Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2014, 01:08 AM   #1

Ordered Slide Toppers Today

One of the options our new Redwood did not have was Slide Toppers.

I know, some people love them, some people hate them.

Even though they will flap in the wind sometimes, we have had them on our last two 5th Wheels and we like them.

We stay at many parks with lots of trees and since we move every two weeks or so, they are nice keeping the leaves, sticks and debris off the top of our slides.
Also since we spend most of our time in the Southeast part of the US, they help with the summer sun but keeping the direct sun off the top of our slides. (There is not much insulation in the top of any slide out)

Since we like to be different, (many RWs I see have Black Fabric Slide Toppers) I ordered Slide Toppers with Black Hardware and Grey Fabric. I wanted something that would not show dirt but again since we are in the South I did not was Black.
Grey Slide Topper Fabric will be a first for us as both of out last 5th Wheels were White with White Slide Toppers.

The Grey should blend in good as our main awning is Black and Grey.

The only real thing is our 38FL has 5 Slides to cover.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:10 AM   #2

Ordered ours with Slide Toppers, never heard them flapping in the wind @ Lavon lake C.O.E. PARK. Located right on the lake, never rocked or leaked wind. Found out from awning dealer that my dealer had installed upside down. He was amazed that the awnings had not been damaged.(5 slides). After spending $4000.00 to repair my last slide that was damaged my leaves causing a leak into slide seal area. Wood rotted NUFF said.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #3

I think its a regional thing and they probably do some good to some, but last week confirmed I will NEVER get them. Microburst came through Thursday at the lake in Southern Colorado and a few that had awnings out found they were gone, most likely in the lake.

I spent most of Friday helping the Crossroads Cruiser next to me rewind his slide toppers so he could get home. The wind blew his up to the point it tilted and jammed one of his slides and let water in (bedroom) and pulled the fabric all the way out of the rollers and left them laying on the roof like dirty laundry. Both need replaced as it damaged the mechanisms inside the tube and stretched the fabric as well as damaged the rail. Worse part was all he could do is watch.

All I got was dirty from the rain and wind throwing mud at the side of me.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
Traveling

Yes, we struggled with the debate on slide toppers too. I think when you are full time it's a little different because you are likely subject to a broader spectrum of weather on a longer time frame. We WILL be in heavy rain, wind, etc. If the wind gets really bad, we will have to pull the slides in I guess because I don't think there is an easy way to disconnect the toppers. SO FAR, we haven't had a problem, and the rain just runs off of them when they become weighted with it. I DO like not having all of that rain on top of my slides... in Washington, it's something you have to learn to live with.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #5

Just stay away from the Texas panhandle in the spring or you won't have them for long. Spent May this year there at our sons with 40+ mph winds all day & night with gust to 50-70 mph, now ours have stretched & sag. Spent several days & nights with all the slides in, not sure I would get them again.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #6

We had slide toppers on our last two 5th Wheels, been North to South, East Coast to West Coast, other than some flapping in high winds, we never had a problem with them.
For us the pluses our weight the minuses.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:36 AM   #7

Got all 5 slide toppers installed today, no more climbing up on the roof to sweep off the slide every time we move (which can be quite often).
Also I think it will be much cooler due to keeping the direct sunlight off the slide roofs which are by design are very thin.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:11 AM   #8

You will have to sweep them off when it rains. We have them on ours and have been a little frustrated with the fact that rain water gathers in them and we have to get on top and sweep them off when it rains or the water comes inside!
JohnEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:42 AM   #9
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEileen View Post
You will have to sweep them off when it rains. We have them on ours and have been a little frustrated with the fact that rain water gathers in them and we have to get on top and sweep them off when it rains or the water comes inside!

Never had a problem with ours, the center of the toppers are tight with a bit of slack on the ends. The rain just rolls off no problems

Dan

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:44 AM   #10

Raise the front of the coach before retracting slides & dump them. If you're worried about moving slides when tilted then hit auto level again before retracting slides. It's much easier to push the buttons a couple of times than to climb up top, just my 2 cents.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-16-2014, 03:46 AM   #11

Dan, you must be the lucky one because others have also had this happen. They sag in the middle so some have mentioned constructing a frame with PVC pipe in a triangle form to drain the rain off or put a beach ball underneath. hope yours continue to stay tight.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #12

We did the beach ball thing and it worked, but they left bumps in the awnings. Some here are using the PVC pipe on a couple of SOB at our campground and they work well. To me if you go that route it will take climbing on ladders which doesn't appeal to me. But if you didn't move for the season or very seldom it will work great. We now use nothing, have puddles and they just go away after awhile. But the toppers do require being washed every time you clean the roof. They clean well with simple green. We're under the trees for seven months and that usually requires about three cleanings.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #13

The new Slide Toppers are installed.
Since I like to be different, our Toppers are Carefree and the hardware is black but the fabric color is gray instead of the usual black fabric found on most Redwoods. (Lighter color for all the heat here in the Southeast)
I did mount the awning rails a little higher so we get a better slope with the toppers and they should not pool water.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #14

I like your color choice!

Great idea on increasing the slope as well. I think that is a prime issue on the factory ones, given these slides are much taller than they used to be.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #15

Great idea with the slope of the fabric. That may prevent the pooling of water in the middle.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #16

Nice job. Would have loved our two on the road side and couldn't get one for our dining slide because we opted for another awning and there is not enough room at the top to mount one.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Raise the front of the coach before retracting slides & dump them. If you're worried about moving slides when tilted then hit auto level again before retracting slides. It's much easier to push the buttons a couple of times than to climb up top, just my 2 cents.
Danny..........that is exactly what I do also. After any rain, I always dump the toppers and then re-level the coach. If we are going to be putting the slides in to move, I put a towel on the end of my squeegee and dry off the ends of the slides before putting in the slides.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:15 AM   #18

Our new Redwood is coming this week, (we hope).
I just put new fabric on our old rig before trade in, it only took about 45 Min, and $125 for the material. I was very pleased when I was done. CW wanted $925.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1462.jpg (114.0 KB, 5 views)

GMC 3500HD DRW, Curt Q24 hitch, 1100 watts Solar,
Redwood 2015.5 38RE, 8K axels, disk breaks, 5.5K Onan, full body paint, residential fridge, slide in a slide. Dual heat pumps, dual awnings, dishwasher, linc Pad.
Victor&Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:42 AM   #19

Guy,, mine are sooo stretched by high winds in the Texas panhandle that a heavy dew causes them to sag. Don't know if they can be stretched/tightened or need replaced?
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-18-2014, 06:14 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Guy,, mine are sooo stretched by high winds in the Texas panhandle that a heavy dew causes them to sag. Don't know if they can be stretched/tightened or need replaced?

Danny,

I don't know the answer to that. My slide toppers certainly collect water when it rains and yet they seem to be very tight. I recently had need to try to relieve the tension on the bedroom topper to undo a little bit of a snarl on one end. I tried to unroll it and did not have sufficient strength to do so. I finally had to use a screw driver as a pry bar to roll back (or rotate) the take up roll enough to relieve the tension. I don't know how it could have much more tension and yet water still collects in the middle of the topper. I think the real answer is that the toppers need more incline so the water would drain off.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote