Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #1

Recaulking Roof

Has anybody had there roof re-caulked by a RV repair shop. If so how much. You can send it per message on my inbox.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #2

Per Alpha Ply Systems, if you want to caulk it yourself you should use their caulk which would be Alpha Systems 1010 sealant which is a non self-leveling (used when there is a chance of dripping) and Alpha Systems 1016 or 1021 Sealant which is a self-leveling (used around most fixtures and caps) I found the 1010 and the 1021 at PPLMotorhomes in Houston for $6.20 per tube. I ordered 2 tubes each so that if needed I will have it on hand. According to Alpha Systems, unless the old caulk is easily removed, you just clean the area and then put new caulk over the old. They have instructions on their website on proper caulking and repair of the Alpha Ply roofing material.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
Per Alpha Ply Systems, if you want to caulk it yourself you should use their caulk which would be Alpha Systems 1010 sealant which is a non self-leveling (used when there is a chance of dripping) and Alpha Systems 1016 or 1021 Sealant which is a self-leveling (used around most fixtures and caps) I found the 1010 and the 1021 at PPLMotorhomes in Houston for $6.20 per tube. I ordered 2 tubes each so that if needed I will have it on hand. According to Alpha Systems, unless the old caulk is easily removed, you just clean the area and then put new caulk over the old. They have instructions on their website on proper caulking and repair of the Alpha Ply roofing material.
That helped a lot and I will be doing it myself instead of paying the dealer the 1100.00 he quoted me. Thanks again
Old 02-09-2014, 02:08 AM   #4

Buddy, I thought your dealer did it for free on your last inspection?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Buddy, I thought your dealer did it for free on your last inspection?
They did along with changing part of the roof for free, but they check it every 90 days and said they only did what was damaged. I have had it done every 90 days since it was new. I don't understand how there was damage to start with. If you want something done right I guess you have to do it yourself.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #6

Quote:
My caulk came in today. What do you clean the old caulk with? The 1021 tube says solvant.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Wallace View Post
My caulk came in today. What do you clean the old caulk with? The 1021 tube says solvant.
That's really weird because on Alpha website they state that you should not use solvent when cleaning because it can damage existing caulk and weaken plastic parts on the roof. They say to clean the area to be re-sealed using regular soap and water, then let it dry, then apply a generous amount of 1010 sealant over the top of any existing caulk in the area to be re-sealed. I believe the only difference between the 1010 and the 1021 is that one is self leveling and the other is not.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:30 PM   #8

Quote:
That's really weird because on Alpha website they state that you should not use solvent when cleaning because it can damage existing caulk and weaken plastic parts on the roof. They say to clean the area to be re-sealed using regular soap and water, then let it dry, then apply a generous amount of 1010 sealant over the top of any existing caulk in the area to be re-sealed. I believe the only difference between the 1010 and the 1021 is that one is self leveling and the other is not.
I'm doing the soap and water.They mensioned cleaning the metal on the 1021 tube with solvent before caulking, probable the A/C UNIT and tv antenna bracet.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Wallace View Post
I'm doing the soap and water.They mensioned cleaning the metal on the 1021 tube with solvent before caulking, probable the A/C UNIT and tv antenna bracet.
If I was going to add caulk instead of remove old caulk and re-caulk, I wouldn't want to lessen the integrity of the existing caulk by using solvent. I wasn't there when the dealer added caulk to my roof but I provided the Alpha caulk and told him that only soap and water should be used. I know from checking out my roof that he indeed added a great deal of caulk over existing caulk but unfortunately I don't know how he prepped it. I can tell you that you do not want to walk on any of that caulk because it stays somewhat soft for quite awhile. I made sure the dealer used the nonsagging or non-self-leveling to caulk where the roof meets the front fiberglass cap and curves over the side where the downspout is. It was cracking real bad right there.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:33 AM   #10

Quote:
If I was going to add caulk instead of remove old caulk and re-caulk, I wouldn't want to lessen the integrity of the existing caulk by using solvent. I wasn't there when the dealer added caulk to my roof but I provided the Alpha caulk and told him that only soap and water should be used. I know from checking out my roof that he indeed added a great deal of caulk over existing caulk but unfortunately I don't know how he prepped it. I can tell you that you do not want to walk on any of that caulk because it stays somewhat soft for quite awhile. I made sure the dealer used the nonsagging or non-self-leveling to caulk where the roof meets the front fiberglass cap and curves over the side where the downspout is. It was cracking real bad right there.
I'll be doing mine from now on. Don't trust anybody other than maybe my sons. I'll put the slides out to feel more secure.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:14 AM   #11

Buddy I agree, I'm the only one caulking my roof going forward. I did mine this past summer and will be checking it again soon.