Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
Site Team

I've read a few comments about the paint on RV's. My son was a painter in an auto body shop for 10 years and quite good at it.He looked over my trailer and pointed a few things out that might help some of you with new units.

One problem we're all going to have is that unlike when buying a car or truck, this paint is VERY new and soft. (A new car is usually 6 month old before it gets to you) It usually takes 3-6 months for the "clear Cote" to harden. This means that the bugs can get embedded into the clear cote easily. KEEP THE BUGS AND BIRD sh*t WASHED OFF. Bugs contain acid as does bird sh*t and on fresh clear cote this is very bad. Also if you go to a store that sells paint to the car dealers, you can buy wax designed for fresh paint that auto body shops use. I'll post the name of the wax if anybody wants to know what it is. The paint has to breath while it's curing because of the chemical reactions, otherwise down the road you could have problems with the shine and the paint failing.

Don't use any wax with petroleum products in them especially new paint. These products go on easy and shine up nice but in a long run it's bad for your clear cote. (the clear cote is what protects the paint)Use a high speed buffer to get rid of all the scratches but be careful not to burn through the clear cote. These buffer spin fast enough that they actuallyheat upthe clear cote and that's why they remove scratches. You can usually buy a good one for under $200

If you keep your trailers waxed they wash easier and the dirt won't stick as bad. When I bought my first black truck a year ago my son educated me on how to take care of it properly. I've always been a car nut and known to keep my cars and trucks looking good but WOW was he right! If you use the right products, it's really not that hard.

I hope this helps
Old 04-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #2

Please post name of wax to use
Old 04-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #3

As the owner of a black truck, I'd appreciate you passing along his tips and tricks... and whatever advice he has for the RWs
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
Site Team

The wax to use on fresh paint is made by "Presta" Voc Compliant Fast wax part # 134132. This is easy on and easy off liquid. You can also buy this stuff on line, i think my son said it's around $50 a gallon (www.prestaproducts.com). Use a micro fiber rag saturated with this and start wiping. It dries fast and wipes right off. It is designed to be used in direct sun light

If you have a black truck and get tired of the water spots buy a product made by 3M called "perfect It" clean and shine. part # 06084. This is in a spray bottle for a quick spray on and wipe off.People use this for theirshow cars. (you can notuse in direct sun light)

Old 04-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #5

Thats good to know

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
Site Team

Yesterday I got out my ladder and went to work with the wax. I was able to wax the new black truck and then I hit the front of the trailer. That wax I had mentioned in a previous post works GREAT. Just remember to shake it before using. No dust and you don't have to worry about it getting on the plastic.

BOY AM I SORE TODAY!

Everybody came around to talk while I did it and we ended up giving a dozen tours. In case anybody has wondering....the best way to wax the front of the trailer is by putting an 8 foot step ladder in the bed of your truck and then simply back up to the trailer. Remember though it takes a lot of beer to wax a trailer and people seem to get drunk watching you.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #7

I used the ladder in the truck idea as well. It is a good work out with all the up and down. I am thankful that my neighbors are friendly with their beer.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #8

Thanks for the info. Dave I'll get someordered.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #9

Somehow 8 foot ladders in the back of trucks and ample amounts of beer just doesn't sound right to me. But to each his own. But the rest of your info is excellent Dave. Thanks so much.Edited by: John317
John317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
Dan

A ladder in the back of the truck is fine for the front dosent work very good for the sidesespeciallyif you haveduels

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
A ladder in the back of the truck is fine for the front dosent work very good for the sidesespeciallyif you haveduels
I've got duals and it worked great
Old 05-07-2012, 05:26 AM   #12

I'm thinking a good 10 foot ladder will be much safer for me plus if I do it right I'll be on the ground with the beer and someone else will be on the ladder Edited by: KR2011

Old 05-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR2011
I'm thing a good 10 foot ladder will be much safer for me plus if I do it right I'll be on the ground with the beer and someone else will be on the ladder
There's always one guy that just a little smarter than the rest of who gets it right.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #14

My dad taught me a long time ago to work smarter not harder so i figure if I can watch someone else doing it then I'm not working hard, now that's being smart

Old 05-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #15

All, I purchased the Presta wax, works great, easy to use. Enlisted help from my wife and Father in Law. Put 2 coats on our Redwood. It looks great. Plan to put 2 more coats on the front prior to departing on a 8500 mile, 17 State, 44 stop trip. Y'all take care.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #16

Godspeed Colonel, have a great time with your grand kids on your 17 State Odyssey.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #17
Site Team

Drive safe and watch the other guy! I'm glad the wax worked out for you. Since my son told me about the wax, I've fallen in love with it.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #18

I spoke with my body guy and made plans to have the whole rig re-cleared this winter so it looks wet all the time instead of the orange peal look it currently has and then I will be doing the wax job. I can't wait.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #19

Bryan, that sounds like a huge job. They have to wet sand through the clear down to the black, red, etc. to level the orange peel without going through.Then, they have tore-clear, wetsand the clear and buff after that. All that, just to get the paintjob you thought you were getting. On the other hand, it's not a show car. You can image the orange peel on black/silver, but it doesn't really bother me.
After you're done, you'll probably be featured on "Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous!"
Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #20

Mike I never thought of that
maybe I'll set a new trend. Edited by: KR2011