Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2020, 09:27 PM   #1

Bubblies in paint

I have a 2016 39mb with the siskins paint. The front cap and the rear cap along with all the slide walls have bubblies under the paint. The bubblies cover the hole surface. And as usual RW and the paint company have put the blame on me . I have an estimate of repair from my RW dealer that I bought my rig from. They can do the job in their paint facility @ the cost of $14,000.00 and 3 weeks to do the job. The reason I got from Crossroads as to why the paint is bubbling is due to the fact that I live in the NW and their is not enough sun to keep the rig walls warm enough to expel the moisture in the paint. I SAY ITS NOTHING BUT A BUNCH OF B/S . TIME TO FIND A LAWER! I wonder how many others are having this same problem.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:32 PM   #2

Well we've had our RL since 2013 and during the spring, summer and fall we store in the Portland OR metro area. I've not seen one even teeny tiny bubble in our paint.........when clean and waxed it still looks new. The last two winters here in AZ the weather has been cool and somewhat wet so I will join you in calling BS!!

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:40 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
We live in Washington state and store our 2012 redwood outside. After seven years we have had no problems with bubbles in the paint.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:39 AM   #4

What they are telling you is most probably BS....I have had a lot of experience with automotive type finishes....done many restorations and the common thread with ANY failure in the paint (98% of the time) is poor prep (primer problems)...or contamination on the unit before the final finish is applied....often the time between when the primer is applied and the finish paint work is done....the unit got contaminated...something to do with the work or products used before the finish paint work.....These auto finishes with some care should (and will ) last for years...nearly all the failures of car paint thru the years was primer / prep problems

Wes

2015 38RL. 2016 F-450
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:40 AM   #5

We live in Oregon our RW is stored outside for the last 5 years. No bubbles in our paint all looks great.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:50 AM   #6
Site Team

So Redwood is telling you that due to their paint job a Redwood is not to used in the NW!!! That is BS. The paint is base/clear just like modern cars and trucks. A possibility is that they did not let the base coat cure long enough before applying the clear and the solvents in the base are coming thru the clear.
In any case, sounds like a bad paint job. You might have a good body shop look at it and see what they thing the cause is. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:20 PM   #7

If what RW is saying is true, shouldn't all Cars and Trucks in the NW look like crap in a few years??????
Before you cry Lawyer, keeping working on anyone and everyone at RW.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:24 PM   #8

Find a local body shop that sprays Sikens paint (one of the best paints on the market). They will have a local REP that they deal with. The Sickens factory guy can tell you exactly what the issue is. Then you can take the results to your lawyer. I would think Redwood will then help with some kind of a solution.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:48 PM   #9

Go after them with both barrels loaded. I really am tired of hearing about all the b.s. excuses from redwood trying to coverup their piss poor workmanship and 0 quality control. I have never been to the factory nor do they want me there after all the problems I had with mine. ut if anyone had the time to do it, a large contingent of Pissed off owners at their front door with big lemons painted on their units may make a statement. Just think of all the nice photo opportunities for their next brochure. Good thing they don't build boats they would probably all sink.
Chief AFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:04 AM   #10

We own a 2014 39MB that has lived in Williston Florida its entire life, in fact has never been over the road except for the maiden voyage from the selling dealer (Lazy Days) to the RV resort. It has had an easy life , lives in a shaded site, and is washed an waxed regularly, still shining and appearing as new except for all the little 'zits' that have appeared in the paint over the last two years. At first I thought this was tree sap, but they are raised up tiny bubbles in the paint.
I had read elsewhere online that this was a known issue with the 2014's and had to do with moisture under the finish coats or clearcoat. I've decided to just live with it as the problem exists all over the rig. No one notices it unless you are right up close, but it has been a major disappointment as the rest of the rig has been great.
baxterdusers is offline   Reply With Quote