Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #1

The following is an email I have sent to Redwood about how unhappy I am with their customer service, product, and all around quality of my Redwood 36re.
I am an extremely unsatisfied customer. I have spent an exorbitant amount of money to have a quality coach. I do not feel my Redwood 36re is of any level of quality at all. In fact I believe it is actually a lemon. Ever since the first day I picked my custom ordered, "residential luxury fifth-wheel" up from the dealership I have had issue after issue with it. I have notified the dealership as well as Redwood directly over these issues, with little to nothing being done. I even had to spend thousands of dollars in a hotel while my unit spent weeks at the dealership for "repairs". Did they fix the issues while it was there you ask? No, not at all. <div id="yui_3_7_2_1_1361890572172_4387"> Please read the following issues I have had with my custom ordered, Residential, $109,000 msrp, Redwood 36re.</span></span></span><ul id="yui_3_7_2_1_1361890572172_4392"><li id="yui_3_7_2_1_1361890572172_4391">A large crack in the shower when I received it from the dealership. Redwood was notified. It spent weeks at the dealership being "fixed". It was never fixed, I again notified Redwood to no avail.</span></span></span><li id="yui_3_7_2_1_1361890572172_4396">My large window in the dining room slide-out busted. Nothing hit it, we were actually sitting there when it suddenly blew out. I notified Redwood in November when it happened. I had to fight and struggle with them just to get them to agree to cover it. Now almost four months later I still don't have a window. </span></span></span><li id="yui_3_7_2_1_1361890572172_4400">The large bottom compartment that is supposed to be fully sealed and winterized...ya mine somehow always has water in it.Even though that was one of the selling points through Redwood. I'm not talking</span></span> about collecting a little moisture either. I'm telling you it has full on water puddles. I had to purchase extra containers to place under there to protect everything from getting wet.</span></span></span>[*]All the wood trim around the door entrance has bowed out and is coming away from the wall.<li id="yui_3_7_2_1_1361890572172_4445">All the trim on the ceiling is doing the same thing. All the way from the front of the trailer to the back, yes the whole ceiling.<li id="yui_3_7_2_1_1361890572172_4425">The wall in the dining room slide is coming apart. It has literally detached itself and I can stick my arm inside where the insulation "should" be.<li id="yui_3_7_2_1_1361890572172_4444">My electric/gas hot water heater only works on propane. Yes, I told Redwood about this months ago. Redwood response: Yes we are aware of this problem, that is happening on all of our units. My response: You should send out a recall. Redwood response: Not enough people have noticed or come forward. My response: Absolutely Unacceptable ! FYI, my water heater still doesn't work on electric and I still haven't received a recall. <li id="yui_3_7_2_1_1361890572172_4443">The toppers on our slide-outs are extremely loose. They have been like that since day one. When we first brought it back to the dealership that was supposed to be one of the things fixed and approved by Redwood. Apparently not.
<b id="yui_3_7_2_1_1361890572172_4442">We notified Redwood ,it was supposed to be fixed still hasn't happened.[/b]<li id="yui_3_7_2_1_1361890572172_4441">We opted for the keypad beside the door. Did we pay extra for it? We certainly did. It hasn't worked right since the day we got it. It quit working altogether within six months. We notified Redwood, it was supposed to be fixed still hasn't happened. <li id="yui_3_7_2_1_1361890572172_4440">We have a ceiling fan in our living room. You can turn it on but it does not move air at all. All it does is scream, wobble around viciously and look like it's going to pull down my ceiling. We notified Redwood, it was supposed to be fixed still hasn't happened.<li id="yui_3_7_2_1_1361890572172_4439">The drawer and cabinet latches do not work. They seize up within themselves</span> and prevent things from even closing. <b id="yui_3_7_2_1_1361890572172_4438">We notified Redwood, it was supposed to be fixed still hasn't happened. [/b]<li id="yui_3_7_2_1_1361890572172_4437">Our "residential" recliners barely recline at all. The foot rest only comes maybe six inches off the floor and the back barely leans back at all.[/list]<div id="yui_3_7_2_1_1361890572172_4436"> <b id="yui_3_7_2_1_1361890572172_4434">These aren't even all the issues, yes there are more. My unit isn't even a year old yet. My husband and I work very hard, we travel all over the country and spend 90% of the year, if not more, in our coach. We have lived this way for 7 years, so our knowledge of fifth wheels and how to care for them is vast. We shopped and researched for 2 years before settling on Redwood. As I said before my husband and I work hard and paid a large amount of money for what we thought was going to be a quality unit. Now it appears to be coming apart around us. We're very disappointed and disgusted</span></span>. This is something no consumer should have to put up with. Redwood claims a quality product, well I don't have one. I want Redwood to stand behind their name and take responsibility. I'm sick and tired of being strung along, it's time for action to be taken and for my husband and I to have the quality unit we paid for and were promised.[/b] </span><div id="yui_3_7_2_1_1361890572172_4429"> <str&#111;ng id="yui_3_7_2_1_1361890572172_4426">Everytime I call Redwood I never get called back, I have to email repeatedly to get emailed back. They claim customer service is of importance to them. I don't feel that it truly is. I want something done about my unit and I don't want to be strung along any further. This is absolutely unacceptable.[/b]</span></span><div id="yui_3_7_2_1_1361890572172_4431"></span></span>
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Ashley, Sorry for your problems. I contacted Redwood management and they are very interested in talking to you and starting to resolve your problems. Someone from Redwood will be contacting you soon.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #3

You can only hope that there are two sides to this story because it's this kind of thing that scares the beejezuz out of new owners and prospective owners.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #4

Thank you Blenhardt and I was contacted about an hour or so ago for the first time in over a month. I really appreciate whatever you did !! I really want these issues resolved because it's a HUGE disappointment right now.
Spindrift, you're right this is the kind of stuff that scares the crap out of prospective buyers and current owners. It's the kind of thing I wish I could have known about beforehand. I believe in sharing information and educating myself as well as anyone out there as much as possible, that's why I waited so long before I even purchased my Redwood.
I am not trying to speak ugly of Redwood at all I'm just trying to get my situation rectified and alert people to be fully aware of what you're looking at. If Redwood stands behind my product as they should, and makes the situation right I will rave about them and let everyone I know, the same goes if they don't. 95% of the people I know purchase a new RV every 2-5 years. That's a lot of business to be had just from the people I travel countrywide with.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Site Team

Asley, Happy that Redwood has contacted you and am confident that they will begin to rectify your problems ina timely manner and you can begin to enjoy your coach as you should. We really enjoy ours.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #6

I have a problem believing everything Ashley said. I have had some minor problems with our 2012 RW34SK. Both Lazy Days in Tucson and Redwood have stepped-up and addressed everything on my list including metal drawer latches. True we do not use our rig for full time living, but I would not have anyreservations doing so. I know I have a dealer and manufacturer that will stand behind what they sell. Just my 2 cents and Ashley I am sorry for your troubles.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #7

That is your opinion. I have pictures of every issue on my coach. I also have emails and phone records where i have repeatedly contacted redwood. I just want my coach fixed. I'm glad you're happy with yours. I'm sure not every unit on their line has had the issues mine does, however that doesn't change the fact that I've paid for a quality unit which i don't have. Thank you.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #8

Ashley, who is your dealer? I am just concerned because we pick up our new 36 rl in May and I would just be depressed if this happens to us. We will be full-timing right off the lot. I need my coach to perform and exceed my expectations which Redwood has elevated. I wish you nothing but the best and hope to hell your issues are resolved ASAP.

Thanks for sharing. Please keep us posted.

Rick
Old 02-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #9

Hi Ashley,

We had some trim issues with our 38 BR that were quickly addressed by our dealer this Fall. We don't like our recliners either... very hard to make recline. Did not get a response I was happy with from the dealer. Have a chair at home that now does the same thing. Will watch the service tech fix the home chair and hopefully apply the same fix to the RW. As you can see from my byline we did not get the ceiling fan... they are a PITA when the house is standing still!

Please keep us posted on your success or lack thereof in getting all your issues addressed.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #10

Ashley sorry about all your problems I have had my 36RL for five months and have had only a couple of minor things that needed to be corrected I too would like to know who the dealer is mine bends over backwards to make things right they even paid for the night at a RV park close to them when they did not get done in one day like they thought they would........
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:42 AM   #11

Our dealer is Primeaux Rv. I really don't think they're the issue. They have tried. They have to have consent from Redwood for everything and Redwood has drug their feet the whole way. I really feel like I have just been strung along and pushed to the side in hopes that maybe I would just give up. I'm extremely frustrated!
Brad what did they say was causing your trim issues and how were they resolved? If you don't mind my asking.
We too live out of our Fifth wheel because we travel countrywide for work and leisure. More for work unfortunately lol. We take excellent care of our unit. It has only been Louisiana and Texas so far so it hasn't even traveled as extensively as we do. This is a worry for me because if it's already having these types of issues then how is it going to hold up in the future? This has been an easy year we've been in the same state all year. Most years we visit 3 or more states throughout the year.
Thank you all for the kind words. I will keep you posted and I reallywant a happy outcome.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #12

Ashley...I have had many of your problems with my unit. Just glued the ceiling into place myself and will be working on the paneling under the back window this weekend. I do my own repairs as I am full time and do not want to spend my time at the repair shop. The problem is that the builders of the Redwood are still making the units with the same problems. Some owners it seems accept taking their unit in for repairs time and time again. It must be fun for them. But not for others. My unit was built in Feb 2102 and the problems that I have had are the same that many are still having. Yes all RVs have problems but for rig after rig to have the same problems just shows that these problems are not addressed when the new units are built. If I had it to do over I would not buy a Redwood. I am not to proud to say I made a mistake. I will and do tell this to everyone. Yes Redwood is pretty but functional ? Next big fix...door sideslide when all the way in has gap all the way down the slide. Dust and water enters. Slide in as far as possible. When I am done fixing everthing it will be in top notch condition. Then I can sell it...better than new
DonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMac

My unit was built in Feb 2102.....
Gulp - a look into the future! You would think after almost a century they would start to do something right.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #14

Wow Donmac I hate that you are also having these issues. It is an absolute shame that many units are having these problems. That's one reason I am trying so hard to make Redwood stand behind this product and fix it. There are many shoppers out there looking at these coaches and need to be aware of what they're buying. I also don't want to admit I made a mistake purchasing a redwood. I don't want to take it in for repair after repair either. I too am in my unit primarily full time and it is an extreme hassle and costly to have to sit in a hotel and wait for repairs to be made. Especially when you pick it up and the repairs have indeed not even been fixed and some ,in my case, even made worse. I just want Redwood to do what they should as a manufacturer and give me the unit I was promised when I signed the papers and paid all this money to begin with. I really hope your repairs go well and your coach works out for you.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #15

It's a shame that you're having so many problems. I hope Redwood comes through for you like they have for everyone else.

From your description, it sounds like your dealer did a terrible job prep'ing your unit for delivery and sitting a a hotel for days while nothing gets straightened out also speaks poorly of your dealer. It must be very frustrating to receive your unit back with virtually nothing corrected.

If it was me, I'd find another dealer just to clean the slate.Going to the same place over and over and expecting a different resultdoesn't seem to be working for you.

Redwood has had a number of QC issues that are well documented here, but nearly everyone here is satisfied in how Redwood came through with focused and timely responses totheir problems. Unless something has changed, I would continue to work with Redwood and have them suggest a well trained dealer in your area who will work hard to resolve your list of problems.

PS,Thewaterheater on my RL would also only run on propane - not A/C. Dealer couldn't find the issue. It turns out that the 12V red wire from the monitor panel had vibrated loose from it's connection in the bundle above the WH control box in the basement. Without this wire,the relay won't allowA/Cto any point on the unit - themos, heating element, switch, etc. If you have no power anywhere when you remove the outside door,have the dealer check this.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley
Especially when you pick it up and the repairs have indeed not even been fixed and some ,in my case, even made worse.
So how does this exclude the Dealer from the problem?
Old 02-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #17

The dealer is not the company that builds these units. It is the builder that continues to make the same mistakes. If you look all through this forum you see that most of the people are having the same problems and they are not changing the building pattern. The items that are put in each unit are not consistant. They go with the cheapest bidder for parts. Some folks just get use to living with problems and to have to fix them is just ok. I am paid to fix other peoples problems. If the builder paid more attention to quality one would not have to return to the dealer for repairs due to the work not being done right in the first place. Anyone want to place a wager on how long they will continue to build the Redwood? Perhaps in the near future they will become collector items.
DonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #18

I just asked why the Dealer has no part in delivering unfinished repairs or repairs less than satisfactory. Just common expectations regardless of the builder.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #19

I would sure like to see someone from Redwood comment here. I think we need a bit of positive reinforcement. Maybe I would be better off walking away and losing my down payment come April.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #20
Site Team

I am not from Redwood but will comment. A large majority of people on this forum are very happy with their Redwood coaches, including me. A few people have had some problems and that is disappointing. In addition, most Redwood owners are not even on this forum and are not complaining about quality issues because they are happy with their Redwood. In Ashleys case, give Redwood a chance to fix the problems. Theyhave a reputation of taking care of problems.