Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2020, 11:48 PM   #1

No power to inverter or fridge from battery or shore power.

Our refrigerator is not working. The power is connected and the other appliances are working fine. We checked the plug, breakers, fuses, etc. There is no power through the inverter to the fridge. Any suggestions on what to try? We don't know if it's a problem with the inverter or refrigerator. We were supposed to leave this Sunday on a 1-week camping trip, so the timing stinks to have this problem. The RV places are not open on the weekend. Thanks if you can suggest something.
fiddleddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:59 PM   #2

Need a little more info: I assume you have a residential fridge, so some question: model of RW? is this an OEM inverter setup or after market? is this the Magnum Inverter with the remote control inside the RW? is your inverter powered up? Do you have 12 volts into the inverter? I've never checked ours to see if the AC power will pass through the inverter if it's not powered up.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:39 AM   #3

response to mhs4771

Thanks for answering! To answer your questions. RW model 38GK. YES...it's a residential fridge....bottom freezer. Inverter is OEM. The inverter is the Magnum MMS series, and it does have a remote panel inside the RV from which to operate it. We have 4 6-volt batteries. Does that help you diagnose anything? :-)
Old 07-18-2020, 02:07 AM   #4

We don't have an inverter in our Redwood. But I have read where some inverters have a GFCI receptacle attached where a plug is ran to your refer romex and receptacle. It could be possible that this gfci is tripped and not allowing current out. Worth checking if you can reach or gain access to the inverter. Most are mounted in or above the battery compartment on the ceiling. Worth a try.

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 03:13 AM   #5

Reply to r time soon

We have checked the connections from the batteries to the inverter but did not notice a GFCI receptacle. Will check again to make sure. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-18-2020, 10:13 PM   #6

All I can say is, if you GK is similar to our MB, the Inverter is hardwired, from batteries directly to the Inverter thru a 150 Amp fuse mounted on the Bulkhead behind the batteries. The AC output from the Inverter is also hardwired directly to the outlet that the Fridge is plugged into. That GFI receptacle is only on the lesser models that RW later switched to.
You still need to answer some of the questions: Do you have 12V entering the Inverter? What is the Remote reading on the display? Did this just suddenly die?? Has it ever worked?
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 07-18-2020, 10:22 PM   #7

reply to mhs4771

Yes, we have 12 volts into the inverter. The remote reading on the display says "Fault....no COMM". And yes, it suddenly died. We've used the RV with no problems for 3 summers. We used it a month ago and it worked fine. Then we took the RV in for service a couple of weeks ago for a new water pump, so I don't know if they did something to it at that time. They are closed this weekend, so we can't call them.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:36 PM   #8

mhs4771

My husband worked on it again today, and it still won't work the right way. However, he unplugged the refrigerator and plugged it in to another outlet while we were plugged in to shore power, and the fridge works. So we've eliminated that at least. That will work for us this weekend because we are camping close to home, but for longer trips we obviously need the inverter to work.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:38 PM   #9

there is a reset button on the front of the inverter , I have had mine trip out because of low battery voltage when power the unit up. I would check your battery string and make sure you have at a minimum after a 2-4hr charge from house power you need to see 12 volts on the DC side with the house power unplugged and all your lights turned on for 2 mins without the trailer plugged into your truck of house. I would suggest you check that at the large 150 amp fuse in the battery compartment.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:27 PM   #10

reply to XCMARK

Thanks! Of the things you mentioned, we did not have the RV connected to house power for 2-4 hours prior to dealing with this. We'll try that. Thank you for your information.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:33 AM   #11

No Comm to me would indicate that the control cable has been damaged or has come unplugged from either the Inverter or the Remote. I would check both ends, disconnect and reconnect and see if you can get comms between the remote and the inverter.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:26 AM   #12

reply to mhs4771

We've done those things, but can try once more now that we've had it connected to shore power for awhile. It sounds like we probably have a bad inverter at this point. Is that something we need to get from Redwood or Magnum? Or can it be any brand? Does anyone know?
Old 07-19-2020, 11:52 PM   #13

If you want it to work with your current remote, I would guess that it would have to be a Magnum
Old 07-20-2020, 01:45 AM   #14

One more thing to try , disconnect the 120/240 shore power and your truck . Then disconnect the 12 volt DC power from the inverter or battery what ever is easier. leave it powered off for 10 seconds. then power it back up. If your only going to be on the road for a few hours then can connect to shore power again you could just splice the load to the line side in the inverter 120VAC compartment on the unit. Disconnect the 12VDC power and fix it when you have time. My guess is the dealer did something or Mice have eaten the telephone cable (RJ11 patch cord) from the inverter to the remote . You could try removeing the unit and plugging it in down at the inverter with a house hold phone cord (assuming its the same as mine).
Old 07-20-2020, 10:58 PM   #15

I wouldn't count on it being a standard phone cord. While they use the normal RJ11 jacks and plugs they wire them differently for Data. I know my Progressive EMS uses the Data cord, originally tried a normal phone cord and wouldn't work, had to order a longer cord from them. So my guess is the Magnum cord is wired as Data.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:12 AM   #16

After pulling my MB from Dallas home to Ga, the residential frig outlet was dead, it was working before I left. So checkout began including most everything listed in other reply’s. I had the no comment ( no communication ) error message etc. For a couple weeks I just ran an a heavy duty extension cord from another outlet. I decided one weekend morning to check my batteries, the cable from battery to inverter was disconnected. How, no idea, the company I bought it from had noo idea. If you haven’t already check cable and ends and make sure magnum is getting 12volt
Pockets52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:58 PM   #17

If you have an InCommand system the inverter is controlled under a page called triggers. Go to that page and the inverter should be listed. Push the on off toggle
Andypar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:35 PM   #18

Please keep us posted on what your final resolve is.
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:18 PM   #19

Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddleddd View Post
Thanks for answering! To answer your questions. RW model 38GK. YES...it's a residential fridge....bottom freezer. Inverter is OEM. The inverter is the Magnum MMS series, and it does have a remote panel inside the RV from which to operate it. We have 4 6-volt batteries. Does that help you diagnose anything? :-)
Assume you checked the circuit breaker on the front of the inver. Acts similar to a ground fault in the house.
koshinsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:47 AM   #20

Need to turn your inverter on at the remote Magnum panel. Hold the on/off button until the inv green light comes on. Then on the screen it will come up invert status on and voltage readings
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote