Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #1

I just had to install my own water filter and vacuum bag. That's rediculous -and just one disappointment too many...

I love how Redwoodstuffs the parts & instruction manuals insidethe options that you purchased and they didn't finish installing or test. Partially effective QC is like none at all. The dealer shouldn't have to be an extension of their production line or be responsible for finishing the installation of their options. And I would like to go on vacation without all my tools.

So far, I've found the instructions and essential parts left in the dishwasher (they didn't attach the drain line and leaked 2 gals. on to the floor) the washer (left both fill hoses loose on both ends and sprayed all over the laundry room), the water filter (no cartridge - it's in the doc bag) and the vacuum (the vacuum bags & instructions stuffed into theaccess door, along with their leaves, wood chips and sawdust). Water valves leaking underneath, interior slide-out trim ripping off, the shower door leaking... really? After all this time?? You will have your own amazing list.

I don't want to be a "Debbie Downer" on this forum and I have been a Redwood cheerleader for some time. Everyone wants to stay positive, so the company will be sucessful and our investment will be protected - I get it. But Redwood's Quality Control (or lack of) is really getting to be the "Emperor's New Clothes" on this site.

Of course, those of you who have recently received your units will want to join the chorus of good feelings, I know I did... but soon you will most likely be experiencing a long and exasperating journey while you correct the disappointments. Like many of you, I have recently devoted lots of my vacation time fixing many of the problems myself, but when I ordered my Redwood, I really had no expectationof purchasing a "handyman special" with my dealer 5 hours away.

Come on Redwood... get it together - at least for the sake of the future owners. Most of these issues are just production and QC sloppiness and easily corrected.

Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time

I just had to install my own water filter and vacuum bag. That's rediculous -and just one disappointment too many...

I love how Redwoodstuffs the parts & instruction manuals inside for the options that you purchased and they didn't finish installing or test. Partially effective QC is like none at all. The dealer shouldn't have to be an extension of their production line or be responsible for finishing the installation of their options. And I would like to go on vacation without all my tools.

So far, I've found the instructions and parts left in the dishwasher (they didn't attach the drain line and leaked 2 gals. on to the floor) the washer (left both fill hoses loose and sprayed all over), the water filter (no cartridge - it's in the doc bag) and the vacuum (the bags & instructions stuffed into the access door along with their leaves, wood chips and sawdust). Water valves leaking underneath, trim ripping off, the shower door leaking... really? After all this time?? You will have your own amazing list.

I don't want to be a "Debbie Downer" on this forum and I have been a Redwood cheerleader for some time. Everyone wants to stay positive, so the company will be sucessful and our investment will be protected - I get it. But Redwood's Quality Control (or lack of) is really getting to be the "Emperor's New Clothes" on this site.

Of course, those of you who have recently received your units will want to join the chorus of good feelings, I know I did... but soon you will most likely be experiencing a long and exasperating journey while you correct the disappointments. Like many of you, I have recently devoted lots of my vacation time fixing many of the problems myself, but when I ordered I really had no expectationof purchasing a "handyman special" with my dealer 5 hours away.

Come on Redwood... get it together - at least for future owners. Most of these issues are just production and QC sloppiness and easily corrected.

I think the problem is your dealer. I have an extra water filter in my bag of goodies but there was one installed. My whole house vacuum was ready to go and my hoses were tight going to the washer. I did have a kink on the cold water line going to the washer but that was easily fixed once it was found.

Just as car dealers go through to make sure everything is in good working order before letting a car off of the lot. The RV dealers need to do their job and check over the trailers.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #3

I agree with both of you there are certain items that should be inspected at the plant such as structural and fit and finish but the appliances and so on should have been checked by the dealer thats part of there PDI process and mike if you found the water filter and the vacuum issues than your dealer did not do there PDI correctly. This is exactly why I did not allow my dealer to do the PDI I had my shop go through it all.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #4

Dave, wasn't your washer/dryer a dealer install? Actually, Bryan wrote he had the same leaking hose(s) issue, except that he wrote they even left the drain line off.

Redwood gives assurances about it's multi-stage QC inspections - especially the final one after your unit comes back from paint just before it ships to the dealer. The operation of everything should be assured at that point and not be dependent on the dealer to discover and finish the installation of a dishwasher, generator or clothes washer. The dealer should be preping it cosmetically andstraightening out minor issues. They should not be the installers of last resort,IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I still love this unit and wouldn't have chosen another when I ordered. But I don't

see how Redwood can continue to be sucessful ifloyal owners like us are required to make lists of major and minor disappointments. We're handy and can fix most of the minor issues ourselves, but many are not and expect to "get what they paid for...".

As far as car dealers go, most vehicles on lots today arrive with such high quality that they can go through prep and wash for delivery in two hours. The days when a car or truck would come off the truck with a driveshaft missing, leaking fuel or won't start are long since gone. BTW, how do you like the QC on your new truck?I predict you won't be needing to goback to the dealer with a long list of issues.

Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Dave, wasn't your washer/dryer a dealer install? Actually, Bryan wrote he had the same leaking hose(s) issue, except that he wrote they even left the drain line off.

Redwood gives assurances about it's multi-stage QC inspections - especially the final one after your unit comes back from paint just before it ships to the dealer. The operation of everything should be assured at that point and not be dependent on the dealer to discover and finish the installation of a dishwasher, generator or clothes washer. The dealer should be preping it cosmetically andstraightening out minor issues. They should not be the installers of last resort,IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I still love this unit and wouldn't have chosen another when I ordered. But I don't

see how Redwood can continue to be sucessful ifloyal owners like us are required to make lists of major and minor disappointments. We're handy and can fix most of the minor issues ourselves, but many are not and expect to "get what they paid for...".

As far as car dealers go, most vehicles on lots today arrive with such high quality that they can go through prep and wash for delivery in two hours. The days when a car or truck would come off the truck with a driveshaft missing, leaking fuel or won't start are long since gone. BTW, how do you like the QC on your new truck?I predict you won't be needing to goback to the dealer with a long list of issues.
My problem was caused because they used too much hose for the water supply from under thew bed. If the dealer had done their job right, they would have ran the washing machine through a cycle to make sure there wasn't a problem. I know my dealer didn't do this because it couldn't get water and there was still antifreeze in the unit.

So the factory did screw up by having too long of water line but the dealer should have caught it if they did their job right. I feel this was more of a dealer issue
Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #6

I plan on doing a full PDI after reading all your posts. My dealer has full hydro and water connections in their shop. I will insist on a full check of all my options before I sign the paperwork.

I am told my dealer is a good one but I signed docs on Mar 13 with a 5K$ downpayment and don't have an off-line date yet...

Summer will be here soon and the local campground calendars are filling up fast!

Can you spell CRANKY...

BradPAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #7

Mike in the defense of the factory they did do a good job with quality control as far as the stuff they check except for the water lines to my washer and I'm not sure that they don't hook up the drain for a reason bit I cannot confirm this. The hot and cold water lines should have been found when they winterized the unit unless the washer comes winterized which would explain why the valves were turned off to the washer in which case they would not have found the problem. They should have caught the fact that they did not install ceiling fan but it was not on the build sheet but it was on everything else related to my order.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #8

Our Dirt Devil system was installed so that access to the bag in the basement was not possible. The hole was cut too small and we had a local tech remove the panel and cut a larger hole. Then we found the extra bags and instructions stuffed into the space we could not access.

Same issue with our inverter. It was sealed behind a bulk head in 'Dad's Garage." Our mobile tech cut an access hole and installed a little door for access.

I could name about a dozen other QC issues, and no our dealer, George Sutton in Eugene, OR did not really inspect the unit either. They did wash it though and were happy to take our money!

Old 07-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill36re
Our Dirt Devil system was installed so that access to the bag in the basement was not possible. The hole was cut too small and we had a local tech remove the panel and cut a larger hole. Then we found the extra bags and instructions stuffed into the space we could not access.

Same issue with our inverter. It was sealed behind a bulk head in 'Dad's Garage." Our mobile tech cut an access hole and installed a little door for access.

I could name about a dozen other QC issues, and no our dealer, George Sutton in Eugene, OR did not really inspect the unit either. They did wash it though and were happy to take our money!
I, for one feel your pain. looks like the rv industry has been taken advantage of the public for way to long.

Lillyputz
Old 07-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #10

Quote:

5th time.

You are so right.

Lillyputz
Old 07-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
Site Team

My washer and dryer were installed by the dealer who claimed they had ran the unit. The hose was the factory's error but it would have been caught if the dealer had done their job.

The dealer swore that they had ran the washer through a cycle but I know they didn't because there was antifreeze still in the washer.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #12

I would go so far as to say they lia, however, they are very creative in the fabrication of facts.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #13

That lie, not lia.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #14

5th_time....Once again well said. Some people expect quality. Some don't. It comes down to one's expectation of quality in life.
DonMac is offline   Reply With Quote