Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2020, 11:16 PM   #1
Site Team

Question for you Electrical Gurus

Ok all - here’s my next project. Please understand that I know just enough about AC electric to be dangerous if it involves more than simple runs. I’m in need of advice and maybe a diagram of how to do this the right way.

I’m going to add a second 50 amp shore inlet up front just to the right of the pinbox. My coach does have gen prep and a transfer switch, does not have onboard generator and I’m not adding one.

Currently, I have a 2000 watt inverter that is wired to one leg on the generator side of the transfer switch. That way when we are on the road, I shut off all breakers on that side of the main at the panel so that only the kitchen slide is powered. That way we can also use the tv if wanted. Batteries are 2- Group 31 Interstate Deep Cycle. This has worked well so far and I’d like to keep it this way.

So......... I’m putting a generator tray in the truck bed next to the hitch. I have a Champion 3100 that will fit nicely there and also the Roll n Lock cover will clear it when unhooked from the coach. I also have the special genset power cord that has a 30 amp at the generator end and a 50 amp 4 wire at the coach end. This will also give me the option of plugging in the coach at the front in case we are somewhere that has a weird power setup.

Here’s the wiring diagram question - When I bring the wiring in from the socket next to the pin, my thoughts are that I should come into a junction box. At that point, the red hot would continue on to the transfer switch. The black hot and the green ground and white neutral would be joined with the same colors coming from the inverter. The inverter has an automatic current sensor for switching over. I also have the manual on/off switch for it mounted in the left side propane cabinet so it can be accessed easily.

Am I right in thinking this would be the correct way to wire this so that when the generator is not running, and there is no shore power on the rear socket, then the inverter would feed just the one side of the panel the way it does now ? Is there any danger in doing it this way ? I’m planning on manually turning the inverter off before starting the generator, but I’m thinking it should also automatically turn off.

I’m using a section of 50 amp shore cord for the lead in from the socket and the wiring from the inverter is 6AWG flexible marine copper. About 4’ long.

Thoughts and comments appreciated !!
Old 05-20-2020, 01:25 AM   #2

I can see it will work but If you ever have the inverter turned on and start the generator your going to wish you didn't..... The smoke is going to come out of the magic black box and need replacing. Is there a reason you don't want to tie your portable generator into the prep input on the automatic transfir? I know any time I get distracted when doing something like this I check it twice, cant afford a stupid moment! I have the portable 110 generator connected to the house , it feeds the entire house. I will not let my wife touch it because again cant afford a new Yamaha (we both know the utility power will win that battle). I understand the need for inverter power when your on the road and not having hook ups. I think maybe you would be better off putting a two polw double throw disconnect in the 50A utility cord and connecting the inverter on one side and the cord tot he other and the center to the middle of the blades. then you could use the automatic transfir switch on the portable . it would stop any chance of having a senior moment.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:36 AM   #3

I tend to agree with Mark, you need some sort of protection from one of those Senior moments. Probably the proper and safest would be adding a second Auto Transfer Switch. connect your Inverter at one input and the new generator plug at the other, then feed the output of the new ATS to the Gen input on the existing ATS. That would ensure that you couldn't get two different things feeding power.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:16 PM   #4

Having two shore power inputs can be complicated....make sure you have a basic switch that brings "one or the other" shore power sockets on line....That way when you are plugged into one ...the other pins on the not used socket are not hot....I have this configuration on my trawler as we have an input close to the pilot house and one in the rear cock pit....we have a choice of input sites depending on how we enter the slip we are using and the location of the power pedestal...."Blue Seas Systems" has a mechanical switch that is high quality that chooses "either or" inputs....they also have a switch that has three choices...two shore power inputs....and genset.
2015 38RL, Full Body Paint, Slide in Slide, full Laundry, RV Fridge, 5.5 Onan, Magnum Inverter Charger, Samlex Solar, Trav'ler Sat System. Heated Tanks, R.O. Filtration, Sailun Tires**2016 F-450, Reese 25K Elite
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #5
Site Team

Maybe I didn’t describe this totally right. Although I’m thinking a second ATS might be the best bet.
All power input from either source in the front goes into the coach ATS. That way when front power is hot, from any source, the Coach ATS senses it and disconnects the rear source input.
I need to be able to power the kitchen slide only with the inverter. If wired the way I described, wouldn’t the Inverter built in ATS sense power if the generator turned on and shut it off ?

My other option would be to connect into the breaker for the kitchen slide and wire in the inverter. Has anyone run wires from the battery compartment through or over the storage to the panel ?
Old 05-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #6

I have run some wires from the centre of our coach to the battery compartment (solar)....I ran the wires across the ceiling in the basement....put them in an appropriately sized black split loom and attached with clamps often enough to have no sag...looks clean...and it protected from damage...I drilled thru the insulated wall into the battery area carefully considering keeping the wires at ceiling height in the basement and not hitting anything in the battery / genset area....It took some measurements as that back wall in the battery area is busy with many components.
Keep it simple as possible (and fool proof)...as others have mentioned "a seniors moment" is all it takes for failure....I have adopted a very simplistic way of doing things as we use our trawler in waters far from help....Sometime days before we see another boat....and spare parts are only what you have on board.I stayed away from ATS on our vessel and put a mechanical switch in a good location that selects between inputs (inverter / genset / dual shore power...with no chance of any conflict.
2015 38RL, Full Body Paint, Slide in Slide, full Laundry, RV Fridge, 5.5 Onan, Magnum Inverter Charger, Samlex Solar, Trav'ler Sat System. Heated Tanks, R.O. Filtration, Sailun Tires**2016 F-450, Reese 25K Elite
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:27 PM   #7

Vaughan
When I installed my inverter, I ran both the telephone cable for the remote readout and the 120V romex that feeds the refrigerator circuit above the wood paneled ceiling, exited into the driver side propane bay and into the battery compartment. I needed a electrician's fish tape to do the job, but wasn't too bad. I think it took me about a day to do.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:55 PM   #8

i agree with the posts above. you need a means of disconnect between the sources. the sell double breaker panels with a interlock to keep you from having both sources connected at the same time.

https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Cont...2160914&sr=8-7
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote