Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #1

Re: running with full tanks...

On another forum a long time user (and RVDA/RVIA Master Certified RV Technician) posted this about tanks levels when towing:

We spent most of the day today reinstalling a dump tank that had fallen out of a travel trailer. In the event, that sound like a rare event, it is not. Many manufacturers use a flanged tank and the flange tucks up under a metal rail running side-to-side. It looks stout and it is provided you don't run down the road with full tanks. If you do that, the shear weight of the water bouncing up and down deflects the flanges and the entire tank drops right out ripping off the dump lines as it goes.

Really a heck of a job getting it all back together and on this one I had to cut open a wall and then install an access panel to cover the opening. If you have to run with full tanks make sure they are supported underneath with straps or better still a piece of plywood strapped up against the tank, would be my advice.

and make sure the straps are held on with more than just tape:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tankCapture.JPG (27.5 KB, 10 views)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
Traveling

I worry about this a lot. The whole idea behind a fresh water tank is to take your water with you. However we hear again and again that the tank is so heavy and it is not well supported. This does not make any sense to me.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #3

I had this happen on a motor home years ago. I guess it's called boondocking or dry camping. We were going hunting in Canada. All the tanks were full. Running up and down the dirt road the gray water tank exploded and broke free. I was so glad the motor home was a rental.
In my RW we will never be anywhere but a campground and we empty all the tanks before we start to travel. In the event we need a bathroom break there's a gallon jug of fresh water for a toilet flush in the bathroom.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #4

I can't look

We haul full fresh water, (normally not waste water for any distance), but I have not checked the supports. I live on faith!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I can't look

We haul full fresh water, (normally not waste water for any distance), but I have not checked the supports. I live on faith!
Please have a look and tell the rest of us what's under there! I travel with 1/3-1/4 tank just so we always have water for the bathroom even when sitting on the side of the road. It's particularly important to have some extra water when the trailer is not level as sometimes the tank suction won't have enough water to work properly.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
Traveling

I actually cannot say I have heard of a lot of occurrences of tanks falling out... I hope that's because it's UNUSUAL!! I cannot think of much worse than having that happen while underway. WOW. If they put a 90 gallon freshwater tank in the coach, that is to HOLD 90 gallons of water while underway and it should be reinforced appropriately. Same goes with the waste tanks. We almost NEVER travel with anything in the waste tanks except a few toilet flushes along the way... but it's not because we are afraid THEY WILL FALL OUT!! We do travel with about 1/3 full on freshwater for the same reason as lwg... Mama don't like public restrooms!! Mines nice and clean.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #7

We were told before we left the dealer never to travel with tanks full because the RV mechanic had seen many drop right out of the bottom. That said we did exactly that and I can't say the roads were smooth! We were told that we were hooked up to city water while overnighting our first night in the RW at the dealership. Well evidently someone filled the tank and it wasn't until we got home that we found out! It didn't drop out, but we make it a practice to drain the water and sewer before we head out on the road. That would be one expensive fix! We were at the factory tour, but I don't know that we saw how the tanks were secured.
JohnEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
Traveling

Our dealership FILLED our tank! Bottom line is: a tank is meant to be filled, that's what the "tank" is for, otherwise, there should JUST be a city water connection. If the RV cannot support that size tank full of liquid, it should be a smaller tank or reinforced better. The end. (that being said, it will be rare when we travel with a full freshwater tank, unless we are going for some sweet boondocking!)
Old 08-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #9

We have dry camped with a 100 gallons of fresh for MANY years and this is the first time that I have ever heard about tanks falling out. TNT is right if there is such a potential for a tank to come out ...then don't put one in that big or even better none at all. I'm sure the RV industry really by now woud have corrected this. That would really go big on YOUTUBE ...here we have the service center with blah, blah, blah and water fill, oh and sometimes these tanks will fall out when filled and traveling down the road.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #10

I only carry a few gallons of water to flush the commode, we stay in campgrounds with at least water and electricity. We stay at least 2 weeks everywhere we go so we don't need the extra weight of water or the generator. I have a Honda 6500 IS but don't bring it. The Redwood is home base while we explore different area around where we choose to stay, Generally a 50 mile radius of home base. We decided that we've worked 33 years each with the State of Louisiana and want to enjoy our retirement.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #11

Same as Foxfire, only carry a gal jug for potty stops, so far works for us. As far a carrying a full load, that's 850+lbs, it would have to be a very substantial tank & bracing to handle that bouncing around on some of the highways we've been on lately. Not to mention all that weight is in front of the axles putting a high percentage of that weight on your TV.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:57 PM   #12

I hear you about the "weight" for sure! It wouldn't be very nice to see it falling on the road. When on the road we put about 10 gal in the fresh water and all else is empty. If we boondock, we fill as close as possible to the site and take out time in the final leg. I've heard of it happening a few time over the years.
usaf1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:49 AM   #13
Site Team

Danny, FWIW, in my experience (and Dave's ). The RL'S tow considerably better with 25-30 gals in the fresh tank. If I know that I'm going to be in really windy, nasty conditions, I'll put 60-70 gals in fresh tank. Makes a noticeable change in stability of the rig for the better.

Just my .02
Old 08-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #14

In our camping experiences with older 5th wheel trailers we used to travel with full water tanks as we generally camped in provincial parks that had no FW at campsites and the dump/fill stations were set up to dump/fill on departure, not easy to get into on arrival.

Now that we generally stay in full service campgrounds we run about 1/3 of a FW tank so we can use water in-transit. We do plan a few days in a provincial park in September and will fill the FW tank before we leave home.

I'd be surprised and upset if we lost a tank that wasn't installed to withstand running full, I would consider it something to report to the appropriate safety authorities for a recall of the unit.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Danny, FWIW, in my experience (and Dave's ). The RL'S tow considerably better with 25-30 gals in the fresh tank. If I know that I'm going to be in really windy, nasty conditions, I'll put 60-70 gals in fresh tank. Makes a noticeable change in stability of the rig for the better.

Just my .02
Good point.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote