Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2016, 02:43 AM   #21

yes I understand that I had water running out from under the unit itself...nearly went into panic mode.......now have it out with a shut off valve on it
katy4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy4man View Post
yes I understand that I had water running out from under the unit itself...nearly went into panic mode.......now have it out with a shut off valve on it

Your sure it's just the water tank fill by passing and overflowing through the vent line? Keep an eye on the amount of water in the tank and not a bypass like mine. You don't want to see the tank filling by itself and now a valve stopping it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2016, 03:39 AM   #23

As Foxfire said..I nope you did not add a shut off valve to the overflow hose. You could get into big problems of hoses blowing connections or worse cracking your fresh water tank...
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:28 PM   #24

Just put a valve on the blue line sticking out from the belly...the other vent line is open to the atmosphere...
Old 10-18-2016, 01:19 AM   #25

The vent and overflow are not the same? My freshwater started to siphon/drain the tank today for the first time. Almost completely drained the tank. Could this problem somehow be linked to the check valve in the water pump?
Pete385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete385 View Post
The vent and overflow are not the same? My freshwater started to siphon/drain the tank today for the first time. Almost completely drained the tank. Could this problem somehow be linked to the check valve in the water pump?
It won't have anything to do with the check valve.

The overflow is there to help prevent bursting the tank when overfilled. The vent is there to eliminate suction while in use. I had a valve on my over flow to help stop the the loss of water when filling the tank up and going down the road. Just make sure you open the valve before you start filling the tank and close it when necessary.

On one occasion I saw in my mirror water coming from under the trailer while going down the highway. I guess the water had sloshed around enough that the siphon had started. This was a problem for me because I traveled a lot with a full water tank.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #27

It appears that there are only two lines from my freshwater tank, both blue, one with valve and one without. The non valved line is the one that overflows when filling. This time it kept running for 400 miles till tank emptied. If it were true siphon the line would be submerged or siphon would break. Yesterday I filled the tank 3/4 and no overflow/siphon. Another RW mystery?
Old 10-19-2016, 06:13 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete385 View Post
It appears that there are only two lines from my freshwater tank, both blue, one with valve and one without. The non valved line is the one that overflows when filling. This time it kept running for 400 miles till tank emptied. If it were true siphon the line would be submerged or siphon would break. Yesterday I filled the tank 3/4 and no overflow/siphon. Another RW mystery?
The one that currently has a valve on it is the factory drain. The other is the overflow line. The vent line goes up to the fill station.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:48 PM   #29

Our 2012 31sl has a gravity fill with a vent right next to it.....Don't see how it would be possible to burst water tank by using the gravity flow inlet....
Old 10-20-2016, 01:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy4man View Post
Our 2012 31sl has a gravity fill with a vent right next to it.....Don't see how it would be possible to burst water tank by using the gravity flow inlet....
Unless you've hooked it up or you have the odd one that RW hooked up, I'd bet you a cup of coffee the screened vent next to the gravity fill is not hooked up, but is ran down through the coroplast underneath with no valve attached.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:58 AM   #31

I still don't understand the siphon action. I put in 75 gal to a 104 gal tank. No overflow no siphon. Happened one time (so far) in one year but drained tank
Old 10-20-2016, 02:24 AM   #32

I owe you a cup...........the line coming out of the top of the tank next to the 1 1/2inch gravity fill turns and goes down thru the floor and is between the red and blue lines with valves that drain those 2...my motorhome had a direct fill from city water line and you had to be careful when filling or you could damage the holding tank...but I see no reason the gravity fill will damage tank as the blue line under the belly will run water when it is full......just keeps running water though.... plus the screened vent has no hose attached.....
Old 10-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #33

My freshwater tank is over the axles (39mb) so I can't see the top for plumbing. I don't see anything that looks like a vent near the fill. How far do I have to drive for the coffee?
Old 10-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #34

There's a small screen, about 1/2" diameter, next to the gravity fill port, that's where the tank vent is usually attached, but on these RWs they choose to run down through & out the bottom, I'm guessing so when it overfilled it didnt5fill up the convenience center. I'm not sure about your MB, but wherever your gravity port is that's where that screen will be & the overfill should run below that near by underneath.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-21-2016, 02:02 AM   #35

Just an FYI, the 39MB doesn't have a gravity fill port. As stated, the freshwater tank is behind the axles.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:42 AM   #36

How/where do you fill the fresh water tank?
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-21-2016, 11:23 AM   #37

Behind door #2. There is a pace for a hose connection, freshtank, city water, black tank rinse (2), all the dump valves(4) and rinse down hose.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:57 PM   #38

Yep, power fill only on the MB. Don't really like that fact, but we love our floor plan, which was more important.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:07 PM   #39

I like the fact the tank is over the axles, but you have to use the pump to fill? Win some, lose some!
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #40

Changed the pump this morning hopefully that will stop backfilling the tank. On another note I opened the tank valve took off for a 250 mile tow. No water was coming out but the gauge read 1/3 full. The new pump was pumping water from the tank. Blew air into the tank from the drain valve and water started draining again. Something must be in the tank stopping the water from draining. This could have been a problem if I believed the tank gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk