Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2015, 01:25 AM   #1

Cable does not work on new 36 RL

We took delivery on our 2015 36RL in April. When we hook up to the cable TV and then run the channel set up on our TVs we only get antenna channels, no cable channels. I am worried that there is an unconnected connection somewhere in my trailer. I really don't want "RV technicians" to rip my trailer apart. Does anyone have any suggestions on what is wrong? Thanks!!!!!
Fischerfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:40 AM   #2

Make sure your antenna booster is turned off. Cable doesn't like to run with the TV booster on. Usually located by or behind your bedroom TV. Push button until light turns off.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:58 AM   #3

Chris is absolutely right on this one.......happened to us on our first night camping. Couldn't get cable...... Only antenna TV. Called dealer & they said "Oh yea, make sure the antenna booster is turned off"......."should have been mentioned at your PDI" (not!). In our case I found it where the tv cable connects to the receptacle on ceiling (little on off button) at the bedroom TV. Your location may be different but I'm sure it's the on off booster button causing your problem.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #4

On our older RL, we also have to select "cable" on the TV, that also may make a difference. On our PDI the dealer demonstrated the antenna (no cable at his dealership), your TV may have been left in that configuration as well.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #5

Also check which input port you are using for the TV cable not the satelite. We have two in our utility area. One TV works and the other doesn't. Try them both. Can't get to mine until next week. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:40 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses we did see on the forum about the antenna booster. With that off there is still no cable. I think we will try to find the cable splitter if we can get one of the ceiling lights off in the bedroom.
Fischerfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #7

step one is to direct wire the cable to a tv (outside) to ensure CABLE from park is working (to eliminate that the cable source is not the issue - don't ask me how I know that one !)
actually had a park guy bring a cheap black and white tv to do the same he one time I called them !!!

step two is to then run the cable inside to a direct wire to the tv
then set your tv to cable input and search for new stations... (to eliminate the cabling from the input hack thru the rv)

if that all works, then try thr cabling thru the rv...

if it still doesn't work, it's the cabling THRU the rv --- and good luck !!!

I'd let the dealer trace down another assembly line quality control issue...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #8

I bought a cable tester to find which plug outside went to which plug inside. the tester was about $20.00 best money spent. I've been trying to accomplish this for quite sometime with no success. After buying the tool I got what I needed in minutes.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:11 PM   #9

Posted this on a previous thread, Home depot has a gadget that you can trace those connections, that's what I did in our 36FL and marked them myself, used Klein Tool VDV512-058 Coax Explorer Plus Tester
2013 36FL, Winegard Trav'ler Dish 1000, Stacked W/D, Heat pump, Trailair Air Ride 5th Wheel Pin Box, 2016 3500 Ram Longhorn Edition Crew Cab 4x4, 50 gal auxilliary tank, 5000 Airlift bags, 26K Husky hitch
riciren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:51 PM   #10

I had the same problem last night. First time I had used cable. A guy at the campground advised me to off the booster. I did this and still it wouldn't work. I finally played with set up through the menu on the tv and found a place to switch from antenna to cable. Works great now.
Dross is offline   Reply With Quote