Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #1

New Owner has questions

We've owned our 38RL for just over a week and are sort of freaking out over all the QC issues we are seeing on this forum. We have some questions and would like to have input from other owners and or techs.

1. On the Main Control Panel there is a red Start/Stop Switch to the right of the tank level indicators. We find no information in the manuals explaining what this is. Can anybody tell us?

2. The slides seem to be very heavy and groan ALOT when opened and closed. Is this normal? (We are within the weight limits for the RV).

3. The locked basement doors tend to pop open when we travel. Will probably try to adjust ourselves but if you have input that would be helpful.

4. When we did the walk thru the residential refrigerator had a black knob between the refrigerator and the freezer. Do we need one of those when traveling to keep the doors/drawer from opening? It still had a velcro strip on the doors, which we use.

5. Our previous RV had rear stabilizers that helped tremendously to control movement. Has anybody added electronic stabilizers?

Thanks for any and all info!

Sue
2011 GMC 3500HD DRW
2011 Bighorn, now retired.
Glen&Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #2

My wife and myself are one of the very few that have been blessed with our problem trailer but like I said before we are one of the very few that have been blessed with this. After 1 month with ours we have been a Believer of not buying a Friday or Monday built trailer as ours was a Friday assembled one We first thought it was just a myth going around but ours made us a believer of this. But once it comes back from Indiana and all is good "keeping fingers crossed" we will be one of very many that have nothing but pure positive to say about redwood and mark my words I will be one of those. All trailers will have their faults some are big and some are small but that is really what the fun is about owning a 5ver in my eyes. It helps when meeting great people at parks and on the road and trust me redwooders are some of the best to hang with and always have a story to tell or a joke to end with.
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #3

There will be some other answers but thought i'd answer a few

1. Should be the generator switch even if you don't have one, it is prepped.
2. These slides are heavy and slow. The bedroom swintech are slow and whiny.
3. Had to move the latches just a bit and no problems since.
4. Can't help on the fridge.
5. Some of us have added stabilizers to the rear to help.

Welcome and hope you enjoy yours as much as we are.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen&Sue View Post
We've owned our 38RL for just over a week and are sort of freaking out over all the QC issues we are seeing on this forum. We have some questions and would like to have input from other owners and or techs.

Don't freak out unless you are actually having issues - Forums do that to people as I'm sure you experienced on your Bighorn. One or two dominate the forum with problems, a natural thing, and the rest are busy camping because there is no interesting discussion about stuff that works

1. On the Main Control Panel there is a red Start/Stop Switch to the right of the tank level indicators. We find no information in the manuals explaining what this is. Can anybody tell us? That is part of the Generator prep. If you don't have a generator, it does nothing.

2. The slides seem to be very heavy and groan ALOT when opened and closed. Is this normal? (We are within the weight limits for the RV). As long as they open and close they work. Groaning is kind of a subjective description and without being there - hard to compare to what I have.

3. The locked basement doors tend to pop open when we travel. Will probably try to adjust ourselves but if you have input that would be helpful.
Not good - that needs fixed or you may loose your door or contents.

4. When we did the walk thru the residential refrigerator had a black knob between the refrigerator and the freezer. Do we need one of those when traveling to keep the doors/drawer from opening? It still had a velcro strip on the doors, which we use. Norcold here - someone else will need to answer.

5. Our previous RV had rear stabilizers that helped tremendously to control movement. Has anybody added electronic stabilizers? Several folks have added jacks to the back, but be careful with rear clearance. If you are already experiencing movement and it bothers you, it may be something to look at. If it doesn't bother you or you aren't experiencing it, the 6 pt is a wonderful system as is.

Thanks for any and all info!

Sue
See comments in Red, - Enjoy that Rig!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #5

Little round black knob in between the refrigerator doors holds the doors closed when traveling. Unscrew it when you get to your site.
jhardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #6

I got under the rig and sprayed the tracks and gears with the CRC spray recommended for the bedroom slide most of the noises stopped. Our basement doors did the same thing, I made a note to fix it when I got a chance. I never got a chance but after use the gaskets compressed and the doors lock up fine and haven't opened since.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:26 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRAKOWITZ View Post
My wife and myself are one of the very few that have been blessed with our problem trailer but like I said before we are one of the very few that have been blessed with this. After 1 month with ours we have been a Believer of not buying a Friday or Monday built trailer as ours was a Friday assembled one We first thought it was just a myth going around but ours made us a believer of this. But once it comes back from Indiana and all is good "keeping fingers crossed" we will be one of very many that have nothing but pure positive to say about redwood and mark my words I will be one of those. All trailers will have their faults some are big and some are small but that is really what the fun is about owning a 5ver in my eyes. It helps when meeting great people at parks and on the road and trust me redwooders are some of the best to hang with and always have a story to tell or a joke to end with.

No Redwood is made in 1 day. Building is a 5 day process before it heads to the paint shop.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:39 PM   #8

I understand that but mine was finished on a Friday before paint
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #9

x2 on AA's reply

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
No Redwood is made in 1 day. Building is a 5 day process before it heads to the paint shop.
Why did they tell me they had a 4-6 week build time, and mine is standard paint scheme, not custom paint?
Old 09-10-2014, 02:11 AM   #11

I use the silicone lube on bedroom as stated, but I used spray white lithium grease on the geared rails on other slides once, ran them in/out a few times & wiped them off with a rag & now spray with the silicone, no more moaning/groaning. Yes I know they recommend not using grease on there, but it hasn't caused any problems & solved the issue.
As far as the compartment doors I had to put spacers under latch on one of them & longer screws in all of them.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #12

As above, a slight adjustment of the door catch was all the was needed on mine - same door interestingly. Loosened catch screws and moved out slightly until latch would catch. I think on one I had to move the catch a little (1/4") to the right or left. No problems since. A little 3 in 1 oil on both surfaces helps too.

My slides groan a little too - esp. Kitchen. I use lithium grease which I thought was recommended but I'll have to check the manual again.
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L TD, SRW, 4X4.

Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #13

My last rig groaned something fierce when the slides moved, and I contributed all of that to the magnesium chloride the transporter pulled it through when I took delivery. It was black when it arrived on the cold December day and when it thawed, everything underneath turned immediately to rust. I could never get enough grease in the right spot to make the slides quiet.

So far I have avoided that stuff with this one. Now I find out the dirt road to our storage gets sprayed with that junk about twice a year so it makes a hard surface - until it gets wet. Turned around and went home the other day when I noticed they had just sprayed it and the road was soup.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #14

Although the manual on my last rig said not to lube it, I used a dry graphite spray, Slip plate (I have used other dry graphite sprays that are easier to find). The main concern was to use a lubricant that doesn't attract dirt. The test was to spray it on some cardboard, let it dry and dump so sand or dirt on it. Nothing stuck so it passed the test. Sure quiets the main slide.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
Why did they tell me they had a 4-6 week build time, and mine is standard paint scheme, not custom paint?
The 4-6 week timeframe is not the build time but the total time it takes from order date to final assembly. That would include getting the frame built, building cabinets, and just plain waiting in line to start the build. As Dave stated, the actual build time in the factory is about 4 or 5 days.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:34 PM   #16

I've also found that if you unhook and level your trailer first before opening and closing the slides when your traveling everything works better. I still open it up at home hooked to the truck to fill or empty it out before and after the summer but when you are setting uneven it works a little harder.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:18 AM   #17

P B BLASTER has a dry Teflon spray that I have used for several years on the slides and works well on rubber seals. It comes in a aerosol can, sprays on wet but dries within seconds. Leaves a white powder behind, but leaves no oily residue to collect dust. Took most of the "groaning" out, but always a good idea to slide out after conforming unit is level.

as far as the other issues ......welcome to your new R V , always an adventure!
Six year old aussie shepard (Remy)
Semi retired, looking for somewhere to go
Hard to stay home with this much stuff
redwoodin with remy is offline   Reply With Quote