took some time. I ran with the main wiring harness coming out of the batteries down into the frame. Getting up to the pin box was super easy.

On the truck, I put the plug in the back of the bad adjacent to the tailgate. There are already some holes there that I enlarged with a chassis punch. I took out the tailight for full access in that area. Followed the frame up to the firewall, then inside. From there - you can actually get the device that allows you to run the video through your nav radio, or add the additional monitor. I didn't want to spend the $350 to install the unlock device on the nav, so I opted for the monitor on the windshield. I think Ken went with a mirror mount which I thought about as well. Not sure how that turned out for him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05996.jpg (257.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06000.jpg (107.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05999.jpg (128.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06005.jpg (169.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06019.jpg (162.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06020.jpg (468.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-02-2016, 12:46 AM   #7

here are more pics of the truck. I ran the cable into a little box ford has on the dash, and I could store it in there or pull it out to connect to the camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06025.jpg (155.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06029.jpg (484.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06032.jpg (198.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06041.jpg (225.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06039.jpg (166.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06042.jpg (239.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-02-2016, 01:55 AM   #8

Quote:
here are more pics of the truck. I ran the cable into a little box ford has on the dash, and I could store it in there or pull it out to connect to the camera.
Awesome photos of the install. Lots to think about. Thanks again for your assistance.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:39 AM   #9

Sure! made me miss my truck for a moment...........
Old 06-02-2016, 02:40 AM   #10
Dan

Quote:
Nice job

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #11

As for a camera system, I bought a system at Quartzsite last winter, I've set it up a couple of times (it comes with 120V adapters for that purpose) to try it out, but I haven't started the install yet. It comes with a wireless router that's programmed for the purpose, I plan to set up the router midway between the wireless camera and the truck (in the cupboard in the bedroom where the antenna amplifier is for the 12V supply). It's designed to run with an android or apple smart phone, I tried it with an android tablet for larger screen size, seems to work well on trial so far.

https://www.rvrearviewcamera.com/
Old 06-02-2016, 05:12 PM   #12

I hard wired mine somewhat similar to Brad. I bought a Tadi brothers camera and monitor. I went with the rear view mirror monitor. It clips on to the existing rear view mirror and is reflective. I don't remove it when I'm not towing.

The truck was wired using the factory Ford upfitter switches for power to the monitor. The monitor cables are attached in the bed under the rail and terminate where the 7 pin plug lives on the bed wall.

Wiring the RV wasn't bad either. The monitor and camera came with a video and power cable that were both RCA plugs. I have the small marker lights. We removed the center and used 1/4" fish tape to go to the street side tail light. (The 1/2" fish tape I had was too stiff.) That went easy. From there, we ran the cable along the frame to the propane tank, into the front generator box and through pin box.

All in all, it took about 12 supervisors and three workers!

Attached are a few photos of the monitor.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monitor installed.jpg (233.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Monitor.jpg (113.4 KB, 3 views)
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:46 PM   #13

That looks nice Ken!
Old 06-02-2016, 07:53 PM   #14

Brad,

I just didn't have the dash space for another monitor. The wires would have drove me crazy. I liked the clean install. Wires were easily slipped into the headliner.

The rear view mirror camera is a bit faint in the bright sun but it works while in motion to spot traffic behind me.

BTW, this is a 2 camera system. They had a license plate camera that one of the guys opted for. I didn't run the 2nd video cable, but could to add the 2nd camera....
Old 06-02-2016, 08:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Brad,

I just didn't have the dash space for another monitor. The wires would have drove me crazy. I liked the clean install. Wires were easily slipped into the headliner.

The rear view mirror camera is a bit faint in the bright sun but it works while in motion to spot traffic behind me.

BTW, this is a 2 camera system. They had a license plate camera that one of the guys opted for. I didn't run the 2nd video cable, but could to add the 2nd camera....
Very nice install.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Brad,

Ah - who cares what's behind you!

Ya I like that install. Rear view safety cam had a mirror monitor and it was free to substitute it for the other, but I don't think it served as a mirror. It was more for like bobtail trucks and the like that didn't need that mirror. That was why I hesitated, but now seeing yours, I think theirs was exactly the same. I should have pursued further.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:09 PM   #17

The only thing I use the inside rear view mirror for is to look at the Cats in the cage behind us.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:41 PM   #18

Brad,

You're right. Some are nonreflective, designed for bobtails or box vans. I got this one specifically because it was reflective.....not perfect and a compromise for sure, but overall, I'm happy with it!