Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #1

Power To Roof Winegard Slimline Dish

Has anyone installed a Winegard Slimline DirectTV satellite? While our coaches are hard wired on the roof for coaxil to the bedroom and living quarters, the satellite requites 120V protected plug-in power. Was hoping someone could advise on how to get the power cord through the roof and plugged into a circuit in the most efficient way without damage to any other runs in the roof?
Thanks,
OboLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #2

There should be the control cable already installed. One end should be in a cabinet, location depends on Model RW, and the other end is taped to one of the coaxes on the roof. You have to pull the coax plate on the roof and the control cable should be there.
On most Front Bedroom models, the head end is somewhere near the bedroom TV. Ours is in the top left cabinet next to the TV. Front Livingrooms is generally where you would put the receiver near the TV.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:22 PM   #3

Many thanks.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:39 PM   #4

One of our best contributors on this and the other forum (Atom Ant) had a pretty good pictoral of the installation of the Winegard Dish with several pics. Do a search for satellite and Atom Ant to find. May help you out.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:13 PM   #5

Will do... appreciate the input.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:56 PM   #6

The control cable mentioned above plugs into the control box that is included with the sat dish .. The control box powers the dish and as stated earlier is at the front of the coach .. Mine was with the coax cables behind tv.. You might not be able to see it until you pull your tv off the bracket ..
2018 RW 3991RD
2018 Ram Dually
brad chilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:05 PM   #7

Found everything (power from roof and br/coaxil) and appreciate all the help. Curious if you could advise with the SWM DirectTV did you just come off the coaxil on the roof with the power cord (bedroom) and leave the other roof coaxil empty? Or did you split on the roof from the dish and run both coaxils down? I have a call into Redwood, but would like to have a real experience.
Hopefully the question makes sense.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:23 PM   #8

Sorry... boss had a job of 37 years and was interrupted.

Or did you split in the living space behind the TV. My coach, unlike other inputs read on the topic has a brown, white and orange coaxil bundled in this area... I assume the white is in from the dish and the orange and brown supply bedroom and storage?
Old 08-26-2018, 11:23 PM   #9

There is no set way that RW wires these units. Your best bet is to ohm out the coaxes to see which go where. Generally the Sat coaxes are the Orange ones.
On our very early '16 MB the two coaxes on the roof, one when to the livingroom and the other to the bedroom, BUT I had another Orange coax in the bedroom that when directly to the livingroom. So I just used the coax to the Bedroom to connect to the Dish and put the splitter in the bedroom. Using the power pass thru port for the line going to the livingroom and put my Genie and Power Inserter there as were power them thru a UPS because of frequent power drops, saves waiting time while the Genie reboots.
Hopes this doesn't completely confuse the issue.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:41 AM   #10

Will do.. wish these folks would use some type of standards, but as everyone writes that is more than a pipe dream.

Thanksfor the help.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #11

So I have a GENIE in my living room , with a wireless genie in bedroom and one in basement ..So I’m only using one of the coax from roof and able to operate 3 TVs at same time ... Made for a very simple operation .
2018 RW 3991RD
2018 Ram Dually
brad chilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:54 PM   #12

Well I went out an purchased a converter to use with our slimline satellite for DirectV that allows me to use with our DirectV Genie system. I shorted out the cable in the living room and use a meter to determine which one that was on the roof (I had 4 cables as Lazydays Tampa installed the system and per our direction put drops in the living room, kitchen, bedroom, and basement). Now I just take the genie main box from my office at home and 3 little genie boxes and I am good to go with TV in the living room, kitchen, bedroom and an extra for watching sports outside). I no longer worry about cables everywhere, and it works great.