Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Site Team

Anyone with knowledge about these disc brakes,

In my final preperations for our upcoming trip to Colorado, this moring I was checking the Trailair Equaflex suspension system andKodiak Disc Brake hubs. I removed a small 2 1/2 inch diameter cover from the center of the wheel hubs and found that inside the assemblies appear to have oil bath wheel bearings. Inside the wheel hub, there is what appears to be a 2 1/4 inch,hexagonal shaped, clear plastic screw on cover with a centered rubber plug (1 inch diameter). Both parts have Kodiak stamped on them and the clear plastic cover indicates an SAE 90 oil level.

Does anyone have experience with the Kodiak Disc Brakes? Do these in fact replace the greased wheel bearing system with an oil bath wheel bearing system? My main concern is that I can't see any evidence that there is oil in there. All SAE90 oil that I have ever seen is black and the clear hexagonal cover does not appear to be showing any oil.

The reason I also mentioned the Trailair Equalflex suspension system above is that as I was applying the grease I found that all 9 of the zerks on the left side of the trailer were loose and about 4 out of 9 on the right side were loose. Also, out 6 out of 18 were extremely difficult to get them to take grease. Just something else for every one to check.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #2

I'm not familiar with the Kodiak hubs, but a medium duty Freightliner that I had was equipped with oil bath front hubs that had caps similar to what you described. The oil in them wasn't black, and it was difficult to see the oil level. The best way to check it was to pull the rubber plug. The full oil level was just below the bottom of the plug. I would check the level by sticking my finger in the hole.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
Site Team

Roger,

At the time I ordered our 36RL, I wanted to order oil bath wheel bearing system but was unable to determine that the option was available. So, I am very pleasantlysurprised to find that I have it.

You indicate that the bearing oil level is hard to see. I checked all 4 wheels and they all appear the same. I did not try to pull the rubber plug......I did not want to damage something. The SAE 90 oil that I am familiar with is the type used in automotive and tractor differentials and that is generally a very dark brown to black color.Do automotive suppliers like Autozone or Advance Auto carry the wheel bearing type oil?

Thanks for the info.......... I will check the wheels tomorrow. I just want to make sure that everything is ready for an upcoming 4000 mile trip over the next 7 weeks.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote