Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2021, 12:05 AM   #1

Carbon Monxide Propnae Deactor

Hi all
I am new to the site and I need help I have a 2014 Redwood and my carbon Monixide propane detactor keeps beeping. I know there is no battery so I was hoping someone could help me to explain how to shut if off. And how to fix it.
nlg1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:45 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
The beeping indicates it is at the end of its life. You need to remove it from the wall and disconnect it from the 12 volt wires. Replacements are available on Amazon.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:38 AM   #3

Thank you very much I thought it might be that but needed a 2nd opinion. Thank for the Amazon info
nlg1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:35 AM   #4

It could also indicate the rv batteries are on their way out, the detector is hardwired directly to the batteries. If the batteries are the original '14 models it's time for replacements, 5 years is typically the lifespan.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:22 PM   #5

I had the same condition. Easy replacement
excapt1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:45 PM   #6

Keep in mind they don't make the black ones any longer. Amazon didn't have it, but I found a white one on EBay, direct replacement.
mfsmith57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlg1948 View Post
Hi all
I am new to the site and I need help I have a 2014 Redwood and my carbon Monixide propane detactor keeps beeping. I know there is no battery so I was hoping someone could help me to explain how to shut if off. And how to fix it.
It is probably not your batteries, because the Propane detector is still receiving power, thus the alarm. Your propane alarm is hard wired and should always stay that way. Never hook it up to a power source that comes off your regular house current!

You can find them on AMAZON and ETrailer as well. ETrailer would be the better choice, since they can verify the manufacture date of the Alarm.

When you take out your propane monitor you currently have, look on the back of the unit, it should have a manufacture date stamped there. If the date is 5 to 7 years ago, then the Alarm is reached its end of life and must be replaced. They cannot be repaired!

I replaced mine 2 years ago and when I received the first one, the manufacture date was 2018. I immediately sent it back and told them, I wanted a newer one, since the service life was already 3 years old. They sent me a new one dated 2019.

ETrailer will verify the date, before they send it to you. If Amazon sends you one that is out of date, then you have to send it back.

These PROPANE Monitors are not cheap, they run around $60 and up!

The critical thing is the manufacture date. It is usually stamped on the back of the unit!

I put a small label on mine and all my alarms in the coach indicating the replacement dates.

As for your batteries, if they are lead acid and you have maintained them properly, they might be time for replacement. Lithium Batteries are very expensive and you will need a new inverter / converter to run lithium, in most cases. I would suggest you purchase AGM batteries, maintenance free and should last 5 to 7 years. And your current inverter / converter should be able to handle them.

Hope this helps.
JSTorsrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:59 PM   #8

If the detector is beeping constantly then you either have a CO/LP issue or the detector is faulty. If it beeps, you reset it, then it beeps again quickly then it's warning you of low voltage. Believe me I went through this scenario a few years ago.
For most likely less than the price difference between lead acid batteries and AGMs you could get the watering system for the lead acid, $50-60. If properly maintained the lead acid batteries will last just as long as the AGMS & with the watering system you can top off both with distilled water in about 5 minutes.
55-8754-2T.jpg
The lithiums are absolutely ridiculously priced, $1000-1300 each, you could replace pairs of lead acids for the next 50 years for the price of a pair of lithiums.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfsmith57 View Post
Keep in mind they don't make the black ones any longer. Amazon didn't have it, but I found a white one on EBay, direct replacement.
I just replaced our black one with the white one. You can take it apart and use the black outer 2 pieces on the white inner piece. You will see how to do it when you get it out.

Rick
Old 02-03-2021, 02:27 AM   #10

I am on my 2nd pair of Interstate maintenance free batteries. The first set lasted 5 years. There is no need to ever add water. The first were put in when I got the trailer home in May 2013.
Mark