Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
lwg

We should get our new Redwood at the end of the month but I have a few questions for current owners to help me plan out a few things:

1) How long is the 50A power cord?

2) Anyone know where/how to punch through the roof for the installation of Solar, WifiRanger and my Cell Antenna? Typically I mount the Wifi and Cell antenna to the crank up TV antenna (Does the Redwood have one?).

3) We ended up with the Queen Bed as we didn't want to wait the extra 2 months to get a unit exactly like we wanted it. I'm 6'4" and while the queen bed will work (current unit has one) I would LOVE to be able to use our California King Sleep Number Bed. I don't know if the base including cabinets is completely different depending on whether or not there is a King or Queen bed, nor if there's even enough room for a CA King to fit when the slide is closed. BTW, a CA King is 72" Wide x 84" Long as opposed to a King which is 76" X 80".
lwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #2

Not sure about the 50 amp cord length... think they are 30 feet long

RW has a crank up TV Antenna... located in the hallway outside the bathroom in our 38BR. You will have to "snake" cable down to the Convenience Center... ask your dealer about this unless you are really handy.

King Bed will not fit our unit without removing the "night table" on each side of the bed. Others can comment on their experiences.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #3

1) Don't have access to our coachbut I believe it is 25' to 30'

2) We have the 36FL and the solar panel is installed on the door side above the rear door.

3) Which RW are you getting as bedroom layouts are different. On the 36FL I believe the base is the same they just put a larger frame for the king bed. We have a King and believe it is 72" x 80". A longer or higher mattress will not work in the FL as the mattress slides below the wardrobe when the slides close.

A number of others on the forum have Sleep Number beds so they do fit in other models.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg
We should get our new Redwood at the end of the month but I have a few questions for current owners to help me plan out a few things:

2) Anyone know where/how to punch through the roof for the installation of Solar, WifiRanger and my Cell Antenna? Typically I mount the Wifi and Cell antenna to the crank up TV antenna (Does the Redwood have one?).

3) We ended up with the Queen Bed as we didn't want to wait the extra 2 months to get a unit exactly like we wanted it. I'm 6'4" and while the queen bed will work (current unit has one) I would LOVE to be able to use our California King Sleep Number Bed. I don't know if the base including cabinets is completely different depending on whether or not there is a King or Queen bed, nor if there's even enough room for a CA King to fit when the slide is closed. BTW, a CA King is 72" Wide x 84" Long as opposed to a King which is 76" X 80".

My 50 Amp power cable is labled 36 feet.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
lwg

We're getting the 38BR. Looks like it might be the same bedroom as the 36RL and possibly the 36RE.

I'm pretty handy on the roof routing but still find fishing wire very cumbersome at times. I've also considered just mounting it to the rear ladder since the office is right on the other side of the wall. Just want a clean install whatever I end up with.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #6

We just recently bought a 2013 36FB. We had them take out both night stands and put in a King mattress. We felt the King was important to us. I can reach the sink if I lean forward ...to set a water glass etc....but my husband is on the closet side and without a nightstand. I must say that is the ONLY think we don't like about the Redwood.
lcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg

I bought a 50 ft power cord and I also bought the crank up reel made by MoyRide. This makes handling the long power cord easy. We have the slide in slide and switched our bed over to the sleep number bed.

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 07-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #8

Our 36RL has a factory king, but the pedestal is the same as the Queen.You could order the King frame and mattressand remove the side tables and you would be just like the factory King.

If you happen to like the Godiva interior, I even have the brand new King comforter, pillows, and even the valances I would sell you. (We changed to the Sanoma decor in the bedroom). (
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:44 AM   #9
lwg

Hmmm, its sounding like our Cal King "might" work. Since its width is in between a Queen and King sounds like that will work, now if only the length works. Does the king bed touch the dresser when the slide is pulled in? I wonder if deflating the Sleep Number would help with this issue?

BTW, not too worried about removing one nightstand, small loss for big gains IMHO.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:07 AM   #10

I needed a little longer 50 amp cord so I just ordered a 10 ft. extension. Cheaper than buying a longer cord, and If I don't need the extra length I don't have it in the way.
We have the 36RL with the king bed. Missed having something alongside the bed so bought a small shelf for the glasses etc. and mounted it on the wall above the bed. Our previous unit had the sleep number queen so it had to stay when we traded. Went for almost a year before we gave in and replaced the mattress in the Redwood with a sleep number. Went with the Premier RV King Radius. Went with the radius at the foot, to make it easier getting around the foot. I think you are going to have problems with the 84" if it's an RL since the 80" goes right up to the cabinets with the slide in.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #11

Yep, our sleep number is 72 x 80 and it pushes right up against the dresser. For night stands, we bought 2 small glass bathroom shelves from Lowes or Home Depot and mounted them on the wall on each side of the bed. Our power cord is just about 40' as it will run the length of the RW. As for your antenna, you might mount then towards the back and run the cables down thru the rear cap and into a wall plate on the rear wall of the Bonus Room, just a thought.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771
Yep, our sleep number is 72 x 80 and it pushes right up against the dresser. Â*For night stands, we bought 2 small glass bathroom shelves from Lowes or Home Depot and mounted them on the wall on each side of the bed. Â*Our power cord is just about 40' as it will run the length of the RW. Â*As for your antenna, you might mount then towards the back and run the cables down thru the rear cap and into a wall plate on the rear wall of the Bonus Room, just a thought.
Well it sounds like our Cal King is out, oh well. I've seen the RV Radius beds but wasn't sure of their value, this is good to know. Also thanks for the length answer. Sounds like I could probably get a 10' or 20' extension and be good.