Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2020, 11:15 PM   #1

12v electrical issue on light over kit. island

Have not been in a month which is good as have not identified in new RW assembly issues 😂. To day I decided to change out the 12v bulbs over the island with LED bulbs, so changed out first one, blows fuse, replace fuse put regular bulbs back in... blow fuse. Decided maybe it was switch as my wife had told me that the wall switch panel was hot sometimes. No spare so pulled Rarely used switch by dining table and exchanged ( shade tree 101!). Put led in and blew fuse again. Put 3 new regular bulbs in, blew fuse, replaced, pulled 1 bulb, blew fuse, replace fuse... pulled 2 nd bulb, light fixture now works. Added regular bulb, blows fuse. So now it is a one bulb fixture. Comments welcome😀
Pockets52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:49 PM   #2

Not all bulbs are created equal. Some have single pin that makes contact. Some have 2 pins that make contact. Of course the base makes contact itself, but by using the wrong bulb it can cause the fuse to blow. Take a close look at the bulbs and the sockets.

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:03 AM   #3

12 v bulb

Thanks for reply, very familiar with bulbs (7 th rv.) but I did recheck just to make sure was a single pin. As it blew a different when I tried new bulbs in fixture over dining room table I suspected new bulbs but stymied now as to why I can only install and run one bulb in the fixture over the kitchen island with out blowing fuse again. If you think of anything else please share 👍
Old 07-23-2020, 09:24 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Is the fuse big enough. Are you putting on same wattage or higher with new regular bulbs. I would take the fixture out and check it for shorted wire or socket
Old 07-23-2020, 11:37 PM   #5

Proceed no further without checking if you have a shorted wire at the bulb socket...seen it many times as the twisting force to install bulbs can move the socket and twist the wires so they short...thankfully the fuses are doing there job...saving you unit from a fire..Wes
2015 38RL, Full Body Paint, Slide in Slide, full Laundry, RV Fridge, 5.5 Onan, Magnum Inverter Charger, Samlex Solar, Trav'ler Sat System. Heated Tanks, R.O. Filtration, Sailun Tires**2016 F-450, Reese 25K Elite
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:37 PM   #6

I have a shorted wire at the socket from removing the lightbulb. I need to dfind a new socket to fix it.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:57 PM   #7

Next on my list, going to disassemble the sockets
Old 08-02-2020, 06:23 PM   #8

Be careful. The threaded plastic piece is very fragile.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote