Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2019, 05:07 AM   #1

Front slide leaked water while closed

I have a 2013 36FL. After driving through the rain for 4 hours, I noticed some water leaked from the slide while closed onto the living room carpet. After further inspection, the hard plastic shield covering the bottom of the slide floor leaked water from the edge which goes farthest into the RV (leading edge as the slide moves in). There appears to be water between the outside hard plastic and the floor of the slide. Once I pulled the slide out, it appears the slide floor the part facing the elements (covered by the hard plastic) is soft in a few spots. Any ideas how the water is getting between the hard plastic cover and the wood floor of the slide? Has anyone else had this problem? Any repair ideas?
Twolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolfe View Post
I have a 2013 36FL. After driving through the rain for 4 hours, I noticed some water leaked from the slide while closed onto the living room carpet. After further inspection, the hard plastic shield covering the bottom of the slide floor leaked water from the edge which goes farthest into the RV (leading edge as the slide moves in). There appears to be water between the outside hard plastic and the floor of the slide. Once I pulled the slide out, it appears the slide floor the part facing the elements (covered by the hard plastic) is soft in a few spots. Any ideas how the water is getting between the hard plastic cover and the wood floor of the slide? Has anyone else had this problem? Any repair ideas?
We just found the same problem on our 14 36FL. I am still very frustrated at the moment and most likely will never consider a RW again after this mess.
I believe I found the leaks on both front slides. Appears to be the roof seams were the tape is applied and RW will just say I didn't keep up with my maintenance. Have cleaned well and added new Eterna bond tape on all. I believe this was the leaking point but not 100% yet.
Hard plastic held water. Our slides are open 95% of the time.
Now the frustrating part that I have not ripped into yet is I believe the plywood under the bottom hard plastic is nothing but rot, mush and probably mold. I am hoping I can actually do this repair without taking the slides out. Might be a few months before I get to it.
REDWOOD...…. we love ours and plan to keep it but we are DONE and will NEVER buy another RW.
I will never recommend a RW to anyone again and will only tell them to stay clear and buy something else. All these years of owning RV's I have never had this many issues until RW came into my life.

If I had to pay for this repair and luckily I can do it myself but it probably would be well in the the thousands since any dealer would take the slides out.

Steve
Old 10-27-2019, 10:28 PM   #3

Steve, if it's coming from where you say, the roof is probably soft too. I've replaced both left side slide roofs and retaped the right side. Fortunately I was able to do it myself.
Mark
Old 10-27-2019, 10:32 PM   #4

Just to add, the roof
plywood is thin luan.
Less than 1/4".
Mark
Old 11-02-2019, 04:17 PM   #5

I am having an issue identifying where water is entering on my 36RL on the bedroom slide (cable version). I washed it the other day with the slides closed and when I entered there was a significant puddle on the floor. I just finished repairing the edge of the slide floor due to water damage but now I am concerned I haven't found the source of the problem. I also have never had this issue with other RVs. Very frustrating!
Old 11-02-2019, 10:08 PM   #6

If the slide is fully closed, it is likely coming past bad D seals. Mine leaked past the seal because the slide didn't quite close at the back top.
Mark
Old 11-02-2019, 11:21 PM   #7

What has me a little baffled is the “D” seals appear to close on top of each other on the sides but on the bottom they are offset so it appears tight along the sides but somewhat open along the bottom. When the sides hit it stops and The bottom is not sealed well at all. I haven’t been able to examine the top since I have slide toppers and it is difficult to see what is going on.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #8

on my old "16" 38RL, I had small amounts of water coming in withe the slides open, or closed... it was very confusing..

I found that the horizontal seam on the outside of the slide needed sealant .. from the plastic corner piece to the other, I laid a new bead of clear sealant and never had water again.
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:08 PM   #9

Had issues with water actually entering where the slide cable(s) go thru the seal from the outside, continuing along the cable on the inside then dripping onto the carpet. POOR DESIGN!
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:35 PM   #10

Bedroom slide leak

Had the same issue of water entering along the bottom trim top edge. Was only noticed after the damage was done as the plastic held the water and over time just turned soft.
Replaced floor with Baltic birch painted it with several coats of marine grade black paint. Added the aluminum runners for the roller rather than directly on the wood.
20180729_155727.jpg

20180731_093111.jpg

20180807_201400.jpg
gflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:52 PM   #11

Thx for this info. Were you able to replace the floor without removing the slide completely? If so how did yiu support the slide while replacing the floor? Also do you think it is possible to replace just a section of the floor instead of the whole floor?
Thx
Old 12-01-2019, 04:17 PM   #12

Bedroom slide leak

Had the same issue of water entering along the bottom trim top edge. Was only noticed after the damage was done as the plastic held the water and over time just turned soft.
Replaced floor with Baltic birch painted it with several coats of marine grade black paint. Added the aluminum runners for the roller rather than directly on the wood.
Attachment 3692

Attachment 3693

Attachment 3694
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180729_104548.jpg (101.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 12-01-2019, 04:52 PM   #13

Never removed the slide itself. I supported it on the ends with 2" x 6" removed the short screws along the side and replaced with longer deck screws. Never removed them all just enough to support the slide. Once you remove the bottom trim you'll see screws which secure the floor to the aluminum frame. Once removed the floor could be pulled down and out. Have to ensure all the screws from the inside are removed IE Wall between the laundry area and bedroom.
I don't have the cable for the slide but the schwintek in wall system. I also wedged a 2' x 6' to the underside of the gear track and removed the short screw to hold the track in place and used a longer deck screw to hold 2" x 6" in place.
Hope this is of some help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180729_170843.jpg (106.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 12-01-2019, 05:13 PM   #14

Thanks for the additional info. Very nice work by the way!
Old 12-04-2019, 07:24 PM   #15

Problem is....The lower molding is not installed with any sealant behind it....Its simply screwed on from underneath and a small bead of sealant is put on the top edge to stop water from getting behind it....Everything moves....from changing temps....to bouncing down the road...etc....Seen this damage many times...water ends up on the edge (end grain ) of the floor plywood....import ply...not made with water proof glues like sheathing....a mess in a short time...preventable at the factory floor....unless you get on a ladder and have a look....or repair these like I have...you can miss a gap where the damage starts..

Wes 15/38RL....16 F-450
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote