Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2021, 07:58 PM   #1
XYZ

Exclamation NEW hot water heater will not light on propane

Just swapped out my 12 gallon dsi..for a new unit.. wired the same.. ( or so i am thinking) board is 100% . As soon as i turn on the dsi switch fault light comes on..and stays on now.. but as usual.. it stayed lit till it lights/fires up.. It goes through the spark sequence.. 3x then locks out the system.. turn the switch off for 30 seconds.. repeat.. same result..

So my question is.. heater to board wiring.. the same.. same plug.. hard wired on the new heater.. it is a plug in.. new board tested same result. yes there is propnae to the unit from genny/furnace/fidge/stove all work 100%

ya i know take pictures... but i did not heater to coach wiring.. red to pink.. green to green.. yellow to yellow brown to blue.. at least that's what i am thinking it was..

and that is where i might have an issue any ideas or inputs would be REALLY help full

2013 36fl

as i said it goes through the 3x purge and light sequence PLENTY OF SPARK.. but no propane flow dealer says valve is a ok.. soooo????
XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #2
XYZ

solved new tank is 100% new wired the same... took forever to find the fault..

Basically the ground wire from the heater to coach wiring was very corroded where it attaches to the frame. Plenty of 12 volt 13.3 amps.... just a weak ground. As the aluminum super structure and aluminum tank ground wires (while tied together) didn`t provide enough to allow the solenoids to open..
Old 03-20-2021, 04:10 PM   #3

Maybe you didn't need the new unit. .that is always the first thing u look for when anything 12 volt doesn't work. Ground. I always keep a 15' #12 ground wire with 2 alligator clips along with a 12v light. Something doesn't work or is weak jump the ground first to the frame and see if there is a difference.
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:20 PM   #4
XYZ

lol i wish had to replace it... went to put a new element into it.. went from a ratchet to a breaker bar on the element.. so corroded 1/2 sheared the element off and cracked the weld on the tank... 950++ bucks gone and now have 2 new thermostats, new element along with the old gas valve to sell/dispose of....

and for those of you whom have older units.. or even new ones check your ground connections on the frame and from the power distro box to frame....