Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2017, 11:59 PM   #1
Site Team

$#%*! Frigidaire Convection Microwave

Ok, after almost five years of putting up with this hard to operate, understand, and make work POS it is time to have it find a new home.

Anyone have suggestions on what to replace it with ? I know it is a standard size no mounting but the issue in the RL is that the left side where the door is hinged is right up against the pantry. No extra room for a door to swing open unless the hinge is offset like the Frigidaire is.

Cost isn't really an issue since the coach is now home, we just want a unit that WORKS !!! 😂

As usual, thanks in advance !!
Old 09-06-2017, 12:51 AM   #2

Vaughan,

I replaced my POS Microwave with a GE Profile Convection Microwave about a year ago.
If fits the height and width perfect with no modification to the solid surface backsplash under it.
You are right, I have to modify the cabinet on the hinge side, a little work to radius of the square edge of the cabinet for clearance and then stain it.
Everybody that has seen it has not noticed the cabinet modification until I point it out to them showing what had to be done to fit the microwave.
I and not a big fan of GE appliances in general but I love my GE Profile Convection Microwave in my Redwood, it works great.
I have Microwaved a variety of things and baked quite a bit in it, it bakes great. Much better than using the gas oven to bake.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:34 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I am on my second Frigidaire. First one never worked and this new one will work to cook other than microwave when it feels like. We had the 1st replaced at the rally in 16 and will hoprfully have this one changed in 18. Dont cook or bake in it alot but have to deal with a full fury when it don work
Old 09-06-2017, 02:22 AM   #4

We replaced ours with a Furrion. Got a great deal on it from a dealer when someone didn't pick up a special order. Fits in same place without modifications. No issues with the door swing
Old 09-06-2017, 02:23 AM   #5

Oh, I forgot, it is also 1200 watt.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
I am on my second Frigidaire. First one never worked and this new one will work to cook other than microwave when it feels like. We had the 1st replaced at the rally in 16 and will hoprfully have this one changed in 18. Dont cook or bake in it alot but have to deal with a full fury when it don work
Just about the exact same for us. The wife thinks they just cleaned up the first one when we were at the service center after the rally in 16 and told us they installed a new one.

Maybe they just traded them between us as the second one does not work well.

Rick
Old 09-06-2017, 11:10 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXRAS View Post
Just about the exact same for us. The wife thinks they just cleaned up the first one when we were at the service center after the rally in 16 and told us they installed a new one.

Maybe they just traded them between us as the second one does not work well.

Rick
Maybe you have my old one. I watched then unpack this
One so I no it was new. Was not happy to see the same brand go in. It did work for about a month like it should.
Now is hot and miss. I thought about asking if it was operator error but quickly threw that idea out as I was hungry
Old 09-07-2017, 01:39 AM   #8

We had our changed out at the '16 Rally. The replacement acted up right after we left the Rally and has acted up since. We never had problems with the Microwave side, only when Convection Cooking, would preheat up to temp then shut off any heating and would just slowly cool.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:09 PM   #9

Microwave side works fine in ours also, its the convection that is flaky. Seems to be common with these. Will look for a replacement one of these days.

Rick
Old 09-07-2017, 09:40 PM   #10

Our original was replaced just before the 2013 rally (that sounds like long time ago) & so far has worked as good, as far we know, nothing to compare it to. There is however a very steep learning curve that as from what I taste the DW has finally got figured out.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXRAS View Post
Microwave side works fine in ours also, its the convection that is flaky. Seems to be common with these. Will look for a replacement one of these days.

Rick
The day has come. It died this evening. Ran the preheat cycle, when it beeped, wife opened the door to put in the food and it died. No lights, nothing. Outlet still had power so it was not a GFCI issue.

Time to research and find what we want.

Rick
Old 12-29-2019, 03:08 AM   #12

I can't stand it any more, I MUST have a new oven. I have the F$#@#$$daire. It took four hours to bake some 10 minute cookies. Did you end up getting a new oven? If so, what did you get? Did you learn anything? I am overwhelmed trying to figure this out. Thinking of going with the SPEEDCOOK Advantium, but not sure. Thanks!

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:15 PM   #13
Site Team

Have not changed it yet, ran into some other expenses. When I do, it will be either Whirlpool or GE Cafe based on other’s reviews and happiness. Either is a replacement in an RL with the Whirlpool a bit easier and less expensive.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:07 PM   #14

We were tired of the Frigidaire convection performance so wifey wanted to buy a Breville Air Fry convection. Sure works a lot better than the Frigidaire.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:44 AM   #15

I have never cooked cookies but we use our convection oven for French fries all the time ,(cold start) 18-20 mins on 375 and they are crispy and cooked (direct from the freezer). Maybe we are lucky ours works??? Best of luck
Old 12-30-2019, 12:48 AM   #16

Ours is still plugging along. Microwave section works fine with no issues, while the Convection side is a different story.
Seems to work fine at nothing over 400 degress, if you need to cook something at 425, keep your fingers crossed. May work or it may heat up to just about the desired temp them stop heating and slowly return to ambient.
Almost like there's a High Temp sensor that says it too hot and shuts it down.
Just have to remember to use 400 max and just cook a little longer if need be.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:46 PM   #17

Our frigidaire convection/microwave finally got pitched. The microwave kept working but for no reason the convection would come on by itself. I know this was a problem with some and there was a recall, but our serial number was not in the recall. After that experience and worrying about the convection coming on and burning down the rv while away, I decided I did not want to chance another convection/ microwave so we replaced with an LG microwave. By the way, this just happened after 6 years so if you have a frigidaire, be aware.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:18 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
Our frigidaire convection/microwave finally got pitched. The microwave kept working but for no reason the convection would come on by itself. I know this was a problem with some and there was a recall, but our serial number was not in the recall. After that experience and worrying about the convection coming on and burning down the rv while away, I decided I did not want to chance another convection/ microwave so we replaced with an LG microwave. By the way, this just happened after 6 years so if you have a frigidaire, be aware.

Thanks for posting about this issue. I remember this issue being discussed back in the period from 2012 to 2014 or so. I had checked mine and the serial number was outside of the problem issue range. So, I have just always kept ours unplugged when we are away from the coach.

I guess now that the Frigidaire is 8 years old, I will have to consider replacing it.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 09:48 PM   #19

Which furrion model fit? Most of the dimensions are too large for our space?
Lynn Yeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 10:10 PM   #20

I did not replace with Furion. I replaced with LG microwave. Decided it wasnt worth worrying about another convection problem. Take measurements with you when shopping. I lucked out and was able to keep the original wall bracket to mount the new microwave. I did have to drill new holes in the upper cabinet for the top bolts.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote