Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 04:52 AM   #1

Rally Disc Brake Demo

I have been asked to comment on the “Disc Brake Demo” and have been reluctant because based on my experience it was a cluster. Not what I have come to expect from Titan.
While the end result was everything I would expect from an Electric/Hydraulic Disc Brake System, stopping power, how we got there was not what I expected.

Lesson learned, again! Check all parts before starting install! We had wrong parts shipped in and a fitment issue on a caliper. Fortunately, I had a Kodiak system with me and we ended up with a hybrid Titan/Kodiak system on my 38GK. As I have previously stated, “There are no performance differences between Kodiak and Titan disc brakes” and are in fact interchangeable. The performance difference is in the Titan EHB Actuator and is the only actuator I will use.

I felt attendance was good, some 20 +/- stopped by for some conversation and about 6 that spent more than 2-3 hours.

The 38GK had very poor braking and found 1 brake was full of grease. Shane, it was the right rear, just like yours. The stopping power of disc brakes is truly amazing. The ability to stop over 50% faster without locking things up truly adds a level of safety unmatched by any other $3k investment.

I left Shipshewana early Sunday and drove 500 miles to our Union City, TN. Plant to check and hand pick calipers for some orders I have in the system. Loaded my truck with 3 systems, 800 lbs. and am now at Cajun RV Park, Breaux Bridge, La. And working my way back to Oklahoma doing 2 training conversions on the way.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:30 AM   #2

Ron,

I was watching the group collected around your rig while the work was ongoing. Certainly appeared to me like you had a captive audience. That was a rally "first," and cluster or not, I think everyone appreciated the effort. I hope you'll consider doing this again at a future rally. The interest was clearly present.

~ Tracy
Old 08-12-2015, 05:37 AM   #3

As long as Redwood allows, I will do it again next year. This time we will be picking/drawing for the opportunity to get a Disc Brake System installed at the Rally for $1000, labor only. Titan will be furnishing the parts at no charge.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Guy View Post
As long as Redwood allows, I will do it again next year. This time we will be picking/drawing for the opportunity to get a Disc Brake System installed at the Rally for $1000, labor only. Titan will be furnishing the parts at no charge.
Ron , that's a GREAT DEAL ! ! ! Someone will get a great bargain next year... Thanks for making that happen..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:42 PM   #5

Ron thanks for the demo! It may not have gone as smoothly as you wanted, but it provided me the insight needed to tackle this conversion. Based on the demo, I will be updating my brakes in the near future. Observing the step-by-step process, along with your explanations of the system operation, was great! Thanks again for setting this demo up.
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:24 PM   #6

Ron, looking forward to getting back in touch with you to set me up. I'm really working my truck brakes. Wish I could have made the rally this year. Hope to catch up to you soon.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #7
Site Team

Wink

Ron,

Thanks for setting up the brake install demonstration at the Rally. This was very informative to me to see the entire process from jacking up the trailer, supporting the trailer, greasing the bearings, installing the grease seals, installing the disks and calipers and bleeding the brake lines. It gave me a lot of confidence to tackle some of these jobs in the future. It always helps to see some of these things being done first before one tackles the job myself.

Also Ron, I want to thank you, the Redwood factory service crew and Lippert's service tech again for the help all of you gave me on diagnosing and resolving the loss of braking on my RW. After discussing the problem with you, self educating myself online about the Carlisle brake actuator and the CAM module, I discovered, somewhat coincidentally, that there were 3 failures. First, apparently there was a loose wiring issue on the CAM module. Once that was corrected, I then found that the break-away switch was defective; it previously had function okay when checked. I aske RW to replace the switch for me which they did with no question. Finally, after getting the CAM module and the brake actuator working, I hitched up the truck to the trailer and manually activated the brakes; the pump motor operated but still no brakes on trailer. Randy (from the factory service center) then contacted Lippert and they sent out their tech on Friday morning and found that there was a leak in the hydraulic lines. After checking, he found that a flexible hydraulic line at the left front trailer axle was ruptured from a road hazard. The Lippert tech did not have the part on his truck. Now here is the best part......since I knew you had some extra parts for your demo, I offered to buy a line from you (Ron) and you wouldn't let me pay you.....you gave it to me. Ron is one great guy!! Anyway, the line was installed and the brake lines were bled and I had brakes again.

Thanks again Ron.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #8

Guy ,
That's a great story !! I love to hear stuff like that...I had the disc conversion done on my last fifth wheel.. ended up removing it a week later and returning to my old drum brakes.. LONG story short... Between- The Installer-Ford-Titan-and Kodiak , NOBODY could tell me what was causing my issue and I had a trip planned that I NEEDED to be able to stop :-) So after many, many , many calls to a bunch of folks , and a lot of $$$$$ I went back to what I had,, very upsetting..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:05 AM   #9

Quote:
That is awesome!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:45 PM   #10

Ron,

Thank you for the demo. It was great talking to you and the guys that did the conversion. I was one of the few that stayed till the end. I will be doing this in the future and ordering from you.

Rick
Old 08-16-2015, 12:43 AM   #11

Quote:
You can put ours in the drawing for next years Rally
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:45 AM   #12

Pretty sure we won't be able to make rally next either, but put my name in the hat anyway. Lol!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote