Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2016, 06:06 PM   #1

Auto Leveler Question

So I am still a little new to having any 5th wheel. I have had my new rig out to a couple of different parks that were all fairly level to begin with.

My driveway at home slopes down a little from the street to the house. It is not steep but not insignificant either. I will back the unit in. This will have the rear low and the front high with a tilt to the right.

I had a motorhome before that I would pull in the other way (front low). I put blocks under the leveler pads and it would raise the front tires of the coach off the ground about 3". No problem as the park brake is works on the rear wheels.

I think one of the advantages of the 5th wheel will be that the front can be lowered almost to the ground as part of the leveling strategy. The MH did not have lowering capability.

Here is a couple of questions. Assuming I lower the front manually first, then use the Auto Level, will the system use the low front jacks as part of it's program? The reason I ask is that would make much more sense than raising the rear to the point where the right rear jack possibly run out of travel.

Can I use a block under the right rear Jack Pad to help give it a couple more inches of travel?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtasee View Post
So I am still a little new to having any 5th wheel. I have had my new rig out to a couple of different parks that were all fairly level to begin with.

My driveway at home slopes down a little from the street to the house. It is not steep but not insignificant either. I will back the unit in. This will have the rear low and the front high with a tilt to the right.

I had a motorhome before that I would pull in the other way (front low). I put blocks under the leveler pads and it would raise the front tires of the coach off the ground about 3". No problem as the park brake is works on the rear wheels.

I think one of the advantages of the 5th wheel will be that the front can be lowered almost to the ground as part of the leveling strategy. The MH did not have lowering capability.

Here is a couple of questions. Assuming I lower the front manually first, then use the Auto Level, will the system use the low front jacks as part of it's program? The reason I ask is that would make much more sense than raising the rear to the point where the right rear jack possibly run out of travel.

Can I use a block under the right rear Jack Pad to help give it a couple more inches of travel?

Thanks for the help.
The auto level will use all six jacks to level so I would use the manual mode. In manual you have control over the front and four side jacks when MANUAL MODE is selected.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:42 PM   #3

Why not just hit auto level and be done with it ?

The rear of my camper is probably 10" higher off the ground that the front due to my slope... I back up to the HD Wheel chock , un-hitch , and hit auto level... easy peasy . . .
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:20 PM   #4

Yes, you can auto level. If you think there is enough slope at the rear of your coach, by all means add some blocks to give your jacks support if you anticipate they would run out more than 100% without the blocks.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #5

I would also watch that the wheels do not come off the ground. With all the comments lately about the springs flipping I would be watching to make sure they are not off the ground.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
I would also watch that the wheels do not come off the ground. With all the comments lately about the springs flipping I would be watching to make sure they are not off the ground.
That is certainly something to watch! I do not anticipate the wheels coming completely off the ground.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:16 PM   #7

Ah mine did all the time. I never had the shackles flip, but it does pull apart the spring bands.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:38 PM   #8

We have started lowering the front prior to hitting auto due to fact that after unhitching it starts too high in the front & levels from there which usually makes the first step higher than we like. So the simple answer is add blocks where needed, lower the front, & hit auto level. If it doesn't raise both wheels on the same axle it shouldn't flip the shackles.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
We have started lowering the front prior to hitting auto due to fact that after unhitching it starts too high in the front & levels from there which usually makes the first step higher than we like. So the simple answer is add blocks where needed, lower the front, & hit auto level. If it doesn't raise both wheels on the same axle it shouldn't flip the shackles.
When I hit auto level, the first thing it does is lower the front all the way to the ground.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergeman View Post
When I hit auto level, the first thing it does is lower the front all the way to the ground.

X2 . . . Then the rear kicks in, 1 side at a time
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:41 AM   #11
Dan

I park mine in the same manner. When I hit auto level it goes to the ground and then comes up with an error and I have to do it manually

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:42 AM   #12

My driveway is also quite steep, higher towards the house, slopes to the street and away from the house. I have to put blocks on the down side or I get an out of stroke error.
Fred