Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
Site Team

Planning on actually putting the top box from my cabiney into the compartment next to the door on our 36RL. It doesn't have a gas strut to hold it open.

Have any of you added one, and if so, what was the part number of the one you used and did you put any reinforcement on the door or frame ?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Site Team

First sentence should have been top box from my tool cabinet. Old fingers don't type well ...........
Old 07-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperguy
Planning on actually putting the top box from my cabiney into the compartment next to the door on our 36RL. It doesn't have a gas strut to hold it open.

Have any of you added one, and if so, what was the part number of the one you used and did you put any reinforcement on the door or frame ?

On my 2012 36RL, there is a spring loaded clip just above the door that you can use to hold the door open. Does your unit not have the clip?

Edited by: hoosierguy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #4

Depending on model of RW a strut could be dangerous on that door, since it would leave the door out at a slight angle and opening the entrance door too far would hit the corner of the tool box door and doesn't make for a pretty picture. If your "Dad's Tool Box" isn't anywhere near the entrance door ignore everything I said.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:27 AM   #5

Michelle &amp; Ann are correct. If the tool box door is sticking out you will have a problem. I have cut a piece of a childs noodle and placed it on the top corner of the open door just in case the entry door flies open. We use our tool box as a mini entertainment center with tv, blue ray and radio.</span>
Old 07-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #6

Speaking of the door flying open... anyone found a way to put a spring or gas strut to limit the field of motion of the entry door? We've had some close calls on our RL. If the door is limited, it should be easy enough to add the struts to the tool box/entertainment center.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Site Team

Hoosierguy, no, my 2013 RL doesn't have the clip. Sounds like exactly what I need. And Michelle ~ thankyou. I hadn't thought about what would happen if that door was open and the entry went over that way .......

Any chance of getting a picture of that clip set-up so I can forward to Redwood and ask for one ?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa
Speaking of the door flying open... anyone found a way to put a spring or gas strut to limit the field of motion of the entry door? We've had some close calls on our RL. If the door is limited, it should be easy enough to add the struts to the tool box/entertainment center.
I put a cream colored rubber stop on the side of my trailer that I bought at Ace Hardware for $2. It sticks on with 3M tape and it's been on there since April 2012 without any problems at all. There's been many times where the wind has caught the door and whipped it hard against the side of the trailer without damage. I lined up the stop with the door handle...problem solved
Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #9

I did same rubber style stop on my 36RE. Works great.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&amp;Ginny
Quote:
I put a cream colored rubber stop on the side of my trailer that I bought at Ace Hardware for $2. It sticks on with 3M tape and it's been on there since April 2012 without any problems at all. There's been many times where the wind has caught the door and whipped it hard against the side of the trailer without damage. I lined up the stop with the door handle...problem solved

Good plan, however, if the tool box door is held open withthe addedgas struts, there needs to be more clearance between the entry door and the side of the trailer. The entry door needs a stop that would allow for that strut supported open 'tool box' door. Has anyone found a way to limit the entry doors motion to 55-65 degrees? Is therea device out there that can do that?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperguy

Vaughan,

I just took some pictures of the clip, door closed and door open held by the clip. Send me a PM with your email and I will send the pictures to you.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #12

Quote:
One or two of the Redwood models already have a door swing strut that keeps the entry door from hitting the slide, so there is something out there. Bad news is I think all that have them have complained of the bracket ripping out from the door.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #13

I know this won't help those who already have a rig but I just picked up my new 2014 Redwood and the door has a special hinge on it that stops it wherever you open it to. They claim that the wind will not move it which so far has proven to be true.
Collindo
collindo is offline   Reply With Quote