Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
Site Team

I am just a little curious.............are there any other Redwood owners on the forum from Indiana?

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy
I am just a little curious.............are there any other Redwood owners on the forum from Indiana?

Well it doesn't look like there are any other Redwood owners YET in Indiana...but you can join us in the Illinois and Iowa (central group). We're friendly!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #3

Come on over to the Central groupwe always have room for another friend!

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #4

Absolutely, come on over!!!!

Old 03-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Site Team

I and my wife may be the only Hoosiers to own a Redwood, but we sure do like her. Here is a link to a few pictures of our home on wheels. Hope this works.

http://s1150.photobucket.com/albums/o601/hoosierguy2/

Old 03-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy

I and my wife may be the only Hoosiers to own a Redwood, but we sure do like her. Here is a link to a few pictures of our home on wheels. Hope this works.

http://s1150.photobucket.com/albums/o601/hoosierguy2/

Well, that's a nice looking home on wheels
Old 03-31-2012, 05:35 AM   #7

hoosierguy,</span>
Love your rig. Noticed in you pics that your truck doesn't have dual wheels. Does it have any problems suspension wise managing your home? I have to buy a new truck and am having a difficult time with the rear tire configuration. I love the cab section. We are leaving the MH world and I want to do it right. Thanks.</span></span>
Old 03-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobys Home
hoosierguy,</span>
Love your rig. Noticed in you pics that your truck doesn't have dual wheels. Does it have any problems suspension wise managing your home? I have to buy a new truck and am having a difficult time with the rear tire configuration. I love the cab section. We are leaving the MH world and I want to do it right. Thanks.</span></span>

Once you go to duels you will never look back, it's the best move i ever made. If the mirrors fit so will the duels. Most of the singles will handle the 3,500 lbs but it just feels soooo much better with duels, its a bigchoice

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #9

Once you feel the stability of a dually you will never go back to a single wheel truck.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #10

And if you really dig deep into the weight thing, you might find that the pin weight of some of the models will exceed the rear axle/tire combo on a SRW 1 TonTV, not to even mention the 3/4 Tons. Some people will pull anything, there's a Montana HC, don't know exactly what model, just down from us now pulled by an extended cab Toyota 1/2 ton, can you say over loaded!
Edited by: mhs4771
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771

And if you really dig deep into the weight thing, you might find that the pin weight of some of the models will exceed the rear axle/tire combo on a SRW 1 TonÂ*TV, not to even mention the 3/4 Tons.Â* Some people will pull anything, there's a Montana HC, don't know exactly what model, just down from us now pulled by an extended cab Toyota 1/2 ton, can you say over loaded!
The dealer or person who told them it was OK to pull that Montana with a half ton needs to be slapped!

Old 03-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR2011
Quote:

And if you really dig deep into the weight thing, you might find that the pin weight of some of the models will exceed the rear axle/tire combo on a SRW 1 TonTV, not to even mention the 3/4 Tons. Some people will pull anything, there's a Montana HC, don't know exactly what model, just down from us now pulled by an extended cab Toyota 1/2 ton, can you say over loaded!
The dealer or person who told them it was OK to pull that Montana with a half ton needs to be slapped!

If you put air bags on an S10 or Ford Ranger you would probably have no problem towing it on flat ground either,, just think of the gas milage you could get with this combo. I amamazedsomebody out there hasn't said they have tried it I had a dealer say that they used a 1/2 ton to move a unit this size from their lot to a RV show with no problem. Its bad enough to have done it but to tell people that they done it istotallyirresponsible.

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
hoosierguy,

Love your rig. Noticed in you pics that your truck doesn't have dual wheels. Does it have any problems suspension wise managing your home? I have to buy a new truck and am having a difficult time with the rear tire configuration. I love the cab section. We are leaving the MH world and I want to do it right. Thanks.

Toby,

If you have not made a decision on your truck yet, I would certainly recommend the dual rear wheels. I haven't had any problems with the limited towing that I have done so far here in Indiana and Michigan. I think the suspension is the same on the Dodge RAM whether you have SRW or DRW except maybe for the shocks. But, you have about 2500 lbs more payload capacity with dual rear wheels. My king pin weight is only about 2800 lbs. and I don't plan to load it up much. I only carry about 20 gallons of water normally unless we are going someplace that doesn't have water available. As you can see in the pictures, the truck and coach are close to level. When I hitch up, the truck only squats about 2 1/2 to 3 inches.

I bought my truck first and had not planned to go with as big of a coach as we bought in the Redwood 36RL. But, once we saw the 36RL, we couldn't turn it down. The coach tows very nicely and you don't even know it's behind you until you are stopping. I don't really have any problem with stopping with the disk brake system.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR2011
Quote:

And if you really dig deep into the weight thing, you might find that the pin weight of some of the models will exceed the rear axle/tire combo on a SRW 1 TonÂ*TV, not to even mention the 3/4 Tons.Â* Some people will pull anything, there's a Montana HC, don't know exactly what model, just down from us now pulled by an extended cab Toyota 1/2 ton, can you say over loaded!
If you put air bags on an S10 or Ford Ranger you would probably have no problem towing it on flat ground either,, just think of the gas milage you could get with this combo. Â*I amÂ*amazedÂ*somebody out there hasn't said they have tried itÂ* I had a dealer say that they used a 1/2 ton to move a unit this size from their lot to a RV show with no problem. Its bad enough to have done it but to tell people that they done it isÂ*totallyÂ*irresponsible.Â*

I don't think you could even get a rig to move with an s10 or ranger and even with air bags you would just break an axle or blow out a tire or 2. It would be funny to see though.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:14 AM   #15

Thank you all for the truck info. My mind told me what you have mentioned. I will say however that the problem out there is that the salespeople say yeah you can pull it with a single wheel vehicle. You're right they must be slapped up side the head. Imagine traveling down the road at 65 plus and have to make a quick move�HOLD ON!!!!!!! After driving a big MH for years I have seen the best of the best out there. Some people have NOOOOOOO clue on how to enter traffic or even signaling in town. (A book soon to be written or even a reality show) ENUFFF. Thanks again folks!
Old 04-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you all for the truck info. My mind told me what you have mentioned. I will say however that the problem out there is that the salespeople say yeah you can pull it with a single wheel vehicle. You're right they must be slapped up side the head. Imagine traveling down the road at 65 plus and have to make a quick move�HOLD ON!!!!!!! After driving a big MH for years I have seen the best of the best out there. Some people have NOOOOOOO clue on how to enter traffic or even signaling in town. (A book soon to be written or even a reality show) ENUFFF. Thanks again folks!

Depending on the truck you're looking at the defference between a SRW and a dually is only about 1000lbs (F350 srw vs F350 drw) and a F450 is rated LESS than an F350 (cargo weight).The advantage of the F450 is bigger brakes and axles as well as more pulling power due to gearing.So even if you go with a DRW truck....you could easily be over weight and most are if they have tow beds. With dual wheel you do add some stabilityto the truck but they aren't fun when in the inside tire goes out and I've seen one tire take out the other. Then you're back to square 1 again because now you have 2 tires to replace or fix.

Keep your tires inflated and use your head. Ask yourself how much are you really going to be pulling your trailer. Most people unless they're full timers actually pull their trailers very little. If that's the case a SRW will work fine for you. But if you're going to pull a lot than get a dually but remember a dually is not the answer to all of the problems with pulling a trailer.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #17

Great point. We full time but in the last three years have only pulled ours5 times. We may be the exception to the full time as I am still working, but hope to get some traveling in now that I have more vacation time.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #18

Just picked my RL up Friday and was surprised by how heavy it feels to pull and stop - and how gigantic it is! I'mglad I did so much research on ordering the truck and trailer and how much I learned from others on this forum. So glad I ordered the G614s, disk brakes and Trail-Air. The RL towed beautifully.
Much credit to my dually which was rock-solid, plenty of power and plenty of braking. Make sure you get enough truck or it'll be white-knuckle time for you...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #19
Site Team

One more thing I'd like to add to the post I had earlier....You never want a mushy feeling on your truck while towing. I don't care how many tires you put under the truck, a mushy feeling can cause major problems while turning and stopping. (I've seen this on both DRW and SRW trucks) This is where the added bags can help stabalize the weight and take away the body roll.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #20

I have pulled with and without the bags. I would not ever pull again without them. What a difference they make.