Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2016, 04:23 PM   #1

Aluminum Steps

Just installed my 2 new sets of aluminum steps this morning and answered a question for anyone who wants to know. They always advertise as light weight.

Factory steel quad steps 82lbs.

Aluminum quad steps 67lbs.

Steve
Old 08-14-2016, 06:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
Just installed my 2 new sets of aluminum steps this morning and answered a question for anyone who wants to know. They always advertise as light weight.

Factory steel quad steps 82lbs.

Aluminum quad steps 67lbs.

Steve

Steve , how does Char like them ? I know that Lori loves them ,as her job was to button up inside , exit, lock up and steps I up when we leave... She always was complaining that the 4 metal steps were too heavy, and sticking...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:43 PM   #3

She loves them Joe but time will tell. There was 4 New Redwoods at the rally and all had the aluminum steps. All worked as hard if not worse then our steal ones. Keep the lube handy!!!

In my opinion not 1 of those 4 had any wow factor when you walked in. Ac didn't work in one of them and was blowing warm air. Parts were missing. No TV's in any so I guess they must remove those so no one takes them but sure does make them look very unimpressive with only brackets showing and wires hanging. Waist master storage box under 2 of them were already falling off because clips were mounted wrong. Guess they did away with the friction hinge also since none had them if I remember correctly.
Not sure if it was RW that brought those or the dealer.
With what I saw we will not be upgrading to any of those but we did see a few very nice ones at the factory that could make us think down the road.

Steve
Old 08-14-2016, 09:09 PM   #4

Can't believe some peoples thinking....you would think that any units, especially ones on display would have 2 or 3 times the final checks... No TV's really makes RV's look lonely . . . .
We were at an open house at a local Rv dealer last year, walked into a fifth wheel and the fridge panels were sitting on the counter.. I asked the sales guy ,who said it was delivered like that, they Will fix it when it sells ??
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:00 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
As Steve says the condition of the 4 trailers Tiara brought to the rally were despicable. As stated above as well as screws laying around trim out of alignment etc. If I was bringing in units to show and have people wanting to upgrade they would be immaculate. If I was redwood I would have been livid having one of my dealers portray my product in this way. Goes to show what the dealers think.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:15 AM   #6

Dealers are probably getting tired of being the final QC and assembly point for the factory. How about Redwood's responsibility to deliver a quality product. The units on their loto ready to ship should be quality, with dealers correcting the "not so obvious"...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:10 AM   #7

The 4 Redwoods that were out front for us to look at when we went to the factory tour were near perfect. I'm a bit picky but that's my nature and as we have heard about the red tape. One unit which I did really like and is on my list if we upgrade again did have one piece of red tape on a single piece of loose trim on a window. Other then that they were clean and ready to show unlike the ones at the rally. Maybe all the cosmetic issues occur in transit and on dealer lots???

Steve
Old 08-15-2016, 02:26 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Your right Steve
I only saw a couple items that needed some work at the factory.They were pretty much immaculate without delving under the surface. Tiaras 4 not so much. It is possible they all look like Tiaras and the factory tour ones were cleaned up. If I was selling one of these things as a dealer I would make sure they looked like the factory models.the old adage if you find one thing wrong doing QC you will probably find others.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:04 AM   #9

It's to bad I am at the age of thinking how I can enjoy life more without working. The RV industry will be 100 % against it but if they were trying to run an honest business and possibly spend a small %. I see a HUGE opportunity for mobile independent small Quality Control companies. In house QC doesn't seem to work in any RV company that I know of. There are 2 that are very close but not naming names tonight and just rambling on.

I am really hoping that RW's new plant designated just for QC inspections puts some new standards out there. I would hope if it is up and running that we are able to tour it at next years rally. This change may let me know it's time to upgrade once again.

Steve
Old 08-16-2016, 09:42 PM   #10

Not sure when this much trumpeted QC religion is or was supposed to kick in but we met a couple that just bought a Redwood Sequoia from Tiara a month ago and they have issues with trim falling off and a bedroom A/C that does not work. Nothing but the run around from Tiara. I gave them the Redwood Customer Service number and there only response was "bring it in". Couple are full timers and he is a heavy equipment operator working 6 days a week outside of Chicago for the next 2 months.
Another "happy" Redwood owner thanks to dealer who does not GAD.