Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #1

Cracked Fender

Just had my fender skirt replaced under warranty at the Dealer. The original had a tiny sliver of champagne color on it, and I told the Dealer not to worry about that if it meant a delay, as he told me the fender was shipped already black from Redwood.

What he didn't say is it was a black plastic fender skirt, non-painted. The factory originals were white fenders painted black with the rest of the coach. The black has a luster about identical to the pods at the top of the awning arms. It is noteworthy that the black plastic fender is a lot more pliable than the last one, which was brittle (which may be why it cracked). Maybe Redwood changed brands.

A little torn- as I was expecting metallic fleck black paint on the skirt, but to be quite honest it is hardly noticeable.

Did I get robbed?? Had I of known they weren't going to paint it I would have put it on myself and avoided two weeks in the shop.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:23 AM   #2

Sounds as though the new skirt doesn't have the luster, I.e. the class, that the original had. If so, I'd be concerned. On the other hand, if you're cool with it, that's all that matters.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:03 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Just had my fender skirt replaced under warranty at the Dealer. The original had a tiny sliver of champagne color on it, and I told the Dealer not to worry about that if it meant a delay, as he told me the fender was shipped already black from Redwood.

What he didn't say is it was a black plastic fender skirt, non-painted. The factory originals were white fenders painted black with the rest of the coach. The black has a luster about identical to the pods at the top of the awning arms. It is noteworthy that the black plastic fender is a lot more pliable than the last one, which was brittle (which may be why it cracked). Maybe Redwood changed brands.

A little torn- as I was expecting metallic fleck black paint on the skirt, but to be quite honest it is hardly noticeable.

Did I get robbed?? Had I of known they weren't going to paint it I would have put it on myself and avoided two weeks in the shop.

When I picked up the trailer from the service center the first week of March it had 2 new fenders on it. They are painted black and although there should have been a sliver of paint on them, I wasn't worried. I wish they made them out of aluminum so they would last.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #4

Quote:

If they are not painted just black plastic over time they will show any and all little scratches and become dull, you will have no way to repair this unless you have them painted yourself. There is no way I would accept this. They can paint pretty much any surface with additives to allow the paint to flex.

Thanks for the heads up as I'm getting one of my fenders replaced so I will look closely at what they put on.
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #5

Bugging me so I called the Dealer. I think the Dealer was under the impression that the way it was shipped by Redwood was how it needs to be. I need to send some pictures so they can talk to Redwood again.

Ultimately I want it painted, but I don't want to surrender the rig until October, not even the fender. Lots of vacation scheduled.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Bugging me so I called the Dealer. I think the Dealer was under the impression that the way it was shipped by Redwood was how it needs to be. I need to send some pictures so they can talk to Redwood again.

Ultimately I want it painted, but I don't want to surrender the rig until October, not even the fender. Lots of vacation scheduled.
Just picked my trailer up. New fender on, no paint, I said isn't that supposed to be painted black metallic to match? He called redwood, their reply is " we ship them black and the dealer must paint them to match", they were having to much paint damage in shipping. At least that is what I was told by my dealer. It will get painted on the trip in. They have some other paint work that needs done as well.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #7

I have to wonder whether most dealers have the ability to paint, especially a good quality job?
Old 06-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #8

I doubt it. My dealer sent my coach to a professional body shop.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #9
Traveling

Yale, I saw them painting a Silver and Grey just a half mile away over at the "Buffalo" welding place where they obviously lease space. It looked like a contractor was there in a panel truck doing the job. BY THE WAY: we DID get four bottles of touch-up paint on delivery, I know some were asking about that. I would definitely get those fenders painted when I think of what sun-exposed plastic looks like in a very short time.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #10

Coloradolivin is getting his painted at the same Dealer, so I'm hoping they will throw my fender next to his to catch some overspray at least
Old 06-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #11
Site Team

I think we need to find someone that can punch out aluminum fenders. These plastic ones sure seem to be fragile.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #12

This new one I have is a different material - I think I could bend it in half. The old one was so fragile I caught it with a trash can and broke off the end. This one is much more pliable.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
This new one I have is a different material - I think I could bend it in half. The old one was so fragile I caught it with a trash can and broke off the end. This one is much more pliable.

That's great news! Maybe they've found a solution to this problem.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Mine is the same, much more pliable ... And thinner!
Old 06-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #15

This new one is probably thicker than the old one, by about twice.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:13 AM   #16

Quote:
This new one is probably thicker than the old one, by about twice.
my old one was thicker and stiffer, this one is thin and more pliable. I wonder if these are from a different supplier?
Old 06-09-2014, 03:08 AM   #17

It wouldn't surprise me if the Dealer is just ordering them through their own suppliers and then getting paid by Redwood.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:34 AM   #18

I had the opposite. I don't have full paint and they sent a painted fender that shouldn't be. It was probably correct before painting.

Mark
Old 06-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
I had the opposite. I don't have full paint and they sent a painted fender that shouldn't be. It was probably correct before painting.

Mark
Trade!!
Old 06-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Trade!!
They already did. I still have to cut and put it on though.

Mark