Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2018, 11:13 PM   #1

Level-Up system in cold weather

I had trouble today hooking up because the Level-Up system took forever to retract. Temperature outside today was 0 (-18 in Canadian). The Lippert site had some recommendations for using a different hydraulic fluid for colder temperatures. Has anyone changed out the hydraulic fluid and if so how is the performance once the temperatures are in the 70+ range. I don't plan on moving our Redwood much in colder temperatures but if someone has some suggestions for me I 'd really appreciate it. It's supposed to start warming up in the next few days but we're scheduled to leave for parts warmer in about two weeks and I want be ready with a fix if necessary.
Talisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:46 AM   #2

My Redwood did same thing in cold weather. The auto breakers would trip every 2 seconds. Decided the 30amp auto breakers were becoming too weak. Changed them out , 3 of them, and all works well now. Bought them at an auto supply. Hope this helps.
Redwood2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:11 AM   #3

The anti stiction, motorcycle fork, oil that they/I added, 1 1/2 quart, to mine was 15w so its already fairly light.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:44 AM   #4

Ya I tried to move mine below zero from storage, and one jack (right front) stalled, then it leaked after that. I quit messing with the Redwood below zero. Both fenders cracked parked in a garage. Never did figure that out.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:51 AM   #5

frozen unit

When we left Ontario at the end on December the temp was around -30 / -35 f. The system would not work. First off what we learned is if the batteries are low due to the temp the draw from the truck will be so large it will pop the 30amp fuse on your truck. What we had to do was start the gen and let it run for 30 min. Disconnect the truck (and change the fuse). Then we played with the switch in both directions. From there they worked. We could raise the unit to pin and then retract all the jacks. Also be sure to check the fuse after you get pinned as if it is blown your batteries will die and then the brakes get really hinky especially if you have disk brakes.
i bought one of these to these the circuits https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
I had trouble today hooking up because the Level-Up system took forever to retract. Temperature outside today was 0 (-18 in Canadian). The Lippert site had some recommendations for using a different hydraulic fluid for colder temperatures. Has anyone changed out the hydraulic fluid and if so how is the performance once the temperatures are in the 70+ range. I don't plan on moving our Redwood much in colder temperatures but if someone has some suggestions for me I 'd really appreciate it. It's supposed to start warming up in the next few days but we're scheduled to leave for parts warmer in about two weeks and I want be ready with a fix if necessary.

I have not had the experience with my RV, but I am in the construction industry using hydraulic scissor lifts to do overhead work. I don’t know what fluid is used in the RV jacks, but in my scissor lifts, I had to change out to aircraft hydraulic fluid. It will work in much lower temperatures such as what aircraft do at high elevations. Just my 2 cents worth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rod_finlayson is offline   Reply With Quote