Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #21

KR2011,

Your right. we could end up with more pin weight and less axel weight. I guess the maid will have to loose weight and ride in the lining room.

Lillyputz
Old 04-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771
Guy (hoosierguy), that means our RL well come even a little heavier as we have all the options you have less the central vac,but we have the generator, the second awing, combo washer/dryer and the Trav'ler SK-3005 DirecTV Dish on the roof so we should be over 14K before we even move things. So I would say, yep we'll be over 15K easy, probably getting close to 16going down the highway, and no we do not have things sitting on the floor. Everything is put away and we still have several cupboards that are nearly empty. Pots, pans, dinnerware, silverware, cooking appliances, etc can add up in a hurry.
The only option I did not order was the slide out awnings, becuase of the 2nd power awning.

Lillyputz
Old 04-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
mhs4771, if you ordered washer/dryer, generator, dishwasher, disk brakes, G614s, etc, your RL will be just over 14K. Mine was 14,167, but GVRW was 16,500. That still leaves lots of capacity for theSK-3005, etc.

People are overestimating what they "need" tobring along and how much it weighs. Picture needing 3000lbs of "stuff" just to survive??? Best thing about 5th-wheeling is getting away from all that clutter at your house.

AMEN!!! Thats what I've been trying to say.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #24

I have been looking for the ship weight. I have looked in all the normal areas but to no avail. Where have they hidden the little decal on the 36RE's?

Old 04-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #25

Ours was on the back of the front control closet door.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #26

I think this one may have gotten by without it. I sold rvs for 4 years and all the places I have ever found the weight sticker simply is not there, so I guess the next time we roll I will stop and have it weighed.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #27

Mine is also behind the closet door where the monitor panel is. There is also a sticker there containing every serial number from every piece of equipment on the unit.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #28

That is where it should be, but isn't. Not a big deal, just curious.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
mhs4771, if you ordered washer/dryer, generator, dishwasher, disk brakes, G614s, etc, your RL will be just over 14K. Mine was 14,167, but GVRW was 16,500. That still leaves lots of capacity for theSK-3005, etc.

People are overestimating what they "need" tobring along and how much it weighs. Picture needing 3000lbs of "stuff" just to survive??? Best thing about 5th-wheeling is getting away from all that clutter at your house.
It all depends...If I didn't ever think my truck was going to break or the trailer wouldn't ever need fixed I could leave 400 lbs of tool behind including saw, axes,ladders and hoses. I'm a business man so I dress as a business person during the day and causual at night...that's double cloths. I carry 3 computers, printers, magazines (I'm in the magazine business) and the list goes on and on. If I wanted a cheap camper and didn't worry about the weight I'd buy myself a $40-50,000 5th wheel. But what I bought was a 5th wheel that had a sticker for over $125,000. With that ....call me silly... but I think we should get more than what a cheap $40-50,000 trailer brings to the table.

With all of that said...I'll be happy if my trailer has a CCC of 2500 or better. I'd be thrilled if it came with a CCC of 3000lbs.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #30

All I can say is I know what this Montana weighs vs what the dry weight is, so since there's a Pilot/Flying J right next to the Dealer we might pay a visit to the scales once we get everything moved and see where we end up
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #31

Dave I think you might you might be surprised as to how little every thing ways. We have every thing such as both of our summer and winter clothes, everything needed to cook a seven course meal, all of my teaching materials, every tool I would need to repair the truck or trailer, and so on and yet we only have less than 1200#'s

Old 04-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #32

Dave: after you see how pretty your Redwood is and how convenient all those options are, you'll be so excited you'll probably leave all those saws, axes and ladders at home. Bingo... you're under the 16,500!!! (at least for the first few trips)
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR2011
Dave I think you might you might be surprised as to how little every thing ways. We have every thing such as both of our summer and winter clothes, everything needed to cook a seven course meal, all of my teaching materials, every tool I would need to repair the truck or trailer, and so on and yet we only have less than 1200#'s

Brayn I hope you're right...but then again it might not be a problem anyway if they raise the GVW of the unite with disk brakes and G rated tires as was posted earlier
Old 04-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #34
Site Team

lillyputz made my day when they posted that their GVW is over 17000
Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #35

It makes me wonder what my dry weights will end up being.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny

I'm not real happy today after reading a post by someone that said that their RL with most of the bells and wistles weighs over 14k empty. Now I'm not stupid but....the paper work says 12600. You add a generater, washer/dryer and all the other goodies I don't see tipping the scale that much.

Hello. By the picture on your post (nice looking rig) you have an SRW truck. Our tag says the rig as purchased weighs in at 13088. I did get the 8000lb axles (it was a dealer model) but I am a little concerned about pin weight as I pull it with a 2011 Ford F350 diesel with the stock towing package and air bags with an extra large reservoir for airing the tires on the road. We are planning on getting a generator and a washer dryer, but right now just running light as I have some warranty issues to deal with and will be dropping the trailer off when return from a quick trip to Seattle. The rig came with load E Goodyears as well, which doesn't make any sense to me either, but I guess my question is are you concerned about to loads on your rear axle/tires once you really settle into the rig? I orginally didn't really plan to use it to travel in but for a place to stay on our little ranch in California, but now we have some travelling to do since our son is moving, and I am wondering how wise my decision was. Any thoughts? Definitely thinking of new tires for the rig. I also read the specs off some website that said dry weight was 12600 on a 36RL, which is what we have.
kfdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #37

Sorry - trying to handle more than one thought at a time. Our rig is a 36RL weighing according to the tag 13008 as delivered to the dealer, if my post wasn't clear.
We pull it with a SRW diesel F350.Edited by: kfdray
Old 04-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #38

Kris, the only way you will know for sure is to get yourself onto some scales. You need to find out exactly how much weight is on the axles and on the pin. I would highly reccommend getting different tires as those "E" rated tires are great for a light weight TT, but not for a heavy rig like Montanas and Redwoods. The biggest downfall of SRW TV is their ability to handle the Pin weight, thus the reason to get it weighed so you know how much weight in on your TVs rear axle. BTW, we have a 36RL due at the end of the month with most of the goodies, but we've got a Dually so I'm not to concerned.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #39

Thanks, Michelle. You have a great TV by all accounts. I wore out a 2005 2500HD ranching (150K in 3 years) but at the end the powertrain was still humming after 3 years of mud, dust, and pulling water trailers and livestock trailers. I should have known better than to go SRW, but I thought I was done RVing after we bought our place in Montana and the new Ford engine has no trouble getting the 36RL from place to place. Trying to decide what to do with this thing right now. We like the layout and it is a beautiful coach inside and out, but we have some issues with the Redwood dealer we bought it from (no longer a dealer apparently) and with the Redwood warranty and service network on the west coast in general. It is a new line and we expected a few issues, but maybe not so many for a rig we have hardly used yet. I don't, of course, blame Redwood for having an indadequate TV - just poor planning on my part. How did you like your Montana? Why did you switch to Redwood, if you don't mind me asking? We liked what we saw of the upper end rigs and even considered one of the shorter Mountaineers for a runaround rig, but the insulation in Mountaineers is not adequate for four seasons, IMO.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #40

Kris not to but in but we are switching from a Montana to a Redwood because of the quality of the Redwood. Don't get me wrong the Montana is a great rig and quite frankly we weren't even looking to trade but we went to an RV show and fell in love with the Redwood. We went on a trip this last winter and lost most all of our glass ware because we have a rear kitchen and the roads were terrible so the new floor plan will solve this issue.
Your right about the Montana's not being well insulated for winter use in the north country but the Redwood is even less capable at least in the tank area. I went to the factory and they only put a layer of the astro foil down under the tanks and nothing else.
When my 36FL arrives next week it will go into my shop for some upgrades.Edited by: KR2011