Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #1

Finally, the day has arrived to complete the PDI. Heading out to the dealer's in a couple of hours armed with checklist and tools to spend the day checking out the coach and all systems.

Looking forward to a successful day and bringing the coach home.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
Site Team

Hope all goes well for you. Enjoy the day and enjoy your new home.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #3

Good luck and keep a smile on your face.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy
Hope all goes well for you. Enjoy the day and enjoy your new home.

X2
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #5

Went well, but didn't get it finished. Experienced a couple of minor issues and 1 slide that wouldn't come in. Dealer was brilliant, had a technician immediately and he found a loose wire that hadn't been crimped properly.

Going back out Monday to complete the check list and bring it home.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #6

Glad it went so well... you will all enjoy your new home. Our Scotty Fergus loves our coach and has his favorite spots... sleeps in the Diva Cave after 9:00pm and sits on the dining table with the help of throw covers on the sofa and table so he can keep and eye on campground squirrels and visitors.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #7

Thanks Brad - Counting down the days until we leave next month.
Next week we are thinking of heading out to the lake for the day to aclimatise the dogs. We have an old Labrador who will adapt quickly, but the Shepherd puppy? I expect to see her also on the dining room table, as at home she is frequently in the front window.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #8

We did ours yesterday. Everything as ordered. There were a few minor things that were fixed when we got back from lunch. We still have more to check out inside. Just ran out of time and energy yesterday. We spent the night in our new rig.

Suggestion: if you are transferring from another unit bring some tubs and/ or large trash bags to move things. We didn't think ahead on that and it made a lot more work.

Jj
Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #9

JJ - Great news, how did the checklist work for you during the PDI

Old 04-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #10

We used a couple of tubbies and the stock laundry basket. As fast as I could fill and tote to the new coach my wife unloaded and placed everything near there final location. Then the fun beganLots of space!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana

Finally, the day has arrived to complete the PDI. Heading out to the dealer's in a couple of hours armed with checklist and tools to spend the day checking out the coach and all systems.

Looking forward to a successful day and bringing the coach home.

That 1st night sleeping in the new unit should be a good one! (After all the moving/stress!)

Congrats!
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #12

The checklist is great. I added n reorganized. When we finish everything ill post it.

Joyce
Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #13

I did not see the checklist posted. I am picking up our redwood 36rl in two weeks. Would love to have a copy. And someone send it to me or pots it. Thanks
Old 05-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentist4kidz
I did not see the checklist posted. I am picking up our redwood 36rl in two weeks. Would love to have a copy. And someone send it to me or pots it. Thanks
My copy is stored on my external drives, which I didn't bring on this trip. We are due home about June 5th, so if you haven't received a copy by then send me a PM with email address and I'll email the file.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #15
lwg

Can someone shoot me a good checklist for the Redwood? We should be doing our PDI within a week and would like to use a checklist with this RV.
lwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #16
Site Team

Larry,

The list would be long and several on here would give several different ideas on what to check for. The following is what I would check if I had to do it all over again:

Batteries (yes take the time to have them remove the covers) for some reason these units are shipped with only 1 battery (cheep no name) and you need 2 "interstate" group 27or 29 batteries.

Water filter

Vacuum cleaner (many dealers don't put the bag on and instead leave the instructions in it's place)

Right tires?

Right LP tanks?

Right brakes? Electric or disk

Get on your hands and knees and feel the carpet. Any lumps? (scrap peices of carpet were under mine)

Turn on every appliance and system

Tank gauges work?

Check and make sure all lights work.

Run the slides in and out a few times and make sure they seal against the side of the trailer

Most of the dealers will rush you through the "walk through". Take your time and check everything out. It should take a couple of hours of you checking everything out. It's so much easier to get it fixed there instead of having to take the unit back later. Once you leave their lot, it becomes your problem that has to fit into their schedule to fix.

Good luck and enjoy your new rig
Old 07-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #17

Try RVLifestyle.net they have a pretty good PDI checklist. I agree with Dave and would add to get up on the roof and make sure on wrinkles or bulges in the fabric, including the roofs on all slides. also make sure seams are sealed. Connect to the coach and make a service rep go thru the process of engagement and dis-engagement and using the level up system, including how to re-certify level. Check the hydraulic fluid level in the reservoir to make sure, when all jacks and slides are retracted, that the oil level is correct. By the Lippert manual, the level should be 1/4 inch below the fill spout. Crawl underneath the coach and make sure no hanging wires, cables, etc. Make sure you have a copy of your order sheet with you to ensure you get what you paid for. Also make sure all systems that can work on either gas or electric, do so. Make sure your TVs work and have them show you the surround system and make sure all speakers work. Make sure tv's work on all drops and that your tv works on cable, antenna, and satellite, if possible. Best with your new coach and welcome to the Redwood Family.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg
Can someone shoot me a good checklist for the Redwood? We should be doing our PDI within a week and would like to use a checklist with this RV.
Oh man, I didn't realize you resurrected an old post! I thought Andy bought another new rig!!

Agree with Dave - check what you can - it's under warranty if you miss something. Make your priority checks the things that could be blamed on you later, such as body damage, scratches, etc. Next on priority check out the function of everything if you can, and finally you can list the little aggravations like sticking drawers or etc. Just remember that as soon as you use it you will find a few more things, so don't sweat the small stuff.

After about a 6 hr day with ours on the PDI, we shook hands and jumped in the truck to leave, only to find we had no brakes on the trailer. We were grounded for several days waiting for a brake servo on the disk brakes. Everything was going so well up till then
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #19
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg
Oh man, I didn't realize you resurrected an old post! I thought Andy bought another new rig!!

Agree with Dave - check what you can - it's under warranty if you miss something. Make your priority checks the things that could be blamed on you later, such as body damage, scratches, etc. Next on priority check out the function of everything if you can, and finally you can list the little aggravations like sticking drawers or etc. Just remember that as soon as you use it you will find a few more things, so don't sweat the small stuff.

After about a 6 hr day with ours on the PDI, we shook hands and jumped in the truck to leave, only to find we had no brakes on the trailer. We were grounded for several days waiting for a brake servo on the disk brakes. Everything was going so well up till then
Yikes on the bad breaks. One of the reasons we ended up going with LazyDays was that they have a dedicated area where they setup your old trailer and new trailer for you to move everything over. You spend the first night in this spot and the second night about 100 yards away in their campground. This is so that you can get all the bugs worked out and fixed before taking the trailer home. Was really close purchasing from Explore in Texas but after purchasing our current RV based on price and having horrible service and PDI we decided the little savings we would have had might have equaled less enjoyment in the new trailer. Nothing against Explore as I don't know anything about them, just that Lazydays is close and they gave us a nice tour of their setup when we were down there and I was very impressed.

One other thing, since we're fulltimers when we need service going forward they put us up in a "special" area with full hookups while they work on the coach or wait for parts. Another reason why we went there.
lwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg
Was really close purchasing from Explore in Texas but after purchasing our current RV based on price and having horrible service and PDI we decided the little savings we would have had might have equaled less enjoyment in the new trailer. Nothing against Explore as I don't know anything about them, just that Lazydays is close and they gave us a nice tour of their setup when we were down there and I was very impressed.
This statement sounds like you had horrible service and PDI from Explore USA, yet the next sentence says you don't know anything about them. I'm assuming you don't know anything about them and you were referring to another dealer.

We have had excellent service from Explore USA, and they do offer a local campground to change over your stuff.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote