Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2021, 04:50 PM   #1

Dump valve issues

We have a 2018 3901MB, 2 black and 2 grey tanks. The grey 2 which is the kitchen sink and dishwasher tank and the black 2 which is the downstairs bathroom tank have always been more difficult to maneuver than the other two valves. We have flushed and flushed, used every chemical/organic treatment suggested, lubrication, and had it into the repair facility several times as the black has developed a valve seal leak...WELL on the most recent trip to the repair shop the repair tech said, "the lines are so long and everything is just thrown in the same access hole that the difficulty is common"... About as helpful as we have ever gotten, so many excuses and not many solutions....He said he "pulled on the lines to help" and now the black tank will not close at all and the lever sticks out completely....They tell me the replacement parts are difficult for this model due to the length of the cords. I am really considering electric valves, but I don't know if that is going to bring up more issues currently than I already have. I am wondering if anyone knows exactly what replacement valves/cord length I need because they are very tight lipped about it and it makes me wonder if they actually know at my purchasing dealership... OR has anyone transitioned to electric valves in this particular model.
Burmeister76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:29 PM   #2

As to buying replacement cables the last time I did they were generic 6' length that could be cut to length if necessary.
In my opinion that's the issue with your current cables, they are too long running up over around in a figure 8 & back creating a bind trying to pull the valve open at a 90 degree angle as opposed to straight out.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 12:32 PM   #3

Thank you I appreciate your response. I have checked with www.trekwood.com, the place Redwood told me to go for replacement parts and found them available. I am extremely disappointed with my repair place as they have repeatedly told me they are unavailable. It furthers my thought that they just don't want to tackle the job of replacing what they broke!! How much of a tangled mess is it down there?
Old 05-25-2021, 04:37 PM   #4

We live in an older model, but I was concerned about an inconvenient failure of the manual cable valves for years. Finally switched to three electric valves a year ago with no problems...I’m glad we made the switch.
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 04:42 PM   #5

I have been looking into that, but wanted to actually get eyes on my underbelly area to see if there is room to put the electronic ones in as my research has indicated the valve motors need to be placed at least above 9 and 3 orientation. I don't want to make the investment to get the parts without seeing the clearance first. But if there is room then it is exactly what I am going to do. Thank you for the advice.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burmeister76 View Post
Thank you I appreciate your response. I have checked with www.trekwood.com, the place Redwood told me to go for replacement parts and found them available. I am extremely disappointed with my repair place as they have repeatedly told me they are unavailable. It furthers my thought that they just don't want to tackle the job of replacing what they broke!! How much of a tangled mess is it down there?
The biggest issue with ordering anything from Trekwood was their absolutely ridiculous shipping cost.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
The biggest issue with ordering anything from Trekwood was their absolutely ridiculous shipping cost.
I have had pretty good results with cross referencing from Trekwood to another online vendor...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #8

I am lucky enough to be only 40 min from there right now, so I went down and got them....But yes their shipping cost is atrocious.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:28 AM   #9

I have 2018 3901WB and replaced all valves with Valterra valves and cables and they work great. The problem is the routing of the cable without attaching them properly and avoiding tight bends. I simply drilled new cable holes as needed to route them properly. Drain tanks completely before starting and use the level up to slant the trailer to keep stuff remaining in the front of the black tanks. I found that the valves in my trailer were installed improperly causing the rubber seals to bind and leak making them hard to operate. After I was done I couldn't believe how easy they operate and have since. Unfasten and bend the color-plast as needed for access. If you have to cut access holes keep them square and three sided with the remaining attached side toward the front of the trailer. Then use 1x3 pine boards to secure the color-plast in place with 1/2 screws by mounting the boards above each gap to to close them off and allow for reuse for other repairs. Not that tough once you get into it. The hardest part is putting the new valve seals in right so they seal. Once you get them in right the valve will open and close easily by hand before the cable is installed. Good Luck!