Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2017, 02:20 PM   #1

38RL Dining Room Slide Junk!

I am convinced that whomever built the Dining Room slide on my 38RL was an absolute Incompetent Idiot!

The Door Side Slide Room on our 38 RL has been nothing but problems. We have had it to the dealer several times. Same problem still exists.

Here is the situation. The slide goes in, but is leaving a huge mark on the carpet where the slide comes in closest to the DOOR. The other end of the slide seems to be OK. The other problem is a large piece of plastic broke off where the slide runs up over the lifting lip or plastic strip. I have also been picking up pieces of black silicone rubber that rubs off when the slide comes in.

My thoughts are that they slide is not level and is dragging on the Door Side.

I know there are adjuster bolts underneath the slide, but they look as though they have never been adjusted.

I'm thinking this is a Factory Repair or Replacement issue!

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
camper94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Brenda View Post
I am convinced that whomever built the Dining Room slide on my 38RL was an absolute Incompetent Idiot!

The Door Side Slide Room on our 38 RL has been nothing but problems. We have had it to the dealer several times. Same problem still exists.

Here is the situation. The slide goes in, but is leaving a huge mark on the carpet where the slide comes in closest to the DOOR. The other end of the slide seems to be OK. The other problem is a large piece of plastic broke off where the slide runs up over the lifting lip or plastic strip. I have also been picking up pieces of black silicone rubber that rubs off when the slide comes in.

My thoughts are that they slide is not level and is dragging on the Door Side.

I know there are adjuster bolts underneath the slide, but they look as though they have never been adjusted.

I'm thinking this is a Factory Repair or Replacement issue!

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
That issue is common mo many trailers. I had it with my "08" Montego Bay.. Several trips to the dealer and several calls to the mfg with mo fix.. I purchased 2 sets ot these - https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Slide...441DBA7A5252B9

Problem solved
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:13 AM   #3

Smile

Thanks for the reply.

So, you put these under the slide before retracting it? Right now, I'll try anything to fix this annoying problem.

I am tired of dealing with the factory and the dealer.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 09-17-2017, 01:46 AM   #4

You place them on the carpet right where the grease/dark stains happen. There is a flat edge that is the the side up against the slide.. These mark usually happen near the edges of the slide, as thats where the corner moulding is on the bottom of the slide..

I was told that on some coaches, the glue seeps out of that edge, and picks up dirt making it look like grease balls...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:35 AM   #5

Thanks, there is a piece of plastic Redwood uses, black in color, that is attached to the plywood on the bottom of the slide. This plastic strip has completely been ripped off.

I had it at the dealer for about 2 weeks. They claimed to have fixed this part, but NO, it broke off again.

So, I'll try these slide gizmos and see what happens. The biggest worry I have is whether or not the slide will keep going in and out.

Next project is to get under the open slide and use my air gun to blow out the dirt and crap in the gears and then use some dry silicone lube to hopefully stop the squealing when the slide moves in and out!

Thanks for the feedback.

Jeff
Old 09-17-2017, 02:30 PM   #6

I've tried most everything on my 36RL. That slide has made loud, squeeky sounds traveling in/out since it was new. I've yet to lube anything that makes a difference. Probably something beneath the bellypan but what a huge job to access it.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:26 PM   #7

It is interesting how the initial Squealing stops once the slide is up and level moving into the RV and it is only on the Dining Room or Door Side of the RV. I'm gonna try a recommendation by Mark Polk of RV Education 101. Taking my compressed air gun and thoroughly cleaning the gears and the track, then lube it good with 3 in 1 RV Lube and according to Mark Polk, cycle the slide in and out several time to make the lube get into all the gear movement areas.

I'm with you on this problem and this is the first 5th wheel I've had, (this makes #7) that has made so much noise.

I'll get back to you on my progress.

Take Care.

Jeff
Old 09-17-2017, 05:39 PM   #8

We have the same issues. Use the slide slickers and they do help. The plastic caps breaking off was annoying but seems par for the course. I did raise the slide about a 1/4 inch with no change,

Rick
Old 09-18-2017, 01:44 AM   #9

Jeff, the problem is that there is a corresponding gear drive on the inside of the frame rail above the bellypan.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:31 AM   #10

I was told not to use a lubricant that can attract dirt. Any easy test is to spray the lube on a piece of cardboard and throw some dirt on it. If the dirt sticks, don't use it. It will only make the problem worse.

For years I have used a dry graphite lube, Slip plate. I used it as recommended by Pullrite on my old slider hitch. I then started to use it on my slides. A good coat on the track plus the gear takes care of the problem.

Hope that helps.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote