Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2017, 01:04 AM   #41

Coco, Welcome to the Redwood forum. Not to offend you, but you might want to post your question under "Redwood RV/Owners Forums Towing and Hitching" Reading the posts under that category, including CAT scale weights, might help you get you the answer you were looking for.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:08 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco View Post
Actually I m not in need of help for my slide. I posted wanting help to see if it was ok for me to pull my 31' Redwood with a 4x4 Dodge 2005 with automatic transmission, 4 door short bed with air bags in the rear, large engine.
And you might want to clarify in you new post what you mean by "large engine". Just state which engine it is. Did you try my link?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:15 PM   #43

Quote:
Actually I m not in need of help for my slide. I posted wanting help to see if it was ok for me to pull my 31' Redwood with a 4x4 Dodge 2005 with automatic transmission, 4 door short bed with air bags in the rear, large engine.
FTR, air bags do nothing to help your numbers. Your truck ratings don't go up with airbag installation. Personally, I don't think any RW is light enough for a 2500 SWD, but there are people here that tow with them.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:03 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
I don't think any RW is light enough for a 2500 SWD, but there are people here that tow with them.
Not quite accurate but close. My CAT Scale weights prove it. But to your point, I'll bet I could overload it fairly easily.

That is the reason we chose the 31SL rather that the 36 we were first considering.

The airbags do make a huge difference in drive-ability and handling.

Just my 2c.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:19 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtasee View Post
Not quite accurate but close. My CAT Scale weights prove it.
Curious, what did you come up with for pin weight and was it full of fresh water?
Old 01-08-2017, 06:59 PM   #46

Quote:
Not quite accurate but close. My CAT Scale weights prove it. But to your point, I'll bet I could overload it fairly easily.

That is the reason we chose the 31SL rather that the 36 we were first considering.

The airbags do make a huge difference in drive-ability and handling.

Just my 2c.
Just what I wanted to hear. I am only driving in Texas not in the mountains. My 2500 is a turbo . I can tell it is behind me where I could not with my yellowstone. I feel better talking to you. Just did not want to trade of my truck for a 350 if at all possible.
Thank you
coco
Coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:00 PM   #47

Quote:
Just what I wanted to hear. I am only driving in Texas not in the mountains. My 2500 is a turbo . I can tell it is behind me where I could not with my yellowstone. I feel better talking to you. Just did not want to trade of my truck for a 350 if at all possible.
Thank you
coco
I do not carry water and travel as light aI can it is only me no extra weight.
Coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:09 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Curious, what did you come up with for pin weight and was it full of fresh water?
Brad,

This is a copy from my previous post about my weights. Like I said, brochure or salesman not a good place for the info.

2017 31SL numbers
I did not want to post this until I had the real numbers. Here is how my 2017 31SL weighs in. Keep in mind this is the "Baby Redwood".

The brochure shows 12,120 lbs and a pin weight of 2,265.

I ordered the 31 because I already had a newer 3/4 ton Duramax and the other trailer I was looking at first (36FB) really needed more truck.

I ordered the options I wanted (listed below) but do NOT have the residential package, Washer/Dryer or Dishwasher.

I loaded my camping stuff (not much) like chairs, mats, grille, propane, a few tools etc. and we were careful to not have heavy kitchenware. Mostly plastic or paper. This weight is with the water tanks mostly empty. No clothes

The Trailer weighed in at 14,650, and the pin at 2,580. So much using factory weights....

The airbags I added, and running 75 lbs of pressure in them, really helped the stability and it tows very nicely. The disc brakes on the trailer make a HUGE difference comparing it to my boat. In my opinion if you are towing with a lighter (than a DRW) truck, you really will love the extra security of the brakes.

The issue is the truck tires. I have 305/55 R20 tires rated at 3195 each. With the Superglide hitch and 3/4 tank of fuel, the drive axle weighs in at 6060 leaving 330 pounds for extra pin weight.

That puts me under but not by much.

We are very careful now with where we load extra stuff. Because we ordered the 8K axles and H tires, the trailer is way under GVW ( by 3K lbs). The truck tires not so much...
Old 01-09-2017, 02:23 AM   #49

Quote:
Thank you
coco
Coco,

I still recommend putting YOUR trailer on the scales. Read my previous post and use my weights for an estimate if you like but you will not know until you weigh yours.

As you can see, I am very close with a Duramax diesel HD. What does your truck show for towing capacity in the owners manual?

As others have said, it is not really about pulling, it is about stopping and handling. Did you get the disc brake option on the trailer? If not, have Ron (Titan Guy) put them on for you ASAP. Especially if you are going to keep your 2500.
Be safe...
Old 01-09-2017, 02:44 AM   #50

Quote:
Brad,

This is a copy from my previous post about my weights. Like I said, brochure or salesman not a good place for the info.

2017 31SL numbers
I did not want to post this until I had the real numbers. Here is how my 2017 31SL weighs in. Keep in mind this is the "Baby Redwood".

The brochure shows 12,120 lbs and a pin weight of 2,265.

I ordered the 31 because I already had a newer 3/4 ton Duramax and the other trailer I was looking at first (36FB) really needed more truck.

I ordered the options I wanted (listed below) but do NOT have the residential package, Washer/Dryer or Dishwasher.

I loaded my camping stuff (not much) like chairs, mats, grille, propane, a few tools etc. and we were careful to not have heavy kitchenware. Mostly plastic or paper. This weight is with the water tanks mostly empty. No clothes

The Trailer weighed in at 14,650, and the pin at 2,580. So much using factory weights....

The airbags I added, and running 75 lbs of pressure in them, really helped the stability and it tows very nicely. The disc brakes on the trailer make a HUGE difference comparing it to my boat. In my opinion if you are towing with a lighter (than a DRW) truck, you really will love the extra security of the brakes.

The issue is the truck tires. I have 305/55 R20 tires rated at 3195 each. With the Superglide hitch and 3/4 tank of fuel, the drive axle weighs in at 6060 leaving 330 pounds for extra pin weight.

That puts me under but not by much.

We are very careful now with where we load extra stuff. Because we ordered the 8K axles and H tires, the trailer is way under GVW ( by 3K lbs). The truck tires not so much...
Ah cool, thanks Larry. I don't think I ever heard real weights for the 31SL. I know the FL series end up being light on the front as well.

I certainly agree on those disk brakes!