Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2017, 11:32 PM   #1

Question Propane problems

I had a problem with a propane leak. It turned out to be a leak at a crimp fitting in a pigtail. I replaced the pigtail but I also replaced the regulator since the check valves was not working correctly. After the changes I still had a gas leak at the single stage pressure regulator on the off side. I could not find a replacement part so I just put in union and by passed the regulator, ever thing works fine. I don't know what the purpose of this regulator is. Can anyone explain why it is required and why it is needed.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:39 AM   #2

There is some reg that if a tank is X number of feet from the main regulator a secondary regulator is to be place just after said tank. I guess it has to do with the possibility of the Propane gas reverting back to a liquid at the higher full tank pressure over X distance.
I know some on the Montana forum have removed it, and I had to remove mine last year when it developed a leak and couldn't find a replacement So far I haven't any problems.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #3

Thought it had to be some safety requirement. It doesn't have a functional purpose that I could figure out.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie16 View Post
I had a problem with a propane leak. It turned out to be a leak at a crimp fitting in a pigtail. I replaced the pigtail but I also replaced the regulator since the check valves was not working correctly. After the changes I still had a gas leak at the single stage pressure regulator on the off side. I could not find a replacement part so I just put in union and by passed the regulator, ever thing works fine. I don't know what the purpose of this regulator is. Can anyone explain why it is required and why it is needed.

From a practical point of view, you can operate without the regulator. But, there is a regulatory safety requirement that requires the pressure to be dropped to 30 psi if the propane is passed through a flexible line longer than a certain length. So, if your installation develops a problem causing a fire or explosion and that regulator is not in the system, you likely will not get insurance coverage and will be liable for damages to your trailer and any other property damage nearby.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote