Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #21

If we had depended on a Roof Top Satellite Dish, about 80% of the time we would not have Satellite TV.
Most of our Travels are in the Southeast part of the US and yes we have trees.
Been doing the Tri Pod method when we move about every two weeks for the last 4+ years.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #22

I too, have decided that the Tri Pod and dish method is best for us. We tend to camp in trees so the roof top won't work for those spots. I figured that if I have to travel with the Tri Pod and dish anyway, why bother with the roof top and its expense.

I invested in a meter that makes hook up possible in just a minute or 2. The meter, Satlook lite, is a bit expensive, but I allows me to lock on to all three satellites and fine tune the signal right at the dish. Once I'm done at the dish, I connect the coax to the rig and I'm done. Previously, using just a signal meter and having to run in and out of the rig to tune the satellite was a pain. For me, the meter made the difference......

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:36 PM   #23

Now this means nothing about nothing, but I still chuckle.

2 years ago we planned a trip to Custer SP with several friends. When I made reservations for all of us at Custer's Gulch CG they asked if I needed satellite. I did, my buddy's did not, but we still wanted to be by each other - booked! In the meantime my buddy and I chatted about satellite antennas over most the winter. After months of grueling, he decided to go cautious and get the portable tailgater because of trees. For the rest of the spring, I had to listen to him talk about why he got a portable (we are good friends). The day came and we pulled into Custer Gulch. My Travler locked instantly. He took his brand new tailgater out of the box and we tried to get a signal on his for hours, in fact over a period of days. After 2 days, he asked if he could run cable and put his tailgaiter on my roof next to my roof mount. I smiled and said yes and "bingo", instant satellite lock!

Moral of the story - nothing really, I got my moment to rub it in. I never told him the park selected my space on satellite reception.

Pretty campground BTW -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roof.jpg (336.7 KB, 9 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #24

Brad,
Good story! I have a tailgater collecting dust in my garage! Nothing like the actual dish!!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:48 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I have a win guard carryout portable I use when the rooftop one has the signal blocked because of trees etc. Just hook up the cable and plug it in to 12v and it automatically finds the sattelite
Old 12-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
I too, have decided that the Tri Pod and dish method is best for us. We tend to camp in trees so the roof top won't work for those spots. I figured that if I have to travel with the Tri Pod and dish anyway, why bother with the roof top and its expense.

I invested in a meter that makes hook up possible in just a minute or 2. The meter, Satlook lite, is a bit expensive, but I allows me to lock on to all three satellites and fine tune the signal right at the dish. Once I'm done at the dish, I connect the coax to the rig and I'm done. Previously, using just a signal meter and having to run in and out of the rig to tune the satellite was a pain. For me, the meter made the difference......

Ken
I use my I Phone App - Dish Pointer to find a clear view of the Satellites and a AccuTek III Meter to tune them in, finds all three satellites for me, quick and easy.
Just have to charge the meter every few months.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:23 PM   #27

I do believe it is personal preference. We've been on the road now for almost 3 years with our RW and roof mounted Winguard and have only had a reception issue a couple of times. For me personally I like to push the button and have satellite ready for programs under 5 minutes.