Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #1

Fresh water tank

This morning when I checked the panel it showed a quarter of a tank of water in the freshwater tank. I've never used the freshwater tank how could water have gotten in there. I open the drain outside and it's been draining for the last 10 minutes.
This seems very strange

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #2

Possible that one or more check valves in your water lines or water pump have gotten stuck or clogged. Suggestion to turn off incoming water from spigot and to run water pump for a while. It has been known to correct this problem. Might work for you also. Release pressure from inside faucets then run off the pump for a while.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
Site Team

What Chris said. The pump needs to be used every once I a while so the check valve in the font of it doesn't get stuck. If running water through it doesn't cure the problem, you're probably going to need to rep,ace the pump.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:31 PM   #4

Thanks I'll have to check later my wife is making me go to the garlic festival right now.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
What Chris said. The pump needs to be used every once I a while so the check valve in the font of it doesn't get stuck. If running water through it doesn't cure the problem, you're probably going to need to rep,ace the pump.
I'm having the same problem. One week I noticed water coming out of my over flow hose from the fresh water tank. I opened the drain and it took a good 45 minutes for it to drain empty. So it must have been full. I have tried the pump trick a few times and still getting water in the tank. My question-- is the check valve in the pump or is it separate?? I've looked all over and can't find the valve...
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:40 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Mine was in the pump. It did the same thing after about 6 mths of fulltime hooked to city water, ran the pump and cured it. 2yrs later at the rally this year it started again. Redwood diagnosed and replaced the pump. We are on city water all the time unless travelling. It is a good idea to run the pump now and then to keep things lubed.[which I haven't done]
Old 10-02-2016, 02:19 AM   #7

The check valve is built into the water pump itself. But our unit has 2 more check valves on the plumbing near the water pump and behind the convience center.

Chris
Old 10-02-2016, 02:53 AM   #8

I'm putting an inline check valve in tomorrow morning. I don't want to deal with this again.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:26 AM   #9

Think I will install one also. I'm betting more than once without realizing it we towed with at least a half full fresh water tank. And don't need that much extra weight. Thanks for the info.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
Old 10-02-2016, 08:47 PM   #10

I got up this morning and only had a shut off valve handy. I put it in line forward of the pump and it appears to solve the problem temporarily. I ordered a new pump and a check valve to be installed next week.
Ok so here's an observation note I didn't try it, but it looked like if I just turn the winterize valve it would have stopped the problem also until parts could be ordered.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:16 PM   #11

That's absolutely true, as it happened to us in AZ last winter. Haven't seen the need yet to replace the pump, but maybe according to Shane and others, just exercising the pump may free up the "stuck" check valve. We'll see..

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #12

question on freshwater tank..

still learning...question for you redwood guru's...blue water line just under the fill station ran water for a long time after I filled water tank....is this normal...previous travel trailer would run then stop..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redwood 5th wheel 002.jpg (330.3 KB, 11 views)
katy4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:49 PM   #13

Unfortunately for Redwoods it's normal. Been that way for years!! It gets tied in to the overflow at the top of the fresh water tank. Most have added a 1/2" pex shut off valve there to keep the water from draining out. Also some have rerouted the flex hose vent from thru the underbelly and attached to the screened vented location by the gravity fill location. The blue hose will and can drain or siphon off almost a 1/3 of your tank. By adding the valve you can prevent this. On certain models the rerouting of the flex vent hose can get your stuff in the basement wet depending how well sealed your convenience center is.

Chris
Old 10-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #14

Exercising the pump didn't seem to work.. last night the dilemma was if I used city water the tank would fill up pretty fast, leaving the drain opened would have muddied my campsite for a week. I shut the city water closed the drain and filled the tank. We used it for a couple of showers, washed dishes flushed the toilet and in the morning it still back fed..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2016, 10:20 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Steve
Sounds like you need a new pump. Make sure to get a higher output one than what is in it. They do not cost a lot more and will give you better water pressure
Old 10-02-2016, 10:21 PM   #16

Thank you very much......as I said I am learning about this thru trial and error as no manuals came with it.....
katy4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:27 PM   #17

Steve, Found the part number for the shurflo 4008 water pump. It's 94-800-03 Amazon and others have it available.

https://www.rvsupplyparts.com/catalo...-03-12544.html

If you are handy and have the time it might be worth messing with.

CHris
Old 10-02-2016, 10:43 PM   #18

I had the basement wall down this morning everything looks accessible and I'm pretty handy. I ordered a new pump then I'll get the repair kit and rebuild it. Next week when I take the wall down again to do the repairs I'm moving the water filter outside the wall. That access hole is for little people with little hands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2016, 10:47 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Steve
Sounds like you need a new pump. Make sure to get a higher output one than what is in it. They do not cost a lot more and will give you better water pressure

If I was replace the pump I'd replace the stock pump with a better one. The pump isn't hard to get out of there. You could try banging it against something to free the valve or try pouring some Lime Away into the inlet.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy4man View Post
still learning...question for you redwood guru's...blue water line just under the fill station ran water for a long time after I filled water tank....is this normal...previous travel trailer would run then stop..
Just an FYI
There should be 4 fresh water hoses poking through the under belly. The red and blue ones that have the valves, and are side by side are your low point drains for the hot and cold water lines.
Then there should be an other blue with a valve and either a white or blue near each other. The one with the valve is the drain for the fresh water tank. The other with NO valve is the over flow for the fresh water tank. Why I wanted to be sure you were aware of these hoses is my over flow was not pulled/poked through the black floor panel. I had to find it and fish it through my self.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne