Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #1

For those that have Disk brakes, what controller are you using? My 2006 Ford controller is supposed to be compatible with the Carlisle HydraStar actuator, but 2007 is not.

Given the Dealer has not been able to get this to work, I may have to surrender the trusty Ford controller for a ??? HydraStar is tailored around Prodigy 2, but wondering about Prodigy 3?

Redwood is sending a new HydraStar to the Dealer, but if that doesn't work still, I'm looking for plan B.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #2

Carlisle makes an interface adapter that goes inline before the HydraStar pump. It fakes the controller into thinking it's controlling std electric brakes. That adapter was originally std with the disc brake option, maybe they've changed or someone forgot to install it. GM controllers will not work with electric/hydraulic disc without the adapter. When I had the Disc installed on our Montana, Mor/ryde installed the adapter so it would work with our GM and our RW came with it already installed in the Battery compartment on the wall above the HydraStar. TV is happy, RW is happy, and we're happy. I swear I can stop the whole setup quicker than the TV running solo.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #3

It does have that, as Redwood has already sent a replacement for that module. Carlisle is convinced that is all that is required, but they still show some gaps in the compatibility chart.

Maybe everything will work fine when we get there.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #4

Brad, I had no brakes on my disk equipped Redwood w/GMC integrated controller. I went through the whole "replace the Carlyle HBA-CAM module" but still nothing.

It turned out everything else was working fine, but my disk brake pump was defective. I replaced that and now everything is great. Just something to keep in mind.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #5

Does anyone have the Hensley controller?
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
Brad, I had no brakes on my disk equipped Redwood w/GMC integrated controller. I went through the whole "replace the Carlyle HBA-CAM module" but still nothing.

It turned out everything else was working fine, but my disk brake pump was defective. I replaced that and now everything is great. Just something to keep in mind.
That is great news to hear. The pump is what is on the way from Redwood.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #7

You can tell is the pump is defective because the "buzzing sound" the pump makes doesn't change it's pitch when you apply the brakes. It's supposed to drop its pitch as it attempts to build pressure. I changed it myself because time was short& Brian overnighted all the parts for me. It's a fairly big job to change the pump in the battery compartment, then bleed the pump and all the calipers. Hopefully you are having a dealer do this.

Also, while under there I discovered that one of the flexible brake hoses had been rubbed almost through by the tire. Have them inspect for this.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #8

We still haven't even taken delivery so the Dealer is doing it. However, they are not real familiar with the disk brake system. Can the pump be bench bled before installing and then bleed the calipers, or does it all have to be done at once?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

I have an 08 F250 and it has the factory Ford controller but I also have std brakes and no problems'
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:07 AM   #10

We have recently traded our 2011 Silverado for a 2015 with all the toys. Unfortunately, it seems the Redwood's (disc) brakes are not engaging with this new truck. It should be noted the 2011 TV and RW got along just fine with no changes to the truck or the Redwood. Does anyone know any magic how to get these two to play together? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
JellyStonePark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:57 AM   #11
Site Team

Not sure on the Chevy but on the Ford you have to go into the Truck Apps in the computer and change the controller setting from Electric to Electric/Hydraulic. I'm presuming the Chevy has something similar and I'm also presuming you've already set that......

If you have, I would be on the phone to the disk brake controller manufacturer to see about compatibility and if there is a module or something that can be changed.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:37 AM   #12

Take the truck back to the dealer and make sure all electronic updates have been done. Many times this will fix it.

Have the dealer check the 7 way to make sure you are getting power to the rear of the truck.

Make sure the pump is coming on. With the truck hooked up, pull the breakaway pin. You should hear the pump come on. After a few seconds the pump should sound like it is lugging down. If this occurs, the pump is ok.

If all this is ok then there is a compatibility issue. I really don't think that's it but anything is possible. Call Carlisle and see if they have a fix.

I really haven't seen any compatibility issues on any of the 2015 trucks.

The one issue I have seen is the new trucks send 1.25v pulses to the 7 way checking for a trailer connection. Problem sometimes occurs with Carlisle & Dexter pumps that are activated at 1.2v meaning the pump comes on frequently, heating it up and burning up the circuit board.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #13

One of our camping acquaintances had an issue with the rv brake controller on their new duramax truck...

It just wasn't talking to their new winnebago 5th wheel and the finger pointing between chevy and winny was epic...

Jack, as an ex-marine, was going to go off on someone, as soon as he figured out who to go off on

Sorry, don't recall what the final outcome was... but Titan Guy knows of what he speaks !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #14
TnB

There are two modules for the disc brake controller. The controller itself and the integration module. The integration module is for older TV that do not have built in electronics for hydraulic brakes on the trailer.

If you can specify on your TV menu that you have hydraulic brakes you may not need this second controller. The TV will talk intelligently to the main controller in the trailer.

If your old TV worked correctly and did not have the menu choice between electric or hydraulic brakes, the unit was set up for electric brakes.

Since your unit worked with electric brake setting, just select the menu selection for electric brakes rather than hydraulic. The TV should work the same.

Check with the disc brake controller manufacturer on how to rewire the controller to eliminate the second module and go directly to your TV. You can then select the hydraulic brakes option in your TV menu selection.

Please check with a professional installer to verify that my statements are correct, since I haven't got my RW from the factory yet.
2015 RW 36FB w/GY 114 "H" tires, disc brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide, Furrion wireless backup camera
TnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:53 PM   #15

Just a quick follow up on the brake controler issues with our 2015 Chevy Silverado and the 2014 RW 38FL. Seems with Chevy's redesign of the Silverado's interior the Brake Controller was changed as well. Causing the Chevy and the Redwood to speak different languages. Not A Problem, our dealer had to order a new interface module from Carlisle. Installed it and brakes are back. Cost wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be so all worked out for the best.
JellyStonePark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:39 PM   #16

Good info to know!
Old 12-29-2014, 12:15 AM   #17

Great news.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyStonePark View Post
Just a quick follow up on the brake controler issues with our 2015 Chevy Silverado and the 2014 RW 38FL. Seems with Chevy's redesign of the Silverado's interior the Brake Controller was changed as well. Causing the Chevy and the Redwood to speak different languages. Not A Problem, our dealer had to order a new interface module from Carlisle. Installed it and brakes are back. Cost wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be so all worked out for the best.

So I can tell my buddy...

Since you said Carlise,
Am I correct to guess they changed something on the rv ? and it was your rv dealer, not chevy ?

If you have a part number he would appreciate it, I'm sure...

Thanks !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote