Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2015, 02:39 AM   #1

After 7 weeks finally got my RW. NOW>>>

Gentlemen and ladies. Got my RW with a new roof, and my generator installed back after 7 weeks in the shop. Upon checking everything out I noticed several things left undone and was making notes. When I ask to start the Generator and check it under load. I had them connect my generator which I had purchased and installed right before I took it in for all the warranty work. So being they had it so long I decided to pay them to finish the install. Hook up the transfer switch and the wires to the battery and propane. Which they did. However, gen would not start. Batteries dead. And I mean dead. The were down to 2.3 volts. So they plugged it in to shore power to charge and I waited another 2 hours to bring them up some. Finally needing to go I hooked up and figured the 1 + hour drive home would charge them. I get home unhook and tried to level up. Low voltage warning came on. I plugged into the shore power turned on Ac and lights. I noticed that my inside panel where the inverter is was really running hard. Went out side and noticed water dripping or running from under the front area with the battery box. I opened up the front and the batteries are boiling. And there is extreme heat coming out from the battery box area. So much I was afraid to open the. So I disconnected from all power. 1 hour later went out to check and they are still to hot to touch. Very Hot. What could be causing this. Wrong hook up on the Transfer switch? the power converter? PLEASE don't tell me to go back to my dealer...... I have already had so many issues. I am scheduled to leave for a extended trip on monday. NOW???? Any Help or suggestions? What could be causing this. I have checked the wires from the battery to the generator. But the transfer switch wires I have not opened it up yet. Not really sure what I am looking for there. But something is wrong. And I fear now both my batteries are shot or their life has been made extremely short.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:35 AM   #2

So sorry to hear of all your problems. I just wired my transfer switch and it wasn't that hard. There are 3 different sections so I would open the box up and see how they wired it and follow the labels on the switch. If the batteries are boiling and that hot, they are most likely shot. Check the transfer switch first before you put any new batteries in. If it is wired correctly then you need to see how the rest of the wiring is hooked up. I would be calling the dealer in the morning and tell them they either send a tech out to your place or they will be paying for fuel so you can go back. If you go back don't leave to it is correct. Keep us posted.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:42 AM   #3

Mark, thanks for you reply. I plan on having my GK at their shop at 7:30 am. That means I will have a extremely long day tomorrow. I will have to be up and gone by6 am. The rest of the day will be a challenge. This will not be pretty.....I am now beyond my kind patients and understanding. Not enough space on here for me to list all of the absolute stupid stuff that I have already had to go through with this RW.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:45 AM   #4

Your on the right approach - they need to make room for you now - they have got something very wrong.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:56 AM   #5

I hope it all goes well. Unfortunately you want to just start grabbing someone and ask them if they would be happy, but you have to keep you cool so everything gets fixed. I would also try and get the general manger and owner involved if you can!
Old 09-16-2015, 04:03 AM   #6

Mark, I already have got the owner involved in my other issues. The Service manager also. He is not to fond of me now. I personally feel I have a very legitimate complaint. owned it for 17 weeks. have only had it in my possession 5 weeks. I know they are going to want me to leave it and put it back in the service rotation. That is where we are going to have a strong disagreement. I have already done that two times. I personally feel that when it is RW and the dealerships fault for the lack of parts or forgetting to order parts. That is not my fault. They tell me to come and pick it up and they will call me when the proper parts come in. Only to never hear from them. So I call and then when I affirm that the parts are there. I haul it over. Only to be told that it will be two weeks before the even get it into the bay. I personally feel that this is a ongoing issue that should warrant my immediate attention being I already waited two weeks on the prior visit. OH Brother!!!
Old 09-16-2015, 04:21 AM   #7

Hopefully he will see the urgency (boiling batteries) and jump out to help you right then and there, but if not, I would just park it in front of their bay and lock the truck and tell them they are fixing it now. (easy for me to say from here, but that would how I would like to do it). That battery boiling is making a mess and has the potential to start really damaging sensitive electronics.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:26 AM   #8

This RW is still a beautiful RV. Shame the Dealership has to be such a pain. And the crazy thing about it. I really like these guys. Trying hard to maintain a good relationship. But they are wearing on my last nerve now. LOL Thanks guys for the responses.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:31 AM   #9

Hope all works out tomorrow, Let us know what they find.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:36 PM   #10

The batteries are toast (sic)
probably anything UNDER/around/behind the batteries are toast - that's not just water - that's acid...

In my experience, and from what your are stating, you will NOT be happy today... which dealer is it so others can avoid them?

Call Redwood/Crossroads/Thor now since other posters have said they are responding now and test that rumor

I FEEL your pain !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:59 PM   #11

Plenty of pain to go around!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
The batteries are toast (sic)
probably anything UNDER/around/behind the batteries are toast - that's not just water - that's acid...

In my experience, and from what your are stating, you will NOT be happy today... which dealer is it so others can avoid them?

Call Redwood/Crossroads/Thor now since other posters have said they are responding now and test that rumor

I FEEL your pain !
I have a 2016 Redwood 38GK. Problems with the street side slide since taking possession and now brakes that are all greased up. Should all be warranty but getting the run around from crossroads. They will allow 2.8 hours to replace all four backing plates complete with shoes bearings and seels repack all turn the drums and remount all and the 4 tires. I hope they send super man to do this job. I find Crossroads customer service just to be a runaround. Also I am not very high on their repair shops.
gvtahoe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:52 PM   #12

OK, I am back home with my RW and everything was dealt with in a satisfactory way. I was at the Service center waiting on them to open. Explained the problem. And they immediately took it in. Long and short of the story. The Unit came from RW wired wrong. The charging system malfunctioned as a result and boiled the batteries. They replaced the safety switch that is suppose to protect the batteries and replaced both batteries. Fixed the batteries where they could be serviced. and everything checked out. So all is well that ended well. I never had to get angry or upset with them. I believe they are more than ready to get me out the door. And I am more than ready to go. In my humble opinion RW does a very poor job in the wiring and wire connectors and battery department. looks like my 5 year old grandson wired it up. I have pictures to prove. That. So my trip for now is still on. Yeah!!!! Headed to Nashville for a week and then over to Branson for a week. I should know more about the GK by time I get back.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:18 PM   #13

Glad you are a happy glamper! enjoy your trip.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:29 PM   #14

Safe Travels
Old 09-17-2015, 01:22 AM   #15

I had a feeling it might go that way. Boiling batteries are a pretty serious issue. Glad its fixed and running!
Old 09-17-2015, 02:22 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
good news now you can enjoy your trip
Old 09-17-2015, 02:23 PM   #17

So glad it all worked out. Have a great time in Nashville and Branson. Safe travels.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:24 PM   #18

Hope all works out tomorrow, Let us know what they find.
medium is offline   Reply With Quote