Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2013, 04:35 AM   #41
Site Team

Yes, mine has several grease Zerk as well. As I had posted before I was mistaken when I thought the pin box was having problems. My problem turned out to be the air-ride system I had put on my truck's back axle. Once I lost the air-ride the hitch couldn't do it's job of absorbing the bumps.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:48 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
I'm having problems with my Tri-Glide pin box and I'd like to hear if anybody else has had this problem. While disconnected from the truck, I can reach up and move the pin freely by hand without any resistance at all. It feels like it's just sitting there disconnected from the rollers.

I called e-trailer who I ordered it from and they refereed me back to Trail-Air. I called Trail-air and they said that although this has happened before....my 12 month warranty could be void since this is an after market item sold by e-trailer (even though it's an option from Redwood).

Has anybody else had any problem similar to this with their Tri-glides? If so how did you fix it?
I just posted this same issue on another thread. I went through the same actions you did and wasn't real keen on the lower jaw moving so easily. But now seeing this whole thread, I'm thinking I'm ok that moving the lower jaw forward or back 2 - 3" is normal when it's not hitched? Just call me nervous and looking for confirmation
gford10480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:21 PM   #43
Site Team

The way that the lower jaw moved back and fourth so easily made me nervous and I told the dealership when I traded my unit it that I thought it needed replaced. I pulled the Redwood many miles like that but I was never sure about it.

Now they make the pin box differently so maybe the manufacture saw a flaw in their design as well.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:38 PM   #44

Mine also has the movement since new. Seems to work fine.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:43 AM   #45

If you do some major research you can understand some of the issues.
The Glide section was suppose to be a knock-off of the Demco Glide, but fails short by a mile. The Demco centers the King Pin in the for/aft movement when weight is put on it and it uses that weight to limit, yet allowing for/aft movement, thus reducing Chucking.
The Tri Glide doesn't center and is generally in the for or aft position and even when recently greased can bang forward on hard stops and bank back if you take off too quickly and as in at least one case broken free from the rollers.
Lippert had it listed for sale as an upgrade if you had a standard King Pin, but has since stopped selling it in favor of their FlexAir which uses a combination of the RotoFlex combined with the Air Bag. Talking to a Lippert Tech the feeling was that the FlexAir is a much better setup. Just a question when the RV Mfrs start offering it as an option. Might be a question at the National Rally if we could get one for a little better price, along with the new LED Stop/Tail lites.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:01 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
If you do some major research you can understand some of the issues.
The Glide section was suppose to be a knock-off of the Demco Glide, but fails short by a mile. The Demco centers the King Pin in the for/aft movement when weight is put on it and it uses that weight to limit, yet allowing for/aft movement, thus reducing Chucking.
The Tri Glide doesn't center and is generally in the for or aft position and even when recently greased can bang forward on hard stops and bank back if you take off too quickly and as in at least one case broken free from the rollers.
Lippert had it listed for sale as an upgrade if you had a standard King Pin, but has since stopped selling it in favor of their FlexAir which uses a combination of the RotoFlex combined with the Air Bag. Talking to a Lippert Tech the feeling was that the FlexAir is a much better setup. Just a question when the RV Mfrs start offering it as an option. Might be a question at the National Rally if we could get one for a little better price, along with the new LED Stop/Tail lites.
Are you sill using the Tri-Glide? Have you considered swapping for the FlexAir? I have to admit the lower jaw movement on my Tri-Glide concerns me.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gford10480 View Post
Are you sill using the Tri-Glide? Have you considered swapping for the FlexAir? I have to admit the lower jaw movement on my Tri-Glide concerns me.

I don't understand why you are concerned about the jaw movement on the Trail Air Tri-Glide. It is designed to move so that it allows for small amounts of fore and aft movement while traveling down the road. This helps to remove most of the chucking that would occur with a solid hitch. Yes, if you do jack rabbit starts and hard stops, you will feel the trailer jerk hard against your 5th wheel hitch. The answer is, "Don't do jack rabbit starts and hard stops!". Also, keep the hitch greased properly, all 9 zerks.....that will help.

Prior to upgrading my suspension system last summer to the MorRyde SRE-4000 and Heavy Duty Shackles Kit, I could feel the trailer kick me in the seat a lot more when going over bridge approaches. Those approaches would cause the Tri-Glide to swing back and forth and "bang" the 5th wheel hitch in a very hard manner. Since the suspension upgrade, I get almost no reaction to those bridge approaches unless they are very, very bad.

Hope this helps.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #48

X2 - I have been real happy with our Tri-glide, and I haven't even greased it yet, but may not get the mileage on it other folks do.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:18 PM   #49

Mine has been from border to border coast to coast without any problems, doesn't mean it can't happen tomorrow, but I'm not going to lose sleep til it does. It's designed to move back/forth & as stated keep it greased.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:26 PM   #50

Thanks to all. I now have a more comfortable feeling about the Tri-Glide and will be sure to keep all 9 fittings greased.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #51
Site Team

One of the things for specials at the Rally in August is supposed to be special pricing on Flex Air upgrade. Haven't heard yet if it is and how much $$$
Old 03-09-2016, 02:29 AM   #52

I still think that if you could take the Mor/ryde Pin and add the TrailAir air bag that you would have the "Cat's Meow" of a pin box. I've wondered if I could get the Glide cut off the lower jaw and weld on the Mor/ryde. Guess I'll have to see what might be offered at the Rally.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote