Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2012, 04:35 AM   #1

Hi, Everybody!

Hooray! I am now spending my very first night in my shiny new 36FB! ...and there's no hot water coming from the faucets.

Could someone tell me how to turn on the hot water heater?

I'm plugged in at the RV park, the two "Hot Water" switches by the front door show the left AC switch is on/ illuminated, and the DSI is off/ not illuminated.

I apologize for the dumb question. The walkthrough was two months ago, and I forgot how to check this stuff.

Thank you for your help!

Robt.
Mr_Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:22 AM   #2

Robt, sorry to hear of your problem. There is a switch on the hot water heater itself. Open the cover and you should see a small rocker swith on the heater wall. They use that for winterizing so that the heater rod won't burn out. Make sure the water is coming out of the faucet freely then turn on that switch. GOOD LUCK!
Old 12-15-2012, 06:35 AM   #3

Also, have you tried to run the heater using the DSI switch only (gas operation)? You may want to try that option to ensure it works
Old 12-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #4

Hooraay!

128 dollars later, my problem is solved!

(Well...my problem is ignorance, and that won't be solved by 128 dollars.)

Anyway..the hot water heater bypass valve was turned so that fresh waterBYPASSED the hot water heater. So all i had coming from both the cold and hot faucets was cold water from the RV hookup.

So, the bypass valve was turned to NOT bypass the hot water heater, water started to warm up, and now I'm set.

So, my understanding is that these are the hot water switch selections needed to have hot water come from the faucets:

1. Electric On, Gas/ DSIoff, Extra switch by outside hot water heater console On, bypass switch set to NOT bypass the hot water tank.

2. Gas/ DSIOn, Electric off, Extra switch by outside hot water heater console On, bypass switch set to NOT bypass the hot water tank.

3. Electric On AND Gas/ DSI On - Feasible by not recommended approach.

Sigh...

Robt.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #5

By golly, I think you've got it. As for Gas and electric at the same time, it can be done to shorten the recovery time. Did it all the time with our previous TTs, but they only had 6 Gal tanks. Have not had a problem or need to use the dual heat method with the RW.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum and remember... we were ALL newbies once.
My understanding is that new RV water heaters have their electric switch set to the "off" position so we don't accidentally burn out the heating element when we hook up to shore power.
That being said, if you winterize your rig make sure to turn that switch back to the "off" position and don't turn it back "on" until you de-winterize it and have water running through the hot water faucets.
When they winterize your RV they drain the water heater and use the bypass to get the RV antifreeze though the water lines. When you put it back in service you'll flush potable water through the lines until they run clear then turn the bypass off so the water heater fills. Only then do you want to turn the switch "on".

Sorry for the lengthy post... it's so unlike me
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #7

Congratulations. And yes we are all newbies
Old 12-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #8

Jay & Linda:
Thank you for the info re: the electric water heater. Ours wasn't working (had to use gas) and we had it on our list of "fixes" needed when our coach goes in for repairs. I read your post to dh, he went out and checked and sure enough -- the switch was turned off with a piece of tape over it (I guess so it wouldn't be "accidentally" turned on) Guess they missed this in delivery prep (and pdi!)
Old 12-17-2012, 01:41 AM   #9

Happy to Help!

Hopefully, it will save other folks the $128 it requires for a repair person to come out and tell them to check the red plastic switch in the tank valve panel.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #10

Please rememberthat water MUST be in water heater before you turn on electric so you don't burn out element.
warway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #11

While we're on the subject of Water Heaters, if your coach is more than 6 months old, check your anode rod.

I picked up my RL in April, only used it a few times and when I removed the anode rod to drain the WH during winterizing, I was shocked to see how it had "sacrificed" almost completely.

I replaced it with the Suburban OEM magnesium rod (232767), but if your water is really "aggressive", and your anode rod only lasts a few months, they also have an aluminum version (232768). I'm going to try out one more magnesium and then evaluate.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #12

Here's a look at a new vs well worn anode rod:

Old 12-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

Robert (Toad) don't forget you have warranties on this kind of stuff and any RW dealer near you can fix or give you information over the phone that will help you take care of your small problems
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinAnderson
Here's a look at a new vs well worn anode rod:

That's a great picture...thanks for posting
Old 12-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #15

Just a small note on the rod, be sure you flush the heater tank and be sure you clean the threads really well. Once that kstuff hardens, it is almost impossible to get the threads clean. Great picture as well.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:54 AM   #16

Bud id right. After the tank is draind I use a curved plastic tube from the hdwr store and siphon the residue out on to the ground. Get a long enough hose so you don't get a mouth full of sl*g.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #17

I have always used anodes in my hot water tank, when I did my walk through I asked the tech about this and he stated that it is a waste of money to usethem on the new tank, I believe he said it was an aluminium tank not steel and would not harm it. please correct me if I'm wrong. I always flush my tanks 3 times a year regardless.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #18

Why are my tanks 3 blue? strange
Old 12-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #19

Amishco.. Your "tech" would be correct if he were talking about Atwood water heaters. They use an aluminum which doesn't need the anode.
Manufacturers that use steel tanks in their water heaters do need the anode rods.

If you install an anode in an aluminum tank you may never get it out because the steel threads on the rod will react with the aluminum threads on the tank. The resulting corrosion will fuse the two together. Aluminum tanks have a nylon drain plug in them for this reason.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #20

YES! Thank you, Mr. RR,

I did in fact purchase the extended warranty, and boy I'm glad i did.

The "AAA RV Pro" (Steve Mullet) in Plano, Texas has been helping me a lot, and he's a great RV repair guy, and works directly with Redwood to charge back warranty stuff.

I've never really done the RV stuff, so i gotta have a warranty.

Robt.