Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2020, 12:21 PM   #1

Faded/discolored decals

The decals on our 2012 36RL look like a disaster. They are dull and discolored. Actually, the whole fiver looks like the previous owner used the Zep floor stuff on it, and it is a mess. It looked like that when we bought it two years ago, and I really hadn't had time to clean it up correctly until I got serious with it yesterday. I have researched the 'net on trying to get decals to look decent again. I tried something different than anything I have read. It's something that I remembered from when I was young. I remember an old man used to polish up watch crystals, and remember what he used. Brasso! I tried a small section of one, figuring I didn't have much to lose. It looked great! I did a tan decal, and it looked almost new. The same thing on the black and multi-colored ones. It's a bit like using paste wax labor wise, but no more labor intensive than anything I saw online.
I also tried a section of gelcoat that I had dulled a good bit trying to get rid of whatever the previous owner had put on. It polished it up to a nice shine too. Now I just need to figure out how to clean up the rest of the gel coat, because I'm not going through all that on the whole thing. Thinking of trying Maguires oxidation remover, then put a decent coat of wax on it.
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #2

Well, update.... Just tried to clean up some of the curbside decals before the sun hits 'em. Those are worse than the other side. Didn't help a whole lot. They are really dry and some are cracking. They look a bit better, but definitely not new looking like the other side.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:59 PM   #3

One of my good friends has a design / graphics shop close to where we live....I got some decals mad up for the Transom on our boat....and replaced a few faded ones on our truck camper...He showed me the "industry Standard " decal material(the stuff used on the factory floor) then he showed me a much better sample of decal material...Quite a difference....More $$....but thicker...more UV protection...etc...etc...Not something the "bean counters" at RW would opt for on their units because of the additional cost..The colour does not go thru on a decal...mostly surface...once they get dry / faded/ cracked...their done....before they get that far in damage....there is some protectors that are noted to help preserve...graphics shop may be able to help there.
2015 38RL, Full Body Paint, Slide in Slide, full Laundry, RV Fridge, 5.5 Onan, Magnum Inverter Charger, Samlex Solar, Trav'ler Sat System. Heated Tanks, R.O. Filtration, Sailun Tires**2016 F-450, Reese 25K Elite
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:23 PM   #4

Yep, I agree, you usually get what you pay for.