Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #1

We are camping with Tucson's Sunny Sams and I filled my fresh water tank for a continuation of our trip to Quartzite, AZ. I read where siphoning is a problem with Redwood and the factory has a fix. I discussed this with Lazy Days when taking delivery andthey called the factory and were told my rig was modified. Guess what? When I got to the campground my fresh tank read 1/3 full. I know it reads this once the level has dropped from 2/3 rds, but I really don't know how much water I have. I called Lazy Days this AM and they can get me in to install the modification. This just should not happen when you are told your rig was modified. Maybe Quartzite will happen next year.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandon13399
We are camping with Tucson's Sunny Sams and I filled my fresh water tank for a continuation of our trip to Quartzite, AZ. I read where siphoning is a problem with Redwood and the factory has a fix. I discussed this with Lazy Days when taking delivery andthey called the factory and were told my rig was modified. Guess what? When I got to the campground my fresh tank read 1/3 full. I know it reads this once the level has dropped from 2/3 rds, but I really don't know how much water I have. I called Lazy Days this AM and they can get me in to install the modification. This just should not happen when you are told your rig was modified. Maybe Quartzite will happen next year.
Go to the lumber suply store and tell them you want a "shark-bite" type of cap for 1/2 pex pipe. It pushes on and caps that line. If you want to do it a different way you can buy a crimping tool and put a shut off on that line as well. I was told that there were 3 different vents for that tank so you can close that one off if you don't use a 1 inch hose to fill the tank.

I usually carry pex tools with me in case I have some sort of problem on the road. It VERY easy to use but will costs about $100 for the cutter and crimp tools. Again....this is the easiest set of tools to use for plumbing I've ever seen.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #3

Dave,

Thank you for the information on shutting off the drain. Lazy Days is going to install a "shepard's crook"to prevent this from happening. This is what the factory should have done from the start. I was smaert enough to address this at delivery, but dump endough not to check it before I needed it. Live and learn. I do like the idea of having pex tools on board just incase of trouble. You are definitely a source of knowledge for all forum readers.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #4

I guess I sould proof read before sending....smart vs smaert and enough vs endough.....
Old 01-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Dave,

Thank you for the information on shutting off the drain. Lazy Days is going to install a "shepard's crook"to prevent this from happening. This is what the factory should have done from the start. I was smaert enough to address this at delivery, but dump endough not to check it before I needed it. Live and learn. I do like the idea of having pex tools on board just incase of trouble. You are definitely a source of knowledge for all forum readers.
Thanks Jack...I just want to help others just like I've been helped....we're all campers
Old 01-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #6

This forum has been a source of information for me. These are complex units that experience about a 7.0 magnitude earthquake going down the road. I really appreciate the involvement of all members especially the "old timers" who have been around a while and offer encouragement and solutions. Thanks to all!!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Quote:
Go to the lumber suply store and tell them you want a "shark-bite" type of cap for 1/2 pex pipe. It pushes on and caps that line. If you want to do it a different way you can buy a crimping tool and put a shut off on that line as well. I was told that there were 3 different vents for that tank so you can close that one off if you don't use a 1 inch hose to fill the tank.

I usually carry pex tools with me in case I have some sort of problem on the road. It VERY easy to use but will costs about $100 for the cutter and crimp tools. Again....this is the easiest set of tools to use for plumbing I've ever seen.

If anybody wants to see how easy PEX pipe is to work with, you can go to youtube and watch a video on it
Old 01-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #8

Lazy Days called Redwood (Brian) and got the "factory fix". I really liked the idea Dave had, but wanted to avoid any Warranty issues in the future so I elected to go with Redwodds fix. They ran a new pex pipe above the fresh water tank so siphoning would not occur. Lazy Days had to drop the bottom of the RV to get access to the tank etc. Time will tell.....
Old 01-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
Site Team

The factory fixed mine already but I haven't tried it yet so I'm putting a shut off on mine just to be safe. I was camping last fall and had to run to the hardware store for the cap before I got the pex tools

Old 01-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #10

The factory fixed mine and we have had no problems since then.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #11

Maybe we better all plan a trip to Indiana before our warranties are up so the factory can do the fixes.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #12

I was thinking the same. Would like to know if there is a Redwood ralley scheduled for this year???
Old 01-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #13

We will be at the facotry May 23rd.