Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #1

Just discovered a cracked in the fiberglass exterior wall of my 2012 RL. It is at the bottom left of the bedroom slide and is a cracks about 3" long. I showed my dealer, and his recommendation is to have an auto body shop make a groove in it and cover it with molding, as they say it is a stress cracked and will occur again. There are only about 8000 miles on the coach. Does any one time else have this issue, and if so, what did you do. I would be more than willing to make the 1500 mile trip to the factory to have it done right.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #2

We had the same problem on our 36FL, we took it back to the factory, they cut the groove, installed moulding on both sides of the front living room slides. Have not had any other exterior cracking problems in any other areas or any recurrance of the initial cracking problem.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #3

I've got about 4000 miles on my 2013 36RL and its cracked in the same place it is at about a 45 deg angle going forward and down from the corner. What makes no sense is that when I hitch up the crack get wider at the top and stays the same at the bottom, it looks like the torsional load is doing the opposite of what I would think
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #4

I have a 2012 RL and the same thing happened. I took it to a body shop and had a H molding installed as everyone mentioned. Redwood paid for installation. Havenot had anymore problems. It is a stress fracture. Why factory does not do this during production I don't understand. They know it happens.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #5

my 2007 Montana had a factory cut there and moulding after prior years of cracking.Sounds like Redwood may need to go through the learning curve themselves.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #6

Well, we also have a crack in the exterior at the corner of the slide in slide at a 45 degree angle. Just noticed it when we were hooking up in MA. We only have approx 3000 miles on this unit which includes the miles from Indiana to Virginia. We have an appointment with our dealer in 3 weeks to fix some small issues so we will add this to the list.

Our list of issues so far:
The door is not set correctly and closes very hard. It also catches on the rain gutter at the top.
One blind has come unattached and needs to be reinstalled.
A window in the back of the unit has a bent arm and one of us has to be outside to push in the window while another turns the knob.
The tub is not caulked (something Redwood should be doing before a unit leaves the factory.)

One issue is that the dealer addressed immediately only 10 days after purchasing the unit, we had a hydraulic leak from an O ring that was bad. Fluid was pouring down the middle jack by the door as I pulled in the main slides. Of course since the brakes also use the same fluid, the brakes didn't work either. The dealer sent techs down and fixed it 3 days after we discovered the problem.

I think it is normal for a new unit to have a breaking in period. I just hope they settle down a bit soon.

Suzy & Ted
TwoMuttsToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #7

We have a new stress crack above the driver's side rear slideout, about 4 inches in length. Redwood has authorized repair. Will be taking it to Ocean Grove RV in St. Augustine for repair.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&D.L
Just discovered a cracked in the fiberglass exterior wall of my 2012 RL. It is at the bottom left of the bedroom slide and is a cracks about 3" long. I showed my dealer, and his recommendation is to have an auto body shop make a groove in it and cover it with molding, as they say it is a stress cracked and will occur again. There are only about 8000 miles on the coach. Does any one time else have this issue, and if so, what did you do. I would be more than willing to make the 1500 mile trip to the factory to have it done right.

Could you post a picture of the crack please

Dan

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLJDM
We have a new stress crack above the driver's side rear slideout, about 4 inches in length. Redwood has authorized repair. Will be taking it to Ocean Grove RV in St. Augustine for repair.

Col

Could you also post a pic of the crack, thanks

Dan

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote