Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #1

Installation of Morryde IS System

This was a remarkable experience going to Morryde for their in shop service and installation of my new IS System on my 38RL!

Pictures attached show the RV, partial and full installation of the IS system on my unit.

The latter pictures are of all the junk they removed from under the RV. I mean close inspection of these parts revealed allot of wear and tear and potential failure.

The pictures included show the install, without the Brake Lines installed yet!

After leaving Morryde and heading home, I definitely gave the IS system and incredible workout. Down thru Indianapolis and down I70 was enough to jar your teeth loose. Trailer road fine and the IS did its job!

Well worth every penny!

Follow the link to see photos:

http://pix.sfly.com/np5w9TqS

Enjoy!
camper94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:31 PM   #2

Looks great ! I have similar pictures to remember the trip....

What a good experiance dealing with ALL the folks there...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:40 AM   #3

So, I gotta ask but before I do, please understand that this is the only fifth wheel I’ve ever towed. In fact I’ve never even been in a vehicle that was towing a fifth wheel before. Prior to the RW, my total experience with towing a 5er was seeing others being towed down the highway.

With that being said, how do you tell the difference that the IS makes?

2017 Ram Longhorn 3500 Cummings/Aisin DRW LB CC and a cute little aftermarket fuel cap
MuddFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:47 AM   #4
Site Team

General handling of the coach and the whole rig, if you add disk brakes you'll live them too. Hardly ever have anything move around inside, and oh yeah. NEVER HAVE TO BE CONCERNED WITH SPRINGS, EQUALIZES, BUSHINGS ETC. AGAIN. Have had it on ours over five years and more than 40k miles so far with no issues. Will never have another fifth wheel without IS and disc brakes.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #5

After having the IS system installed, I was required to take the RV for a test drive around the block (actually 2 blocks). I had a Metal Drink Cup sitting on the kitchen counter. When I returned to Morryde and looked inside, the Cup was still standing on the counter. And the 2 block trip wasn't on new paved roads either, but rough city streets and across 2 railroad tracks.

Had I did the same test drive with my old axles and shocks, that cup would have fallen.

THE IS system with Disc Brakes are worth every penny!

Hope this helps.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #6

Like Vaughan and Jeff stated, worth every penny....

We now leave the coffee pot on the counter, along with the glass salt and pepper shakers... I leave water in the dogs bowl at times ( by mistake ) and there are NO drops on the surrounding floor.

As far as the ride, OR SHOULD I SAY GLIDE.... it really feels like it is gliding behind you... no more holding on at bridge approaches.

This is the second fiver with the IS, and DW has already stated that if and when we get another, it will have the IS on it BEFORE we pick it up... And that is coming from someone who DOES NOT usually understand the quality of stuff like that.

The other positive is the feeling that you have no more worries under the frame... that piece of mind is HUGE, especially hearing about the spring and shackle issues that have plagued the WHOLE industry...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #7

Just to expand on Ford Truck Guy: The IS system is designed to help with the rough roads we all have traveled on in this country. There will be times while driving on rough roads that you will feel every bump. I have a Trailer Saver Air Ride Hitch and Morryde Pinbox. And even Overload springs on my BIG Dodge 3500, I still feel some bumps and sometimes bumps that will knock your teeth out. But, the RV is riding smooth and that is what the IS is truly designed for.

I looked at the Shackles on my old Axles and Springs. The Shackles were in very bad shape, after only 18000 miles on the road.

Replaced the 7K axles with 8K IS and Disc Brakes.

Again, Money well spent. And Morryde stands behind their work and product.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:00 PM   #8

I want to thank you for taking the time to post pictures and your opinion...…. HOW EVER I WILL BE IN TROUBLE WITH MY WIFE>>>> I now know there is $6900 bill in my near future. We have a 38RL also and I have been saying to my wife that disk brakes and better ride for the coach is a must. I have spent to much time putting screws in that pull out and putting things back in the way they should have been instead of looking like a shake and bake zip lock in every cabinet.

FYI your old drum brake where getting to much lube. put 2 or three pumps in every 3000 ~5000 mile or once yearly. 20-30 years ago we never lubed the front rotors on your 1980 cars . every time it went in for a front brake job they work clean inspect and repack wheel bearing. true the load your camper bearing carry is higher but same grease.

If you don't mind me asking what axel did you have them install 7000 or 8000? I am thinking about 8K IS. Last time I was on the scale last fall I had almost 13000lbs on the tires of the coach. I know the 7k would be enough but you do get a larger outer bearing with the 8K axle. they may need to down grade the rubber spring to 7000 or slightly more with the 8K ????

Thanks again for all the info!
Old 07-10-2018, 10:30 PM   #9

I know about the grease, I had blown a seal on the one Hub. Fortunately, the IS axles won't need much maintenance for 12 to 15 thousand miles, according to Morryde. Also, concerning the 7 or 8K axles, will not give you more carrying capacity if you go with the 8K. You cannot exceed the original GVWR that was set at the factory, when the unit was built. My GVWR is 16500 and I have a 38RL like you. Morryde NO Longer weighs the Axles anymore, so I suspect they use one type of Rubber Spring. They will measure and level the RV both before and after installation. In my case the RV was Riding about 1.5 inches high in the back. They installed the IS and the RV is now level front to back. When I say level front to back, that is with the RV hooked up to the Tow Vehicle. You won't regret putting the IS on your RV.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCMARK View Post
I want to thank you for taking the time to post pictures and your opinion...…. HOW EVER I WILL BE IN TROUBLE WITH MY WIFE>>>> I now know there is $6900 bill in my near future. We have a 38RL also and I have been saying to my wife that disk brakes and better ride for the coach is a must. I have spent to much time putting screws in that pull out and putting things back in the way they should have been instead of looking like a shake and bake zip lock in every cabinet.

FYI your old drum brake where getting to much lube. put 2 or three pumps in every 3000 ~5000 mile or once yearly. 20-30 years ago we never lubed the front rotors on your 1980 cars . every time it went in for a front brake job they work clean inspect and repack wheel bearing. true the load your camper bearing carry is higher but same grease.

If you don't mind me asking what axel did you have them install 7000 or 8000? I am thinking about 8K IS. Last time I was on the scale last fall I had almost 13000lbs on the tires of the coach. I know the 7k would be enough but you do get a larger outer bearing with the 8K axle. they may need to down grade the rubber spring to 7000 or slightly more with the 8K ????

Thanks again for all the info!
My previous trailer had the 7K IS installed during delivery. 2 years later we were at MOR/ryde putting 8K in, which is what I wanted in the first place, but let the shop manager talk me out of.

The amount of steel difference is substantial going from 7K to 8K. The springs are the same except for capacity between the different axle sizes. They are rated by 'durometer' and you can put 7K rated springs on an 8K axle.

I was at MOR/ryde in March and got to see all of their axles at one time. To get bigger bearings you need to step up to to the 9K IS.
The outer wheel bearing on the 9K is the same as the inner wheel bearing on the 8K axle, it is huge.

Those bigger bearing are installed in larger rotors and 10K rated disc brakes. MOR/ryde calls them 9K disc brakes but Kodiak says they don't make 9k, 8K then 10K is the next step.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:15 AM   #11

We have a 36RL, we broke three springs on each stack of the front axel at the same time. The unit dropped and cut the brake wire. We will be up grading as well.
It's a must!
osolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthole View Post
My previous trailer had the 7K IS installed during delivery. 2 years later we were at MOR/ryde putting 8K in, which is what I wanted in the first place, but let the shop manager talk me out of.

The amount of steel difference is substantial going from 7K to 8K. The springs are the same except for capacity between the different axle sizes. They are rated by 'durometer' and you can put 7K rated springs on an 8K axle.

I was at MOR/ryde in March and got to see all of their axles at one time. To get bigger bearings you need to step up to to the 9K IS.
The outer wheel bearing on the 9K is the same as the inner wheel bearing on the 8K axle, it is huge.

Those bigger bearing are installed in larger rotors and 10K rated disc brakes. MOR/ryde calls them 9K disc brakes but Kodiak says they don't make 9k, 8K then 10K is the next step.
Hi Duane , Not sure I understand (only once cup of coffee this morning) Are you saying that Morryde installed 8K under your trailer but they tried to talk you out of it? My feeling is with 13000 lbs on the tires now its very close to max weight. if you have ever been in New England and driven our roads you would understand my thoughts. pot holes and bridge construction is a daily issue . I am not to concerned with adding 200 lbs of steel to the sub frame , it would help keep the trailer wheels in alinement long term. currently we are using the trailer just a few weeks a year but I also still am adding gear as we find a need for certain outdoor equipment. My last Holiday Rambler didn't have much storage room so extra gear was a problem. Even with 8K IS being loaded light I would think it would ride much better then spring 7K without shocks (mine has a Lippert rubber trunnion) , What's your thoughts? Is the 7K enough or should I not back down on the 8K upgrade. When I call Morryde they didn't suggest a upgrade , I felt like they didn't want to be responsible for overloads.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:08 PM   #13
Site Team

When you call MorRyde and set up the appt tell them you want the 8k suspension. To my knowledge they don't recommend the 7k for any Redwood. I had 7k springs and put 8k IS on over 5 years ago. Your 38RL is a bit heavier than my 36. Do the 8k.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Hi Duane , Not sure I understand (only once cup of coffee this morning) Are you saying that Morryde installed 8K under your trailer but they tried to talk you out of it? My feeling is with 13000 lbs on the tires now its very close to max weight. if you have ever been in New England and driven our roads you would understand my thoughts. pot holes and bridge construction is a daily issue . I am not to concerned with adding 200 lbs of steel to the sub frame , it would help keep the trailer wheels in alinement long term. currently we are using the trailer just a few weeks a year but I also still am adding gear as we find a need for certain outdoor equipment. My last Holiday Rambler didn't have much storage room so extra gear was a problem. Even with 8K IS being loaded light I would think it would ride much better then spring 7K without shocks (mine has a Lippert rubber trunnion) , What's your thoughts? Is the 7K enough or should I not back down on the 8K upgrade. When I call Morryde they didn't suggest a upgrade , I felt like they didn't want to be responsible for overloads.

This is my previous trailer.

Ordered spring 2009, had MOR/ryde IS and disc brakes while still at the dealer for delivery.
Trailer was a 2010 2 axle Cyclone Toy hauler with a 14,000 GVW. Fill the water tank and I was just about at max GVW before even putting a roll of paper towels in the rig.

I discussed the options with the plant manager at the time, I wanted the 8K is with 7K rated springs. Due to the extra cost of about $350 per axle and extra weight he pushed the7K.
I ended up with 7K IS

These time frames are approximate.
One year later while having an inspection MOR/ryde replaced all my springs, too much deflection (under warranty).
One year after that at a MOR/ryde inspection they again found a spring failed and replaced it.
One year after that at an inspection they determined the springs looked bad again but this time brought out the scales.

Big pow wows ensued over my overweight trailer. This was based on the 14K GVW. Heartland the year after my model was built upped the GVW to 15,500, adding some capacity from the pin. The only change between the 2010 and 2011 was the decal, no physical changes.

Anyway, that discussion led to the recommendation that I should have the 8K IS components and not just the springs. NO kidding!

They offered to replace the 7K with 8K for $3600 and told them to go pound salt and put my trailer outside - I was done.
Cooler heads prevailed and they offered to do the replacement for $1800, including repacking the bearings and replacing the brake pads.

I interpolated in my head that this was about $300 for the bearings and pads, $750 for the IS upgrade, which I would have paid 3 years prior, so the real cost was about $700 dollars.

I ok'd the work and the next day when finished the had cut the bill in half again to $900. So, aside from the extra day and a half traveling (we were in Elkhart already) I broke even.

June 2017 I tried to get in again for an inspection and couldn't fit it into my timetable, I thought I had a spring problem.
When I got home I found another failed spring. MOR/ryde sent me two springs at no charge and I replaced them myself, both springs for same side, (I figured I had traveled over 1000 miles on one failed spring, overloading the other).

You can put the spring rating on for you your desired weight (durometer rating).
I would put nothing less then the 8K IS on, and match your springs. The amount of steel is substantial.

MOR/ryde also has a 8.4 IS and a 9K IS

I do not know what the 8.4 is exactly, but I can tell you the 9K is substantial, and has massive brakes compared to the others.

Check out these pictures from a March 2018 visit to MOR/ryde. 8K versus 9K
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MR_e_IS_9K_&_8K_b.jpg (175.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg MR_f_IS_9K_&_8K_a.jpg (146.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg MR_g_IS_8K-8.4-9K_b.jpg (116.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg MR_h_IS_8K-8.4-9K_a.jpg (97.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-15-2018, 04:28 PM   #15

I am a fan of MOR/ryde products. They do great work, fabricate an excellent product and have very fair labor rates.

But I am also realistic. Every time I will be near the facility I try and set up an inspection, especially while I am still under the 5 year warranty.

They have overnight spots at the plant with electric, and water is available. I set my inspection appointments for 7am.

Arrive the night before and get ready for the shop at 6am. Several times my trailer was in the shop by 6:30, they start early and go home early.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthole View Post
This is my previous trailer.

Ordered spring 2009, had MOR/ryde IS and disc brakes while still at the dealer for delivery.
Trailer was a 2010 2 axle Cyclone Toy hauler with a 14,000 GVW. Fill the water tank and I was just about at max GVW before even putting a roll of paper towels in the rig.

I discussed the options with the plant manager at the time, I wanted the 8K is with 7K rated springs. Due to the extra cost of about $350 per axle and extra weight he pushed the7K.
I ended up with 7K IS

These time frames are approximate.
One year later while having an inspection MOR/ryde replaced all my springs, too much deflection (under warranty).
One year after that at a MOR/ryde inspection they again found a spring failed and replaced it.
One year after that at an inspection they determined the springs looked bad again but this time brought out the scales.

Big pow wows ensued over my overweight trailer. This was based on the 14K GVW. Heartland the year after my model was built upped the GVW to 15,500, adding some capacity from the pin. The only change between the 2010 and 2011 was the decal, no physical changes.

Anyway, that discussion led to the recommendation that I should have the 8K IS components and not just the springs. NO kidding!

They offered to replace the 7K with 8K for $3600 and told them to go pound salt and put my trailer outside - I was done.
Cooler heads prevailed and they offered to do the replacement for $1800, including repacking the bearings and replacing the brake pads.

I interpolated in my head that this was about $300 for the bearings and pads, $750 for the IS upgrade, which I would have paid 3 years prior, so the real cost was about $700 dollars.

I ok'd the work and the next day when finished the had cut the bill in half again to $900. So, aside from the extra day and a half traveling (we were in Elkhart already) I broke even.

June 2017 I tried to get in again for an inspection and couldn't fit it into my timetable, I thought I had a spring problem.
When I got home I found another failed spring. MOR/ryde sent me two springs at no charge and I replaced them myself, both springs for same side, (I figured I had traveled over 1000 miles on one failed spring, overloading the other).

You can put the spring rating on for you your desired weight (durometer rating).
I would put nothing less then the 8K IS on, and match your springs. The amount of steel is substantial.

MOR/ryde also has a 8.4 IS and a 9K IS

I do not know what the 8.4 is exactly, but I can tell you the 9K is substantial, and has massive brakes compared to the others.

Check out these pictures from a March 2018 visit to MOR/ryde. 8K versus 9K

There is a huge difference from 8K to 9K in the bearing sizes! looks like the size of the bearings on the inside of a 7K . 90% of bearing failers are the small outer units , only guessing but its caused by running hotter .
Old 07-15-2018, 05:33 PM   #17

Quote:
There is a huge difference from 8K to 9K in the bearing sizes! looks like the size of the bearings on the inside of a 7K . 90% of bearing failers are the small outer units , only guessing but its caused by running hotter .
Forgot to mention the bearings.

The bearings on the 9K axle - the outer bearing is the same as the inner bearing on the smaller axles. This is the 9/10K Kodiak brakes. The inner bearing is huge.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:18 AM   #18

I have the 36RL, too, with the factory 7K axle/leaf spring suspension, but fortunately I live in Florida where the highways are not as bad as New England. I'll be upgrading to the IS after I retire in 5 years (need to up my 401k to cover the cost of the upgrade!)
mfsmith57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:13 AM   #19

Our '13 has 55-60k miles on the factory 7k axles & springs, the only upgrade was done at about 6k miles to MorRyde heavy shackles replacing the originals that had already had the holes elongated, bronze bushings to replace the worn out plastic ones & wet bolts that would actually take grease, so far no suspension problems traveling back/forth across the country.
Would have liked the IS, but could never justify the cost. I did upgrade to disc brakes as it was time for a brake job anyway & to H rated Sailun tires to replace the worn G rated Goodyears, both of which were money well spent.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:55 AM   #20

I talked with Ryan at MorRyde on Friday about putting IS on our 31SL. He indicated that they wanted your RV to weigh 16,000 before they would recommend the 8K IS.

Although I don't know exactly what we currently weigh as we are only making in state trips at this point, I know that we are in the 14,000+ range assuming that the factory weight is correct. So they would recommend the 7K IS for ours.

Their reasoning, which makes sense to me, is that they want to allow your unit to be able to utilize the amount of travel that is built into the IS which is 5.5 inches if I remember correctly. Putting the 8K IS under our RV, because of the lighter weight, wouldn't allow it to utilize the full travel of the IS system. And if I understood correctly, they still have different densities of the rubber that they install.