Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2020, 07:28 PM   #1

No heat from living room heat ducts?

It might just be this. Photo taken under the floor vent of the mid bathroom on a 2016 39MB with a borescope I bought on Amazon.
1) Check out the wood shavings still lying on floor of the duct from drilling through bathroom floor to install vent.
2) I wondered why the basement was much warmer than our living room, check out the duct tape flashing job where the bathroom heat vent attaches to the duct.
3) oh and the reason why there is no heat to living room, just beyond the round vent pipe is the top of the duct work that has fallen down and almost completely blocking air flow to living room. Was installed with tape. Go figure! Supposed to be high end unit built for full timing ie: should last. My brother’s 2013 Redwood does not have The factory issues that I am uncovering . Love the floor plan, very disappointed in quality control and their initial response
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 409AA6AA-E8C2-4043-B1D9-63DE6C1DE622.jpeg (50.9 KB, 45 views)
Pockets52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:22 PM   #2

Living room furnace vent success!

Success! With the floor vent in the mid bathroom , removed and with the help of my brother(smaller hands) and a small mirror and a flashlight. He was able to remove the regular duct tape that had been used (it had dried up and was rolled like parchment)) and tape the duct joint back together. It still looks like the duct roof has collapsed as there is only a 1” gap several feet down the duct but I turned on the furnace and now you can feel airflow from the living room vents about 3’ from the vent. This is great as before the vent barely got warm. If you want more info on the fix just pm me.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
par

I had a similar issue with my 2014 FL36, there was no heat in the bedroom and bathroom. So I did the same thing, used a scope to check it out, but could not find anything. We then turned the furnace on, and there it was. The inside of the duct has a foil liner that let loose. With the furnace running the foil would act like a valve and stop the flow of air. When the furnace stopped, the foil fell down, due to gravity, and the duct opened up. We were EXTREMELY discouraged by this poor workmanship, but frankly not surprised. The only thing I could do is rip that piece off and flow was returned.
You should note, at least in my case, I did not need the scope. A small mirror with flashlight works just as well, if not better.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:43 PM   #4

Interesting - we just took our 2018 3901WB into the shop due to no heat coming out of the bedroom and bathroom vents. Although the pocked door between the living area and bedroom - was extremely hot - could feel heat coming out of it. This unit has not been moved so not sure what is going on now. This should be still under warranty. They are also looking at the accent lights that start flickering once they get warm. I think once I get all the bugs worked out of this unit - it will be a good one.
Dnagele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:18 PM   #5

Heat ducts

I really like the layout out in my 39MB as well, that and the fact that my brother and several friends all have redwoods that really have not had any quality issues. Like cars, there are some that were just built on a bad day. After selling our home/ and all but 10 acres, we were full timing in our 2001 Carriage ( fantastic fifthwheel) while we decided if we were going to build again. One day while sitting under the RV port looking over the pasture at potential building site, my wife said she really like the pasture with no house on it but she needed a king bed and a second bath. I located the one we have now, Down the road we went to Texas, came home, dropped it, moved Carriage back to our lake lot, Redwood under the Rvport and 14 months later, we are still enjoying our rig. Just need to finish a few items that are frustrating but we like our home