Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #1

looking at used 2012 36RL

Hello:

We are looking at a used 2012 36RL, with a slide in slide, full body paint, dual panes, single A/C etc. I am looking for information from owners of this model who have known issues.

For one, this one has the Goodyear Marathons - I am hoping the rims and G614 tires from our Cameo will fit (the Cameo rims are Hi-Spec, and are rated for something like 3960 lbs each). If so, I would do a tire/rim swap as part of the deal

Our TV may be a deal breaker as we have a 2011 chevy Silverado 3500HD, single rear wheels, Duramax/Allison. Our payload capacity is about 4200 lbs, and the dry weight from the Redwood brochure is something like 2600 lbs. My wife does not want a dually.

Thanks in advance for any comments

Rick
trinita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:39 PM   #2

The only things that I know of with 2012 36RL and we have one, is that Redwood issued a Technical Service Bulletin for the hydraulic system involving the rewiring of the Trombetta above the batteries and the addition of a bus bar. And they also provide free of charge a cover for the awning switches in the garage. Objects can shift in the garage causing the awning to extend while underway.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinita View Post
Hello:

We are looking at a used 2012 36RL, with a slide in slide, full body paint, dual panes, single A/C etc. I am looking for information from owners of this model who have known issues.

For one, this one has the Goodyear Marathons - I am hoping the rims and G614 tires from our Cameo will fit (the Cameo rims are Hi-Spec, and are rated for something like 3960 lbs each). If so, I would do a tire/rim swap as part of the deal

Our TV may be a deal breaker as we have a 2011 chevy Silverado 3500HD, single rear wheels, Duramax/Allison. Our payload capacity is about 4200 lbs, and the dry weight from the Redwood brochure is something like 2600 lbs. My wife does not want a dually.

Rick

I have the 2012 RL slide-in-slide and have towed it all over the country. I would be very concerned about having only one A/C unit. My unit cools down but it takes both units running.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:20 AM   #4

I bought G614's & rims off a Montana Big Sky and had no issues installing them, so you should be OK with the straight swap.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:47 AM   #5

We have a 2012 36RL. We traded a Carriage Carr-lite for it. The Redwood had the marathon tires and the Carriage had the G614,s. Exchanged with no problem. I don't know if your Cameo has the never lube bearings like ours, but if so make sure you keep the centers from the Redwood rims since it most likely has the easy lube axles and you need the cap in the centers so you can lube the axles.
As to the tow vehicle, I have a 3500 dually and I wouldn't want to pull a rig this size with anything less but there are a lot of people that do safely. This is my on personal opinion and I like to have a decent weight cushion.
Don't have the slide in slide but am well satisfied with the construction etc.
I would want the 2nd A/C. In fact we were looking to put a 2nd one on the Carriage when we say the Redwood and went that route instead. You may be able to work at least part of the cost of a 2nd A/C into the deal, or have one put on yourself.
Good Luck, we love ours
Old 02-21-2014, 12:52 AM   #6

Rick, you don't say what type of camping you do. For full time or long term the RL can get heavy on the pin. Now we travel heave and have a combo washer/dryer, 5.5 Onan generator, dual size 31 batteries, dual 40 Lb Propane tanks, Plus we have clothes for just about all seasons and a pretty full basement which puts our pin at 4K plus.
Plus I agree with Dave 1000% about the ACs. In moderate temps one is enough, but if it gets into the mid 80s and up you need two to keep cool. With both running we have kept the inside temps in the low 70s while mid 90s outside.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:46 AM   #7

Without a generator, W/D, and any water, our 36RL was OK on the SRW - I say OK, because it was close to max. As long as you are OK without those items you should be good.

Ended up with a dually after we installed the generator and W/D. Wife won't touch it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've had it almost a year and not a single dent.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:48 AM   #8

I would also be hesitant with only one A/C unit, you would be OK in mild conditions but in summer heat, especially if your in full sun, you would not be able to cool down your coach adequately.

As to your TV, as you've heard from others here, you really should pull the RL with a dually but if you won't be hauling frequently or for long distances you could use a SRW truck, just be careful and take it slow.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:31 AM   #9
Site Team

Just tell your wife that a truck is like a woman.......hips are cool.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:18 AM   #10

If you have a long bed 3500 the dually is not much different driving. My wife drives ours regularly & so far I've put the only dent on it. Also know several friends that tow with srw trucks & have had no problems so far.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:43 AM   #11

Thanks for all the comments. This unit has the black/burgundy paint, so yes, it would draw heat. A second A/C would be essential. We should be ok with the rim switchover, and we have the easy lube hubs. We have been travelling for months, so have packed clothes for different seasons. The large basement area of the Redwood beckons us to add more.

I think the deal breaker would be our truck.

Rick
Old 02-21-2014, 03:47 AM   #12
Site Team

trinita, good luck and keep us posted on what you decide. Hope to have you join our friendly little group someday.

Happy Trails!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:35 AM   #13

I'm assuming the 2nd AC is roughed in making it easy to install one, or maybe not - I guess I haven't seen the roof on one without the 2nd AC.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments. This unit has the black/burgundy paint, so yes, it would draw heat. A second A/C would be essential. We should be ok with the rim switchover, and we have the easy lube hubs. We have been travelling for months, so have packed clothes for different seasons. The large basement area of the Redwood beckons us to add more.

I think the deal breaker would be our truck.

Rick
Rick,

We have a 2012 F350 CC, long box SRW and I assume the spec are reasonably close to your truck.

We have pulled our 36FL over 5,000mls so far without any issue. Am finally putting air bags on it next week. Yes we are pushing the limits on the rear axle so I mitigate the risks. Always check tire pressures and ensure the tanks are always empty.

On this trip we have met numerous RW owners and baring 1 they all use SRW trucks.

Would I prefer a dually - most certainly yes, but we will work with the SRW for the next couple of years.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Hello:

Rick
I bought my Dodge Ram 3500, SRW, longbed Laramie before I bought the 5th wheel; I thought I was going to buy a 36 ft (or less) long trailer. But, when we saw the Redwood, we decided the 36RL was the one for us.

We have a 2012 36RL. Dry weight was 13,416 lbs. Pin weight was 2665 lbs. That includes the options of gen prep but no generator, washer/dryer prep but no washer, two A/C's (and you need both), dual pane windows, dual 12 Volt (size 27) batteries, slide toppers and 1 awning. I have the Trail-Air Tri-glide pin box, Kodiak disk brakes (wouldn't pull this trailer without them) and Goodyear G614 tires. When traveling between locations, we carry about 5 to 10 gallons of fresh water and empty holding tanks. We otherwise pack much lighter than most folks; groceries few clothes, some fishing tackle, a ladder and an air compressor.

By keeping our travel weight down, the pin weight is in the range of 2800 to 3000 lbs. That is over the truck's rated (official) weight of 2649 lbs. I run the tire pressures at 65 psi on the front and 80 psi on the rear.

We have traveled with the trailer right at 10,000 miles on 3 different trips this past year with no troubles. I generally tow at 60 to 62 MPH for about 300 to 350 miles per day. I don't have to be in a big hurry any more. Except for some rough bridge approaches, we don't know the trailer is behind us.

Now, having said all of this, if I had it to do all over again, I would have a DRW truck just so there is some safety margin.

We have had no significant issues with our RW. We did have an issue with our dealer taking care of a recall (hydraulic brake related early 2012) in a timely manner. Other minor items were taken care of by the factory service center at annual inspection time very satisfactory. The factory service center has been super.

Hope this helps.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:19 PM   #16

On the option sheet it listed 30,000 btu A/C, so I wonder if there are two units installed?. I did not climb up to the roof and the sales guy was hot on my heels. I noticed HP on the thermostat, thus it had a heat pump
Old 02-22-2014, 12:00 AM   #17

Quote:
On the option sheet it listed 30,000 btu A/C, so I wonder if there are two units installed?. I did not climb up to the roof and the sales guy was hot on my heels. I noticed HP on the thermostat, thus it had a heat pump
30,000 would be 2 ACs, so if it truly has them, that is good! They are both towards the back. You should be able to see from the side.

Sounds like the main one is a heat pump too!
Old 02-22-2014, 03:32 AM   #18

Thought RW site listed 30k ac as standard, heat pumps optional?
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Thought RW site listed 30k ac as standard, heat pumps optional?
They might be now, when we bought, the 30K btu was optional (second ac) at $1,015, and an additional $385 for each AC to be a heat pump (MSRP prices of course)
Old 02-25-2014, 12:01 AM   #20

Based on the responses, we thought we would move ahead and enter into negotiations with the dealer. We sent e-mail early Saturday and never did receive a response. On their webpage, it appears that they have a deal in progress. Too bad we did not receive a response, but will keep on looking.

Your time to respond to my queries is appreciated,
Rick