Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2020, 01:56 PM   #1

Adding 12v Outlet in Bedroom

I sleep with a CPAP, and am thinking about adding a 12v outlet in the bedroom of our 3901MB in case we ever overnight somewhere without 12v power. I assume the best way would be to figure out a spot on the board of the breaker/fuse panel to hook to, then run a wire in the wall and cutout for the outlet. Would want it to be on the right side of the bed, between the bedroom and second/powder bathroom. I've never done anything like this in a camper; how much room is there between walls (before I start cutting a hole) and is it difficult to fish a wire from the basement up to a hole in the wall? Any issues finding/connecting to a power supply on the back of the fuse panel? Tips/tricks?

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Lig...8VPGKGJG3CMX2D
Scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #2

I also use CPAP. We were camping on the outer banks NC when the wind was blowing ocean spray onto the overhead electric lines shorting them out and the power was cycling on/off all night long. I did not get much sleep. I decided to do just what you want to do. I bought a DC power supply for my CPAP. It has a male plug on it. I didn't run wires through the walls I bought a female plug and simply popped the switch for the bed light out and tapped into the (+) and (-) wires there. It's not installed in the wall it just hangs there with just a couple of inches of wire. I'm sure you could mount your plug into the wall just below or above the switch, the wires are already there so you don't need to run them. I'm not sure how thick the wall is there. The plug appears to be 1.6" thick. Good luck
robkathybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:18 PM   #3

Thanks for that. Forgot about the lights being 12v and the switch is right there. I assume the CPAP load will be fine on that circuit, as is yours. Thanks!

P.s. And, I meant ‘without 120v power’ in my Original post...
Old 10-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #4

I don't have light on while using CPAP of course. I've attached a document that shows battery draw. Don't know if your machine is on there, but unless you have heated hose and high settings on a humidifier, the draw seems to be 1 or 2 amps. Should not overload any circuit. I've used mine for a while now, I don't have heated hose but I do have humidifier on a low setting. I have not blown any fuses
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ResMed battery guide.pdf (310.0 KB, 10 views)
robkathybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:09 PM   #5

For temp use, you could just plug into the outlet of the TV Antenna Booster up in the left side closet.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
For temp use, you could just plug into the outlet of the TV Antenna Booster up in the left side closet.
It may sound crazy but have you looked really hard under the bed on the sides to make sure you don't have outlets. My 2012 has them on both sides and many RVs have them already there. It's dark under there so grab a flashlight and double check.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:25 AM   #7

They are not talking about 120v outlets ... mine has those on both sides of the bed, but 12v outlets off the batteries ...
webberwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:29 AM   #8

I’ll do some more looking next week, THANKS EVERYONE FOR INFO!