Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2016, 01:01 AM   #1

Bedroom slide

Knew it was going to happen, just hoped it would be later in life. Winterized today, went to pull in bedroom slide and only one side pulls in. I can hear both motors working, no error codes on the panel. Pulled both cables, was able to move the slide just a bit. Plugged everything back in and no go. I regularly uses CRC, always do the hold buttons for the count of 5. Guessing it is a bad motor. Anyone have the part number for the motor? Hate to have it sit all winter with the slide out. Lots of snow in this area? 2013RL. Thanks.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:18 AM   #2

Lippert 236575 RV In-Wall Slide-Out Motor

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:03 PM   #3

Thanks Rob. I'll get it ordered and make a run out to the rig. Looks to be easy to replace if you can get to it.
USN Retired

Old 11-14-2016, 10:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Skip,

If you can get to the motor you'll see a plug in the top that covers a small square hole (one of my motors had the plug but the other did not). Spray some silicone in that hold and work the switch back and fourth. This could solve your problem. I had the same problem and this is how I fixed it. I'll see if I still have the picture and if I do I'll post it.

This helps the brushes of the motor I believe but it did work for me a few times. Also one winter after driving through a blizzard I had to take a hair dryer to the motor to melt the ice that had accumulated in it from the moisture.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:57 PM   #5
Site Team

Here's a picture of the electric motor that should be on your 2013 Redwood. In this picture I have removed the trim around the slide opening to get to the motor. When I put the trim back up I uses small cabinet screws to make it easy to take off again if I needed to.

I hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redwood motor.jpg (250.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 11-15-2016, 12:42 AM   #6

Dave, thanks. That might just help some of us older Redwood owners down the line.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:13 AM   #7

Dave that gives me a better idea of what I'm looking at. I'm going to try and get it in a little bit so I can reach it. Is there a screw on the outside on Redwoods? My plan is to remove power, push it in, check the motor and make sure nothing causing it to stop, the go from there. Motor ordered. Scary thing is we had friends with SOB and had to leave them behind 3 times because of the schwinteks. They got rid of the rig in less than a year.
USN Retired

Old 11-15-2016, 01:13 AM   #8
Site Team

Jim, twice Redwood was going to send me motors for my unit until I found this little trick. The motor failure is one of the reasons the factory said they wanted people to move their slide in and out once a week even if they were parked. I guess rust would build up on the armatures and by putting some silicone on them it fixes the problem.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:28 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Flyer View Post
Dave that gives me a better idea of what I'm looking at. I'm going to try and get it in a little bit so I can reach it. Is there a screw on the outside on Redwoods? My plan is to remove power, push it in, check the motor and make sure nothing causing it to stop, the go from there. Motor ordered. Scary thing is we had friends with SOB and had to leave them behind 3 times because of the schwinteks. They got rid of the rig in less than a year.
There is a screw towards the top of the motor accessed from under the wiper that needs to be removed. The motor can then be prayed up with a screwdriver and removed on the inside of the coach. I replaced both on my main slide as the wires were attached directly to soder points on the printed circuit board. They have since upgraded this connection on the new motors
Old 11-15-2016, 01:29 AM   #10

I lubed my Schwintek motors / slides regularly and they have always worked great.

When my Schwintek motor failed, I pulled it out and found a wire broken on the backside of the motor, replaced the motor and my slide has worked great ever since.

The new motors have a redesigned wiring connection.

Since I move about every two weeks year round, my slides get opened and closed about 25 to 30 times a year, been fulltiming with my Redwood for over 2 1/2 years so my Schwintek slides have been opened and closed at least 80 times.

The 1 motor failure is the only problem I have had with my Schwintek slides (never had to adjust cable tension yet )
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:47 PM   #11

bedroom slide

Slide is finally in. Bad control board and motor. Although I couldn't find any leaks, motor was rusted. There was no way in the world to get that slide in without the motors working. No errors on the control board did not help matters. Final solution was to tear apart all the moldings and panels in the bedroom to reach the motor and replace it.
This does not give me a warm and cozy feeling should the other motor go out or control board again. Stuck with no way to tow it, no manual means of bringing that slide in. Stuck. Carry a spare motor? A spare control board?
My rig is a 2013, any chance Redwood would pay for the parts?
USN Retired

Old 12-14-2016, 01:42 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I have replaced both motors on the large bedroom slide due to wires coming off the motors. I have a spare motor and control board and hope I never need them. Neither are hard to replace of your motor goes you can uncouple the motor and move the slide by pushing on it. It does take some effort though. Also if you have to do this to get the slide in make sure you recoup let the motor as that is all that holds it in if you take a sharp corner while driving
Old 12-14-2016, 01:53 AM   #13

I tried with a couple friends to push it in, tried tilting the whole rig down on the right side and pushing, tried the unplugging, tried the 7 button sequence, even tried a tow strap and pulling it in. It wasn't coming in, it is a very heavy slide. Wish there was a manual backup way to bring it in. I made sure to sync the sides a few time and the relearn sequence. Hoping for the best.
USN Retired

Old 12-14-2016, 02:10 AM   #14

Skip
Did you uncouple the motor to move the slide. You need to remove the outer screw and then pry the motor up with a screwdriver. You can not just unplug the cord from it. Our slide has the washer in it so it does take some effort to move it.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:02 AM   #15

Ya I was just going to say that. If you don't uncouple them, they don't move.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #16
Site Team

skip,

this is why I recommended replacing the wood trim nails with small cabinet screws. I found one of my motors was frozen with water and we had to take a hair dryer to thaw it out. It concerned me that water was getting near the motors with them being so high up the wall, where else was that water going? I made it a point to spay silicone in the motors at least once a year to keep them from building up rust and I didn't have any problems after that.

I don't like the cable systems but this might be one of the reasons they went that way.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #17

Shane, I removed the screws on the outside and used a pick to push the motors out of the slot, then tried to move the slide and didn't work, made sure the slide was still on track. Wouldn't budge.
Dave, I remembered you posting earlier about using the cabinet screws, I used velcro strips with a stapler. Seems to be holding well and easy to pull back down. Will take the silicon advice on the motor itself. The CRC seems to work well with the slide mechanisms, they looked good still.

Skip
USN Retired

Old 12-14-2016, 03:39 PM   #18

20161005_120522.jpg
I get this at Walmart, it has the same Teflon as the CRC & you can buy 3 of these to 1 CRC. I've been using for 4 years on my RW & no slide or jack issues, in fact it's he only lubricant I carry anymore.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:13 PM   #19

RW isn't the only one switching to the cable operated slide, last I saw DRV was back to using cable on their smaller slides.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:45 PM   #20

Wonder if any 5er Manufacturer went to the Power Gear system I see as a replacement for Schwinteck.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote