Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2016, 08:34 PM   #1

1st Year Warranty Claims

Well we have had our RW for just over 1 year and have had some issues most of them minor. Most of them could have been taken care of with better QC at the factory.

1. No adjustment pins in the slide awing arms. (Pitch could not be adjusted) Owner fixed
2. Wrong blind on the main slide window. (blind to short for window) Owner fixed
3. Water line to ice maker cracked and leaked. Owner fixed
4. Plastic water Valves for washer broken handle. ( could not turn off water) To be replaced at service call in Jan 2016
5. Rear Cap separation at bottom of Trailer Trim has come off and has to be secured To be replaced at service call in Jan 2016
6. fireplace stopped working. (has been unplugged for replacement) To be replaced at service call in Jan 2016.
7. Two Main slide seals are cracked or torn in places. To be replaced at service call in Jan 2016
8. Front door seam separation at hinges. To be replaced at service call in Jan 2016

Even with these issues we have been happy with our RW for the most part. The dealer service has sucked and hard to deal with. Hopefully it will not take to long to get all the issues fixed, It was hard to get it fixed while living in FT but now that we are moving into the new house we can take it in and wait for the repairs to be done.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #2

It gets better I think.

The first year:
  1. Rear window latch broke - self fixed with parts from Redwood/Dealer
  2. Shower fixtures peeling - self fixed with parts from Redwood/Dealer
  3. Cabinet door hinges broke - self fixed with painted parts from Dealer
  4. Leaf spring separated and all springs hit shackle - Redwood paid for fix direct
  5. Interior slide panel popped off wall - self fixed
  6. All slide seals turned to gum - self replaced with purchased parts from Dealer
The second year:

1. None

The third year:
  1. Inteior slide panel popped off again - pending
  2. Shackles too long for 8K axles per Engineering - self fix with parts from Redwood
  3. Shower fixtures peeling - again - I give up
  4. Bushings shot in suspension - leaf spring separating again - pending
Remarkably trouble free, but more than our last rig by Keystone. We are vacationers, so not near the wear and tear as most.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:34 AM   #3

This could turn into a very educational thread for both the owners and RW.

1st year of ownership.

1) 3 heater cage fans and 2 complete heaters so maybe this time they will find the actual problem.
2) Level up system wiring issue in front compartment.
3) Rewired shut off switch.
4) Many loose wires on slide control switches.
5) 2 new door locks.
6) 2 wire swing guards for under slides.
7) Front trim near pin on one side was loose.
8) Complete roof on kitchen slide.
9) 3 latches that hold exterior fridge panel on.
10) 2 complete new entry/screen doors and painted.
11) 2 new fender skirts and painted.
12) Re-engineer and correct AC system.
13) Pocket door and trim replaced to bedroom.
14) Misc. interior trim replaced.
15) Wire junction box by pin. Wires came apart and was not charging.
16) Repair slide draws so they slide out instead of pulling on them

17) 4 new tires and shackles upgraded (on me not RW since I didn't feel safe with what it came with)

I'm sure I have forgot a few but this is the first year. RW has been GREAT with all repairs both by the service center and my mobile tech. I do have to pay my mobile guy myself but RW sends a check direct to me for his work.
We love our RW and the main disappointment is the amount of fixes it needs. Our last SOB was much lesser in cost when new and only a fraction of the problems. I am a firm believer that all my issues could have been resolved if QC were doing their job. I sure hope it has changed.

Steve
Old 01-06-2016, 04:58 PM   #4

Here is my list of bugs on our 2013 36 RL:

1. Bedroom slide wouldn't open on first trip home from dealer – bracket under the bed fouled the side preventing opening (self fix)
  2. Front cap fading – first painting of poor quality, second painting to be done in spring, rear cap also fading but Redwood denied claim.
  3. Brakes covered with grease – too much grease pumped in at the factory – brakes replaced and larger gauge wire ran from the front to improve braking strength.
  4. Suspension toast after 2.5 years – replaced with wet bolts and MorRyde
  5. Furnace failed – replaced main board.
  6. Fridge failed – replaced “eyebrow” push button assembly between fridge and freezer.
  7. Numerous other minor fixes (cupboard door latches replaced, additional latches on Washer/Dryer doors that were missing upon delivery.
  8. Water heater electric side failed due to thermostat wire chafing and shorted to metal at black reset button – replacement wire and thermostat.
  9. Rear window latch broke caused by sofa hitting latch, anchored sofa, latch replacement pending.
  10. Sewer odour from vent under sink and from the vent for the washer, still fighting those battles!
Old 01-06-2016, 05:57 PM   #5

Looks like we have all had some of the similar issues. I have not pulled ours very far yet only in Oregon and Washington about 500-600 miles in the last year. I hope to take it on some longer trips this year. We will see if thee are any suspension issues that come up. That is unless my DW decides she wants to go back to a MH she liked riding in the front better than in the truck pulling the 5er. Happy Wife Happy Life.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:23 PM   #6

Makes one wonder where the QC is and /or problems with their construction methods and/or their design engineering. I can only relate to the first RV I purchased a which was Coachman TT with one slide out. After initially making them remove and replace the exterior decals I had the unit 6 years with absolutely no problems and never went back to the dealer. In addition I never had to fix anything myself. And yes it had AC, heat, toilet, shower and a roof, and tanks Maybe there was some good to these old wood frame units with aluminum sides. I would be steaming to have the problems many are having with brand new units.

The problem with many of you is that you only use it periodically. I would be curious to hear from full timers on what their experience is. I am quickly approaching a year full timing in mine (stationary, no travel). I wonder how many additional problems I would have with traveling which troubles me. With suspensions failing and roofs trying to blow off going down the road I wonder if I should get something else when I do travel full time. Sounds like at a minimum I need to upgrade the suspension and get one of them new armor roofs

I wish one could search this site better as I run across some horror stories and when I try to find them again I cannot. Someone should make a maintenance list on what to really look for during the ownership of a RW. There is a wealth of information on this site but it is often hard to find with these threads that run on for years

I found a thread a few weeks ago that showed the bottom plywood rotting out on a 36RL dinning room slide. It actually had green mold. It was really an eye opener on this design flaw, at least the early 36RL and possibly other models. A lot of people never experience some problems as they rarely use there units and they are not exposed to extended periods of heavy rain with the slides extended. This would also help with those buying used units who may be searching this site for helpful information to assist them.
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:07 PM   #7

[QUOTE=GA1817;60191]

I wish one could search this site better as I run across some horror stories and when I try to find them again I cannot. Someone should make a maintenance list on what to really look for during the ownership of a RW. There is a wealth of information on this site but it is often hard to find with these threads that run on for years

If everybody would stay on topic when posting to a thread, it would be very simple to search and find what you are looking for.
Simply following this from the community rules would help a lot.

Please post in the proper category.

Also there is some blame to be placed on the forum moderators for not catching and correcting threads when they get off topic.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #8

(says a moderator from the other site I visit )
Hi Lloyd

I posted my list a long time ago, but given the non-disclosure agreements, I may have had them removed
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:49 AM   #9

I no longer think RW has any QC

1. The delivery driver did a lot of damage to my rig on the curb side. When I took delivery no one at the dealership told me about the damage. I couldn't even get anyone to go around the rig with me to do a proper PDI. I found the damage after getting home this was in September 2015 and I am still finding damage done by the driver. How can RW and the dealer sell a rig knowing it was damaged in transport. now I am stuck with damaged goods.
  2. Front door bubbles in paint
  3. Curb side slide roof bowing down and holding water. bow is noticeable on the inside. Rubber not glued down, rubber seals not in contact with roof due to bowing.
  4. all compartment doors leak. The doors fill with rain water and drain when doors are opened up leaving stains on the white panel on the inside.
  5. Bedroom window can not use due to manufacture. need new window
  6. Bedroom slide leaks, slide seals missing. water runs down cables to the inside. outside gaskets torn.
  7. Bedroom slide roof rubber is separating and air is filling the void.
  8. Paint job over kitchen slide is banana peeling.
  9. Gray water tank not secured, electrical 110 wires were laid under the tank instead of running beside the tank.
  10. Ice maker hose not run properly.
  11. Cable tv not working, part not installed.
  12. Fresh water tank not secured. tank doesn't hold water instead if fills the underbelly.
  13. Celling fan switch not connected to fan.
  14. Toilet doesn't flush properly instead it blow back into the bowl.
  15. Bathroom double sinks do not drain properly instead both sinks fill with water.
  16. Window shades, not one shade is centered on the window.
  17. Axels, rubber grease caps missing.
  18. wood trim falling off around windows.
  19. Ladder installed on wrong side , should be installed on drivers side so fire escape window opens all the way for exiting.
  20. Front cap fills with water.
  21. fiberglass behind 5th wheel hitch falling down. no not secured to a frame to holed it up.
  22. I HOPE RW will step up and make things right selling some one damaged goods I think is against the law.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET156 View Post
  1. The delivery driver did a lot of damage to my rig on the curb side. When I took delivery no one at the dealership told me about the damage. I couldn't even get anyone to go around the rig with me to do a proper PDI. I found the damage after getting home this was in September 2015 and I am still finding damage done by the driver. How can RW and the dealer sell a rig knowing it was damaged in transport. now I am stuck with damaged goods.
  2. Front door bubbles in paint
  3. Curb side slide roof bowing down and holding water. bow is noticeable on the inside. Rubber not glued down, rubber seals not in contact with roof due to bowing.
  4. all compartment doors leak. The doors fill with rain water and drain when doors are opened up leaving stains on the white panel on the inside.
  5. Bedroom window can not use due to manufacture. need new window
  6. Bedroom slide leaks, slide seals missing. water runs down cables to the inside. outside gaskets torn.
  7. Bedroom slide roof rubber is separating and air is filling the void.
  8. Paint job over kitchen slide is banana peeling.
  9. Gray water tank not secured, electrical 110 wires were laid under the tank instead of running beside the tank.
  10. Ice maker hose not run properly.
  11. Cable tv not working, part not installed.
  12. Fresh water tank not secured. tank doesn't hold water instead if fills the underbelly.
  13. Celling fan switch not connected to fan.
  14. Toilet doesn't flush properly instead it blow back into the bowl.
  15. Bathroom double sinks do not drain properly instead both sinks fill with water.
  16. Window shades, not one shade is centered on the window.
  17. Axels, rubber grease caps missing.
  18. wood trim falling off around windows.
  19. Ladder installed on wrong side , should be installed on drivers side so fire escape window opens all the way for exiting.
  20. Front cap fills with water.
  21. fiberglass behind 5th wheel hitch falling down. no not secured to a frame to holed it up.
  22. I HOPE RW will step up and make things right selling some one damaged goods I think is against the law.
I would bring this directly back to the Factory Service Center!!!!! Sounds like the dealer is useless. I have no regrets bringing it back. They repaired everything.

Steve
Old 02-18-2016, 03:17 AM   #11

Ed

I would hope you are in contact with RW on most of these issues. I would be on the phone everyday to get this resolved. Christian May be able to help you with the contacts to RW direct. Last time I saw you were taking yours to B Young for service How did that go? Mine is there now and they usually do a decent job on warranty claims.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:27 AM   #12
Site Team

That's quite a list. I think I'd be calling the factory for some help.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
Ed

I would hope you are in contact with RW on most of these issues. I would be on the phone everyday to get this resolved. Christian May be able to help you with the contacts to RW direct. Last time I saw you were taking yours to B Young for service How did that go? Mine is there now and they usually do a decent job on warranty claims.
I bought my Rig at byoung rv and yes it goes back in to their shop on the 22nd of Feb. I know that Byoung has done their best to get my rig in to the shop and getting all the parts needed for repairs. But I am not sure where this is going with the body damage. I blame RW not Byoung for selling me damaged goods. I have been on the phone with RW since Sept. 2015 Mark @ warranty is doing what he can to get things done but no answer about drivers damage. I like my RW I just don't like the conditions in witch it was sold to me.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET156 View Post
I bought my Rig at byoung rv and yes it goes back in to their shop on the 22nd of Feb. I know that Byoung has done their best to get my rig in to the shop and getting all the parts needed for repairs. But I am not sure where this is going with the body damage. I blame RW not Byoung for selling me damaged goods. I have been on the phone with RW since Sept. 2015 Mark @ warranty is doing what he can to get things done but no answer about drivers damage. I like my RW I just don't like the conditions in witch it was sold to me.
Just got off the phone with MARK @ RW and he has assured me that Byoung has all the parts at the shop to do all repairs. New side panels for curb side are there and any more part that are needed will be sent quickly
Old 02-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #15

It sounds like you may have had the same delivery driver as Kaidocl....

I believe his damage from delivery ( tire issues) was close to $10,000.00 ??
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #16
Site Team

I guess they're scraping the bottom of the barrel with the delivery drivers.

Most of the drivers I see pulling the RVs seem to be doing a pretty good job. I did see a couple of "Hot Dogs" in the the South bound Rest area by St Louis that ended up doing some VERY tight "jack Knife" u turns that made me scream. They even bounced the trailers over the parking blocks without slowing down. It was obvious that they had no regard for the trailers they were pulling.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:22 PM   #17

I guess I would fit in with the rest of us with a short list of minor owner repaired problems. During the first year the only dealer item i couldn't find or fix was a roof leak. the dealer couldn't find it either. I had the dealer do a roof maintenance and the leak was gone though they could never find the cause. I'm picking up my rig in the next month to start our third season.
I have to say I think my selling dealer is great and has addressed any problems I had ASAP. I have also spoken to others who used the same dealer and had nothing nice to say about them.
What can I say you can't please all people and we all don't have the same experiences.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
I guess I would fit in with the rest of us with a short list of minor owner repaired problems. During the first year the only dealer item i couldn't find or fix was a roof leak. the dealer couldn't find it either. I had the dealer do a roof maintenance and the leak was gone though they could never find the cause. I'm picking up my rig in the next month to start our third season.
I have to say I think my selling dealer is great and has addressed any problems I had ASAP. I have also spoken to others who used the same dealer and had nothing nice to say about them.
What can I say you can't please all people and we all don't have the same experiences.
Steve , do you use the folks in West Chester ?
Old 02-18-2016, 08:21 PM   #19

I took my trailer on the 3K - 3 week shake down trip and and had an appointment a few weeks later to have the D/W installed. While there they fixed the following under warranty:

1-added additional clear caulking around the shower
2-lubed main awning arm , it was sticking every once and a while
3-rubbed out a few scratches in paint , very light and came right out
4-removed excess "glue" drips from front cap
5- re-installed the red LED strip on the front cap , about 6" was loose

I think that was it , I will be using it for our first trip in about a month so I will see if anything else needs to be looked at.

Dropped it off on a Thursday night after work , had an appointment scheduled for that Friday , got a call around 3:00 or so telling me I was all done.. Went Saturday morning and took her home!.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
Steve , do you use the folks in West Chester ?

Yes I do, they have always taken care of me. I would buy from them again in the future should the need arise.
On a side note my camper is at Spring Gulch and I'll be there for opening weekend and the month of April.
What are your early season plans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk