Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2018, 11:24 PM   #1

Bedroom Slide Floor Replacement

Hello All

Has anyone taken on the task of replacing the floor on bedroom slide on a 2013 36RE.

Facing the bed right side have noticed the floor on the underside of the slide sagging. Seems water is getting in some way and for some time, as the floor is very soft.

Looks as though the water entering the unit is being trapped underneath the plastic material located on the underside of the slide. Drilled a small hole in this material and water came out.

Trying to located the source of the leak has not been successful either.

The first screw up the exterior of the slide have no signs of moisture, yet the screws on the underside are rusted.

Without removing the walls I see no signs of water damage on the inside walls either. There is no signs of mildew entering the unit.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
gflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:58 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Gerard
There has been issues of this happening when the caulking of the 4" trim piece on the outside at the bottom of the slide cracks and allows moisture in. It has no where to go but into the floor of the slide
Old 07-23-2018, 01:01 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Gerard
Check the 4 " trim piece at the bottom of the slide on the outside. If it is cracked it will allow water to come in and can only go to the floor of the slide allowing the wood to get wet and rot
Old 07-23-2018, 01:06 AM   #4

Friends had both slides of their Front Livingroom with that problem, and that's where the water was coming in, on the top side of that 4" Trim piece.
Their's went to the Service Center where they pulled both slides to replace the floor.
There is a U Tube around that details step-by-step how it can be done.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:26 AM   #5

Thanks for the info.

I had a Redwood dealer quote this with a price tag of 9K. Indications are the slide has to be removed. Is this reasonable or out to lunch.

The bad thing about it is by the time these things are noticed the damage is already done.

I've seen some U-tube videos but I've not come upon one with Schwintek bedroom slide system.

If you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks, Gerard
Old 12-24-2020, 02:35 AM   #6
MrT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gflynn View Post
Thanks for the info.

I had a Redwood dealer quote this with a price tag of 9K. Indications are the slide has to be removed. Is this reasonable or out to lunch.

The bad thing about it is by the time these things are noticed the damage is already done.

I've seen some U-tube videos but I've not come upon one with Schwintek bedroom slide system.

If you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks, Gerard
I know your slide problem was 5 years ago, but was wondering what the outcome was. I've just discovered a soft spot in the floor inside the washer/dryer part of the bedroom slide.
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:53 PM   #7

I removed the floor and replaced it with Baltic Birch plywood. Got lucky and found a piece that was full length 3/4" thick so I didn't have to piece it together. The remaining thickness I glued 1/4" plywood on the top side. Never installed the vinyl bottom again just painted plywood with marine grade black paint. Also installed aluminum in the area of rollers.
Have not seen any signs of water.
At least with the black vinyl removed you know if water has been leaking. With vinyl in place don't know until the damage has already been done.

Regards, Gerard
Old 01-06-2021, 03:14 PM   #8
MrT

thanks

Sounds like it was fun. How long did it take to do it?
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:39 PM   #9

Yeah, fun...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:30 AM   #10

I'm currently replacing the floor in mine. I'm also using 2 layers. 1/4" BCX and 3/4" marine grade. Just going to paint the bottom.
Mark
Old 01-13-2021, 10:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
I'm currently replacing the floor in mine. I'm also using 2 layers. 1/4" BCX and 3/4" marine grade. Just going to paint the bottom.
Mark
I think the aluminum strips where the rollers are is a good idea. wood may not stand up to a roller that doesn't turn . I have a small spot that hasn't got any worse in two years to I have been following this closely. I am not looking forward to pulling the bed and washer and drier out to replace 16' of flooring for a spot that is 8"at the back of the drier. I found multiple spots where the caulking was less then acceptable in my eyes around the top corner and termination strips. Thanks REDWOOD! simple QC would greatly improve there consumer opinion of the RV industry.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:43 PM   #12

I'm probably not going to use the strips. The original 1" material was about 10 plus. The 3/4" I'm using is 7 plys. The 1/4" is 3 plys. While not as strong as a single thickness, I feel it will be fine. If I see a problem later, I will install them then.
Mark